Heading for Arran

We arrived home yesterday from our four days on Arran. Arran was much quieter than in summer, hardly any vans on the island, we spent two nights at Kerrs point alone. Only the occasional car turning up during daytime.
Since it was our birthdays soon we had decided to try out the new facilities at Auchrannie for two nights. I paid £50 for both nights. The facilities were excellent, probably amongst the best we have ever used. The stop over only takes 8 vans and only three were present each night. The showers and toilet facilities were first class. I was told that the owners are keen Motorhome owners and it showed in the way things were set up. We dined both nights in one of three restaurants, the food was ok but expensive. If you like red wine the wines on offer were excellent particularly the Malbec at £26.95 a bottle.
We would go back with our grandson in the summer and use the spa and swimming pool facilities (at extra cost). We will also have a go at the archery.
I appreciate this is not wild camping, but if you ever fancy a bit of Motorhome luxury for a special occasion, it’s well worth thinking about. But book well in advance due to only 8 pitches (6m apart) being available.

Never been to Arran but if (when) I go I'd use this place for a treat . Sounds great as does the wilder parts of the island .

A sausage roll from the old pier tearoom in Lamlash is amazing and is a meal on its own

Never tried there. They used to do quite nice meals, their cheese burgers I remember were really tasty topped with the Arran Dunlop Cheddar (I think the creamery that made it is now defunct) but this year it looked like they were just doing cakes and stuff.

That reminds me. We did find the best sausage rolls I have ever tasted in the village of Gosforth in the western Lake District. Little place attached to the mini supermarket. Excellent bakers there also. Something else we missed on Arran. A decent bakers. Woolies stuff is awful although the Sour Dough bread from the Coop is pretty decent.

Both mornings before the tide came in at Kerrs point Margnaheglish, we had this young grey seal for company. I took these shots on my camera using a zoom lens. I have just transferred them to my iPad this morning.

66CEAD2A-9354-4DE5-AFE9-8C5ACDC06A79.jpeg
D346586F-EA18-44AA-87C6-26D4D4625809.jpeg
A13D454D-9058-4ED5-80B3-6F6278F2F790.jpeg
6E3F0FE3-BBB1-46E5-A58F-74877038B891.jpeg
D0FE1A17-1ADE-48A6-89C6-CB05072A43DC.jpeg

You can do a cruise on it for an afternoon from Arran. We did it once. The engine room can be seen from inside the boat. Its amazing.
Way back in the 80s I was the wedding photographer on a wedding on the Waverley. They did a trip to Campbeltown from Glasgow and after I had finished taking the photos I had a great time at the reception and enjoyed the summer cruise. We almost lost the ferry when it struck the Gantocks rock in the firth of Clyde, but government and charities got it back were it belongs.

Last edited:
I've been to Mull, Arran and Skye Barry but would dearly love to go to Jura and Islay. I spent a holiday once on a tiny island in a log cabin (owned by a chap called Falcon Scott who is the grandson of Scott of the Antartic). This was quite close to Jura at a place called Craobh (pronounced Croove) not far from Oban. I would dearly love to go out in a boat and witness the whirlpool at the Gulf of Corryvrekan.

You're probably right about the island hopper, I will look into it nearer the time. I would presume travellin on the ferries by motorbike would be cheaper than a car or camper?
I once tried to buy a stuffed baby seal from a shop in Oban, but when I asked if it came with a club she threw me out of the shop? I think there is a trip boat from Craignish to the Corry?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back