Heading for Arran

Fisherman

Arrived on Arran, weather great, and on our own at favourite spot. :)

A79533B1-3803-4758-A3F3-98E13AA603D4.jpeg

I know where that is. top of the road between Brodick and Lamlash. Never stayed there as I assumed there would be a fair bit of road noise being on the fastest stretch of the island and probably cars in the morning parking up to go hiking but good views up there.

Looks like you have some clear weather though. Watch out of the Dolphins. I wonder if they are still around. They had naffed off by the end of August though.

I know where that is. top of the road between Brodick and Lamlash. Never stayed there as I assumed there would be a fair bit of road noise being on the fastest stretch of the island and probably cars in the morning parking up to go hiking but good views up there.

Looks like you have some clear weather though. Watch out of the Dolphins. I wonder if they are still around. They had naffed off by the end of August though.
We’re not staying there Barry we are at Kerr point marganaheglish near lambast

We’re not staying there Barry we are at Kerr point marganaheglish near lambast

Good spot. Stayed a couple of times in the summer but it did get busy then so preferred the western shore on the last trip. Michelle liked the picnic spot about a mile south of Corrie where we often saw the Dolphins and they ended up singing to me in the middle of the night :D but its a bit noisy by the road but nowhere is ever that busy even in summer. I think my favourite now is the shore near Dougaire / Machrie.

Did you ever try the CL at Kings Cross? I think you maybe said you had. If you get that end pitch there its fabulous. We ended up there a couple of times just before we left when I was starting to have battery trouble. £20 a night, bit steep for a CL but the views and tranquility are amazing.

Good spot. Stayed a couple of times in the summer but it did get busy then so preferred the western shore on the last trip. Michelle liked the picnic spot about a mile south of Corrie where we often saw the Dolphins and they ended up singing to me in the middle of the night :D but its a bit noisy by the road but nowhere is ever that busy even in summer. I think my favourite now is the shore near Dougaire / Machrie.

Did you ever try the CL at Kings Cross? I think you maybe said you had. If you get that end pitch there its fabulous. We ended up there a couple of times just before we left when I was starting to have battery trouble. £20 a night, bit steep for a CL but the views and tranquility are amazing.
There used to be two cls at kings cross we stayed in the other one Barry. I would rather head to the campsite in Kildonan for £25 stunning sea views great beech with all facilities. Here’s were we are for two nights.

54343C70-2F91-4AE2-B475-1AA789ABFAC4.jpeg

I've only been to Arran once and that was just for a day working so I didn't really get to see it properly.

Sadly Julie can't travel on boats any more due to medical conditions so the only one of the western Isles we can visit now is Skye. Me and a mate are touring Scotland on the bikes next year though, so we might get an Island hopper ticket for the ferries if they still do them.

I dont think the island hoppers (hopscotch) save any money Rob but you could easy do Arran, over to Kintyre then maybe Jura, Islay or up to Mull. Cracking ride from Dumfries to Ardrossan and the road from Kintyre to Oban for Mull is a cracker. I remember doing it in about an hour the other way round about twenty years ago in my Prelude from Mull to Arran and it was a corker of a drive.

I dont think the island hoppers (hopscotch) save any money Rob but you could easy do Arran, over to Kintyre then maybe Jura, Islay or up to Mull. Cracking ride from Dumfries to Ardrossan and the road from Kintyre to Oban for Mull is a cracker. I remember doing it in about an hour the other way round about twenty years ago in my Prelude from Mull to Arran and it was a corker of a drive.

I've been to Mull, Arran and Skye Barry but would dearly love to go to Jura and Islay. I spent a holiday once on a tiny island in a log cabin (owned by a chap called Falcon Scott who is the grandson of Scott of the Antartic). This was quite close to Jura at a place called Craobh (pronounced Croove) not far from Oban. I would dearly love to go out in a boat and witness the whirlpool at the Gulf of Corryvrekan.

You're probably right about the island hopper, I will look into it nearer the time. I would presume travellin on the ferries by motorbike would be cheaper than a car or camper?

I've been to Mull, Arran and Skye Barry but would dearly love to go to Jura and Islay. I spent a holiday once on a tiny island in a log cabin (owned by a chap called Falcon Scott who is the grandson of Scott of the Antartic). This was quite close to Jura at a place called Craobh (pronounced Croove) not far from Oban. I would dearly love to go out in a boat and witness the whirlpool at the Gulf of Corryvrekan.

