Have you ever been checked up on?

RSD7a

I've just renewed my insurance and pondered briefly over my usual self selected 6000 mile limit for the year. Obviously the insurance companies can do a rough check on actual mileage in the event of a claim via MoTs and service records etc if they wanted to. My question is, do they?

I have an agreement that if I want to upgrade my mileage they don't charge me extra for doing it only for the extra miles.

As I was recording nowhere close to my previous annual mileage figure I chose to reduce it and was amazed by how much my premium was reduced!

All my vehicles are insured for more miles than they actually do. it might cost me about £20 per vehicle more but I would rather Pay that little extra for peace of mind so that I don’t need to worry about going over

Last edited:
I have 6000 mile cover but in fact will never do it, also speedo is out as i geared up and did not strip the gearbox to change the unit, but have an electronic sat speed module set in MPH and distance covered, it also beeps every hr you drive letting me know to have a rest/pee/coffee, not always in that order. 😂

I had to notify my insurance when I noticed my recorded milage out of date .I was not asked for current milage on renual

I’ve had to sign a form in the past for AIB to keep on file confirming my mileage on the policy start date. I’ve also paid an additional premium when I realised I was going to exceed the estimated mileage. That was a few years ago but I don’t think I’ve been asked for anything since

one of my cars was written off after a tractor & trailer scored all the panels down one side ‘‘twas a lovely citreon b19 “ beyond economic repair before they settled the claim they asked me to send the mot certificate according to the garage so they could calculate the mileage

I had a fairly new Volvo written off in a 50-car pile-up on the M40 in sudden thick fog. We hadn't hit anything, but when stopped 5-6 cars ran into us from behind at high speed. The insurance company tried really hard not to have to pay out ... even sent an investigator to question me about everything. Eventually they did pay and it was recorded as not my fault. But if anything I had told them was false it would have been very different.

Best bit was that my wife and I walked away unharmed.

I had a fairly new Volvo written off in a 50-car pile-up on the M40 in sudden thick fog. We hadn't hit anything, but when stopped 5-6 cars ran into us from behind at high speed. The insurance company tried really hard not to have to pay out ... even sent an investigator to question me about everything. Eventually they did pay and it was recorded as not my fault. But if anything I had told them was false it would have been very different.

Best bit was that my wife and I walked away unharmed.

I had a similar experience on the M1 years ago. Multiple pile up - 11 cars locked together through driving too close.

We were the only car that didn't hit the car in front, we managed to stop with a reasonable distance between us. The car behind me slammed straight into the back of me and the rest followed suit behind him.

In my case though, even though I had not hit anything, the insurance decided to do a 'knock for knock' and I had to claim on my own policy and lost my NCD.

I argued it until I was blue in the face but they insisted it was common practice in such circumstances.

I had a similar experience on the M1 years ago. Multiple pile up - 11 cars locked together through driving too close.

We were the only car that didn't hit the car in front, we managed to stop with a reasonable distance between us. The car behind me slammed straight into the back of me and the rest followed suit behind him.

In my case though, even though I had not hit anything, the insurance decided to do a 'knock for knock' and I had to claim on my own policy and lost my NCD.

I argued it until I was blue in the face but they insisted it was common practice in such circumstances.
I would have had them in the courts, anyone hits you from behind its their fault, happened to me many years back at Sandyknows roundabout a mile from me, my nice complete rebuilt skoda and respray was bent like a camel, £17 grand came in handy, but still have a week back and sciatica in one leg.
yellow skoda.jpg

Yes the collision went the same as happened to you.

I lost the NCD when I insured my new car as he original claim was then still being investigated (I had to buy a new car long before I got payout). But then when I renewed next year I pointed out it had then been assessed as not my fault, and I got most of the NCD back.

I think in my case the police report had separated those that hit something before stopping and those that stopped. It was in thick fog so many had not slowed down much - if at all, and ploughed into the slowing building pile of cars. I think the police cautioned those that didn't slow with possible dangerous driving ... but I'm not sure of that. One person died, but it was lucky it wasn't more.

The higher the mileage the more you pay if you say 2000 miles and you find you will do more you can up your milage.
Found that out the hard way saying 6000 mile per year.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back