Hawick " aire"

peecee

Free Member
Stayed last night at the very excellent Motor home area in Hawick , I was a little confused as one sign said 24 hours and another 48 hours. As I was going into the town I called at the local Town Hall information office and asked clarification .The gentleman behind the desk didn't know but he rang me on my mobile some ten minutes later confirming that it is officially 24 hours but gave me permission to stay the extra 24.

Hats off to the local authority for recognizing both the need and benefits of this venture and for a rarely displayed show of common sense to the rule book.

The toilet facilities remain immaculate due in a major part to the Lady and Gentleman cleaners who were unwavering away at 07.00 this morning . Wouldn't it be nice if all local Authorities got their act together.

The motorhome area at Hawick has been in place for quite a few years now.
When it first started I was hoping other towns may have followed suit. Sadly not the case.
As mentioned above ,common sense is rarely displayed by local authorities. Good on Hawick for having that elusive common sense and foresight.

The motorhome area at Hawick has been in place for quite a few years now.
When it first started I was hoping other towns may have followed suit. Sadly not the case.
As mentioned above ,common sense is rarely displayed by local authorities. Good on Hawick for having that elusive common sense and foresight.
Well said

Did you have any problem with the boy racers ?

Last time we stayed it was bloody awful to the point of me calling rhe police when their " game " got dangerous.

Seeing how close they could get to us at what seemed like 50MPH +.

The police never came and we will never go back there.

Hawick used (?) to be like a wild west , frontier type town . Probably better nowadays . It does seem as though the council are forward thinking . Shame if this spoiled by a few wanchors .
Police station used to be a training centre , was , unfortunately , difficult to avoid the polis at one time !

Last time we stayed it was bloody awful to the point of me calling rhe police when their " game " got dangerous.

No sign of any Boy racers ...perhaps they grew up ..or maybe they are incapacitated due to ineptitude!

Hawick used (?) to be like a wild west , frontier type town . Probably better nowadays . It does seem as though the council are forward thinking . Shame if this spoiled by a few wanchors .
Police station used to be a training centre , was , unfortunately , difficult to avoid the polis at one time !
Well arguably it IS a frontier town but everyone seemed quite pleasant ....I did play Rugby here some 40 years ago and did get battered a bit ...but I Don't bear a grudge .

Well arguably it IS a frontier town but everyone seemed quite pleasant ....I did play Rugby here some 40 years ago and did get battered a bit ...but I Don't bear a grudge .
Guessing its better to park here midweek rather than weekend ?
Yes rugby in Hawick is/was taken very seriously

Agreed possibly West Lothian and others could take a look and learn.
But I am not holding my breath on that one any time soon.

As others have said these borders towns can get a bit exciting at pub emptying time. Personally I would rather spend the night at Craik forest just down the road.

Totally agree.We went early last year and the local youth (commonly refered to as the boy racers) drove us mad racing through car park just behind motorhomes until past 3 am in the morning.Doing donuts tyre spins you name it. It was hell.A shame really because we expected better the way it is advertised to welcome us.

The last time I parked in an area frequented by boy racers,I stormed out the van...and watched the fun. I was once young too you know,many people seem to forget they're in their back yard not vice versa.

Jedburgh also welcomes us. There are often a half dozen over nighting in the main carpark in the shadow of the Abby ruins.

So does Kelso next to the garden centre.
And Kelso is a lovely town to visit.
It seems that the borders council see us for what we are.
Whereas East Lothian reckon that we are tinkers and freeloaders to be dealt with.:mad:

Tip always carry some barley and a biro shell,when you ph police say you are going to shoot some one,they will be there in a flash and when they ask for you to hand over the gun just say who said anything about a gun ,then show them your barley shooter. :LOL:

The last time I parked in an area frequented by boy racers,I stormed out the van...and watched the fun. I was once young too you know,many people seem to forget they're in their back yard not vice versa.
I can understand folk being annoyed and perhaps a little intimidated at times but I have found if you have a bit crack with them and humanize yourself the kids are ok.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back