You're probably right about the island hopper, I will look into it nearer the time. I would presume travellin on the ferries by motorbike would be cheaper than a car or camper?

Most of the ferries are cheaper now than they used to be because of the equivalent road fund thing but some are not but yes they are cheaper for bikes I believe. Not been to Jura but I did do Islay years ago. I think we spent most of the time in the distilleries (boys trip). One of the best spots I pitched a tent was on Berneray in the outer Hebrides. We arrived in a VW camper in a gale and in the dark and I pitched my tent on a cliff top. It was vile but the next morning the sun was out and we were right above a stunning circular beach. There was also the time I camped on the beach on Orkney and a Seal tried to get in the tent about two in the morning. I didnt know what it was so punched it and bust me airbed at the same time :D

Most of the ferries are cheaper now than they used to be because of the equivalent road fund thing but some are not but yes they are cheaper for bikes I believe. Not been to Jura but I did do Islay years ago. I think we spent most of the time in the distilleries (boys trip). One of the best spots I pitched a tent was on Berneray in the outer Hebrides. We arrived in a VW camper in a gale and in the dark and I pitched my tent on a cliff top. It was vile but the next morning the sun was out and we were right above a stunning circular beach. There was also the time I camped on the beach on Orkney and a Seal tried to get in the tent about two in the morning. I didnt know what it was so punched it and bust me airbed at the same time :D
West Beach on Berneray is one of my fav wild camping spots. Probably won’t be able to park along past the graveyard now.

Don't tell me Barry - you culled it!

How did it taste?

An old post of mine Rob

I have been travelling to Arran for over 40 years now, it’s a lovely island with varying views and local communities. But most importantly it’s geat for wild camping and due to the Scottish government subsidising the ferry crossings I get my 5. 97m chausson 510 over for just over £30 return plus £15 return for me and my wife. The crossing from ardrossan takes 55 mins, and you are required at the port 30 mins before boarding.

You arrive on the islands largest town Brodick, in the distance you can see goat fell 2896ft a hill we have done many times both from Brodick, and from Corrie which is six miles north from Brodick. Brodick has shops, cafes, restaurants, a Chinese take away, and much more. You can camp for free in the old coop car park near the beach. There is toilet facilities there, and a great beach. You could pop round to Brodick castle about a mile away or visit the local brewery or for the ladies visit Arran Aromatics. From the top of goat fell on a clear day Northern Ireland is clearly visible.

On arrival at Brodick you have three choices, stay in Brodick, head south to Lamlash and Marganaheglish, or head north to Sannox. If you head for north Sannox drive through the village till you see a sign for pony trekking. Turn right follow the single track road for about 600yds till you come to the forrestry car park. It’s on your pois. There is plenty of room there for 20 or so vans you will always find plenty of space. From there you can enjoy the views over the firth of Clyde, viewing the Isle of Bute and great cumbrae. You can take a coastal walk to the fallen stones or if you want to venture further you can walk to Lagan cottage. If you are feeling realy fit you could walk about 10 miles to Lochranza then either walk back via the road, or get the bus.

Next morning head 7 miles north to Lochranza. It boasts a beautiful peninsula with a castle which is free to enter. Roe and red deer roam freely you are sure to see some stags. Lochranza has a hotel were you can enjoy a meal or a snack. You can also sail to claonaig on the car ferry if you wish to venture on to the mull of kintyre. If you wish there is a campsite in Lochranza but the proprietor insists on a min of two nights, and you would have to book in advance. There is a local run public toilet across from the ferry terminal, but no waste recycling is available here. You could wild camp close to the ferry terminal, but I would suggest a late arrival as it tends to be busy during the day with cars. Lochranza offers one of the best walks on the island, the 11 mile route around the cock of Arran. This route takes in a wonderful coastal walk, followed by a hill walk over the hills back in to Lochranza. But be careful either take a map and compass or a fully charged mobile phone with the relevant ordinance survey maps. Orientation over the hill can be difficult.

From Lochranza head six miles south to Thunderguy/ pirnmill. You should be able to park on a laybye by the side of the road, we have spent many nights there, the road on the west side of the island is very quiet. From here you can venture up to a Lochan which is absolutely stunning. From there you can look over the kilbrannan sound towards kintyre, and on a clear day the paps of Jura are clearly visible. The west side of the island is littered with beautiful lay byes were you can safely park up for the night.

Next head for blackwaterfoot. Here the toilet has waste recycling at the rear of the toilet, and an outside tap for fresh water. You can donate in an honesty box, I always leave a fiver when I use these facilities which are paid for and run by the local community. Blackwaterfoot foot is a lovely village you will find plenty to do there, and the blackwaterfoot hotel offers excellent food and beverages.

Next head to the south of the island and kildonnan, but enroute stop and spend some time in Lagg, it’s a stunning small village, a sleepy hollow were you can enjoy a coffee at the lagg inn. The pois on here show a car park in kildonnan of a narrow road, but there are other places you can stop over. You will enjoy the views to the small island of pladda with its iconic lighthouse, and in the distance you will see paddy’s milstone the Alisa Craig. A bird sanctuary managed now by the rspb.

Next head for the village of whiting bay. Whiting bay also offers free waste recycling at its community run toilet and there are some shops cafes etc. Also from here you will see the stunning holy isle for the first time. But the best is yet to come.

From whiting bay head for lamlash, from here the holy isle with its summit the mullach mor takes on a whole new perspective. I can still remember vividly the first time I saw this island in 1973. It looks like someone simply put it there for asthetic reasons, but it’s presence transforms lamlash and the sea view into one of the most beautiful in this part of Scotland in my honest opinion. You can venture onto the island which is now run by a religious group and ascend to the top of the mullach mor 890ft and the views from up there are stunning.

Now the best bit.
On your pois you will see a rural car park at Kerr point.
Drive through lamlash. You will come to a bend on the road heading back to Brodick, turn right into marganaheglish. You will see a sign post for the only hospital on the island. Drive to the end of the road for about 1.5 miles and you will come to Kerr point on your right. It’s an adhoc carpark large enough for 4-5 vans, and it enjoys spectacular views across to the mainland and the holy isle. From there you can do the clauchland hills, walk over them to Brodick, or head for Brodick via the coastal walk. This is my favourite spot on arran. You should see plenty of grey seals, and if you are lucky otters and dolphins have been spotted here.

Well Arran is a great island to visit, but the roads are a wee bit tight at times, but if I can drive then any of you can. The locals are ok but some are anti Motorhome. This has been created by the massive increase of cars and Motorhomes venturing over since the introduction of the road tariff eqivelent subsidies making it cheap to get over to the island. Before these subsidies I used to pay £148 return for the van and two adults, now it’s only £47.

Enjoy Arran, spend some time there you are sure to enjoy it.

An old post of mine Rob

I have been travelling to Arran for over 40 years now, it’s a lovely island with varying views and local communities. But most importantly it’s geat for wild camping and due to the Scottish government subsidising the ferry crossings I get my 5. 97m chausson 510 over for just over £30 return plus £15 return for me and my wife. The crossing from ardrossan takes 55 mins, and you are required at the port 30 mins before boarding.

You arrive on the islands largest town Brodick, in the distance you can see goat fell 2896ft a hill we have done many times both from Brodick, and from Corrie which is six miles north from Brodick. Brodick has shops, cafes, restaurants, a Chinese take away, and much more. You can camp for free in the old coop car park near the beach. There is toilet facilities there, and a great beach. You could pop round to Brodick castle about a mile away or visit the local brewery or for the ladies visit Arran Aromatics. From the top of goat fell on a clear day Northern Ireland is clearly visible.

On arrival at Brodick you have three choices, stay in Brodick, head south to Lamlash and Marganaheglish, or head north to Sannox. If you head for north Sannox drive through the village till you see a sign for pony trekking. Turn right follow the single track road for about 600yds till you come to the forrestry car park. It’s on your pois. There is plenty of room there for 20 or so vans you will always find plenty of space. From there you can enjoy the views over the firth of Clyde, viewing the Isle of Bute and great cumbrae. You can take a coastal walk to the fallen stones or if you want to venture further you can walk to Lagan cottage. If you are feeling realy fit you could walk about 10 miles to Lochranza then either walk back via the road, or get the bus.

Next morning head 7 miles north to Lochranza. It boasts a beautiful peninsula with a castle which is free to enter. Roe and red deer roam freely you are sure to see some stags. Lochranza has a hotel were you can enjoy a meal or a snack. You can also sail to claonaig on the car ferry if you wish to venture on to the mull of kintyre. If you wish there is a campsite in Lochranza but the proprietor insists on a min of two nights, and you would have to book in advance. There is a local run public toilet across from the ferry terminal, but no waste recycling is available here. You could wild camp close to the ferry terminal, but I would suggest a late arrival as it tends to be busy during the day with cars. Lochranza offers one of the best walks on the island, the 11 mile route around the cock of Arran. This route takes in a wonderful coastal walk, followed by a hill walk over the hills back in to Lochranza. But be careful either take a map and compass or a fully charged mobile phone with the relevant ordinance survey maps. Orientation over the hill can be difficult.

From Lochranza head six miles south to Thunderguy/ pirnmill. You should be able to park on a laybye by the side of the road, we have spent many nights there, the road on the west side of the island is very quiet. From here you can venture up to a Lochan which is absolutely stunning. From there you can look over the kilbrannan sound towards kintyre, and on a clear day the paps of Jura are clearly visible. The west side of the island is littered with beautiful lay byes were you can safely park up for the night.

Next head for blackwaterfoot. Here the toilet has waste recycling at the rear of the toilet, and an outside tap for fresh water. You can donate in an honesty box, I always leave a fiver when I use these facilities which are paid for and run by the local community. Blackwaterfoot foot is a lovely village you will find plenty to do there, and the blackwaterfoot hotel offers excellent food and beverages.

Next head to the south of the island and kildonnan, but enroute stop and spend some time in Lagg, it’s a stunning small village, a sleepy hollow were you can enjoy a coffee at the lagg inn. The pois on here show a car park in kildonnan of a narrow road, but there are other places you can stop over. You will enjoy the views to the small island of pladda with its iconic lighthouse, and in the distance you will see paddy’s milstone the Alisa Craig. A bird sanctuary managed now by the rspb.

Next head for the village of whiting bay. Whiting bay also offers free waste recycling at its community run toilet and there are some shops cafes etc. Also from here you will see the stunning holy isle for the first time. But the best is yet to come.

From whiting bay head for lamlash, from here the holy isle with its summit the mullach mor takes on a whole new perspective. I can still remember vividly the first time I saw this island in 1973. It looks like someone simply put it there for asthetic reasons, but it’s presence transforms lamlash and the sea view into one of the most beautiful in this part of Scotland in my honest opinion. You can venture onto the island which is now run by a religious group and ascend to the top of the mullach mor 890ft and the views from up there are stunning.

Now the best bit.
On your pois you will see a rural car park at Kerr point.
Drive through lamlash. You will come to a bend on the road heading back to Brodick, turn right into marganaheglish. You will see a sign post for the only hospital on the island. Drive to the end of the road for about 1.5 miles and you will come to Kerr point on your right. It’s an adhoc carpark large enough for 4-5 vans, and it enjoys spectacular views across to the mainland and the holy isle. From there you can do the clauchland hills, walk over them to Brodick, or head for Brodick via the coastal walk. This is my favourite spot on arran. You should see plenty of grey seals, and if you are lucky otters and dolphins have been spotted here.

Well Arran is a great island to visit, but the roads are a wee bit tight at times, but if I can drive then any of you can. The locals are ok but some are anti Motorhome. This has been created by the massive increase of cars and Motorhomes venturing over since the introduction of the road tariff eqivelent subsidies making it cheap to get over to the island. Before these subsidies I used to pay £148 return for the van and two adults, now it’s only £47.

Enjoy Arran, spend some time there you are sure to enjoy it.

That's a great post Bill I shall print it off and put it in the folder which I take on my travels, which strangely only has stuff about Scotland in it! :giggle:

I've just been googling the Isle of Arran and inevitably more stuff about the Hebrides came up including some islands I've never heard of. I find old deserted buildings fascinating and now I've looked online there are so many which I can't hope to visit them all.

One that stands out is Vallay house (obviously on Vallay!). I would love to take my tent there for a couple of nights.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back