Have you been issued with an incorrect Speeding Ticket in your MoHO?

r4dent

Britain’s busiest speed camera may have been incorrectly issuing fines for years, as driving groups call on officials to offer refunds.

The local Police force has said it is “aware of an issue” with the camera that can “lead to incorrect readings with vehicles with a high, flat rear”.

Nathan Thompson, 37, an NHS IT engineer, received a letter accusing him of driving at 52mph in August, despite his motorhome only passing the camera at 25mph. “This was hard to believe because there was no one else on the road – it was about 11.40pm,” said the father-of-two, who successfully fought the case and it was dropped

Pitty they never catch the boy racers at night doing burn outs and noisy ex pipes ripping round at 2 am, never mind old farts in campervans half blind drunk and sleeping in carparks. 🤔 😂😂😂

I've heard similar accounts where the issue was due to 'panting' -- or flexing of the rear panel. Vehicles with stiff rear panels (which probably includes most motorhomes) shouldn't be affected. However, speed cameras measure the rate at which the targeted panel is moving away from the radar/lidar beam and if the panel is flexing towards the front of the vehicle at (say) 20mph at the time the beam 'pings' the vehicle, which is travelling at 30mph, the gun will read 50mph (i.e. the sum of those speeds). AFAICT, this is one of the reasons why they have those markings along the centre of the carriageway as the camera is meant to take two photos and the distance/time taken used to calculate the speed by a second method, thus providing corroboration or revealing the error in the radar/lidar reading.

What about all the people that received points or bans and had their insurance increased or even cancelled. The operators should be held to full account ,
They should, however IME the usual response from a 'Safety Camera Pratnership' is that each motorist must appeal individually on a case by case basis. Here's a quote re. an incident on the M4 that had me spitting feathers at the time at the thought that some (ex-)motorists could well have wrongly lost their livelihoods but instead of doing the right thing, the 'scameratzi' kept as quiet as possible and refused to contact drivers they knew were wrongly convicted.
Speed camera catches 2500 legal motorists. 3 Nov 2003
A safety camera on the M4 has photographed 2500 motorists who were fined despite driving legally.
The camera was placed to catch speeding cars, bikes and trucks in a temporary 50mph limit in road works around junction 24 of the M4 outside Newport. Instead it flashed people who left the 50mph zone and were legally increasing their pace to the national motorway limit. The camera has been in place from July 2002 until October 2003.
The innocent drivers have paid fines totalling approximately £150,000 and are entitled to ask for their money back and penalty points to be removed from their licence. However, the camera partnership states it will not contact the drivers to inform them of their mistake. Instead it will consider appeals from individual drivers. So far only 10 people have appealed and all have had their convictions overturned.
" The camera was wrongly sited for over a year. The costs do not stop with fines as many drivers will have had to pay more in higher insurance premiums. It is a complete disgrace. No wonder the partnership is keeping quiet about it when they could face huge compensation claims for lost licences and ruined careers, " said Mark McArthur-Christie from the Association of British Drivers.
Any motorists who think they may have been wrongly penalised are urged to contact the Mid and South Wales Safety Camera Partnership, PO Box 360Cardiff, CF10 3ZR, or phone: 01443 743772 or 743776.
Just for the record, I've never had a speeding ticket in my life, and I do not condone breaking speed limits. However, I agree that the authorities should have a legal duty to make restitution where it becomes apparent to them that they have secured a wrongful conviction.

[Edited to correct a typo]

Thing I dont understand is why makers fit such high speed engines capable of speeds more than almost twice the top 70 mph limit, would it not be better to limit speed and increase torque giving a better pull away performance and fuel economy, many round here think there Chuck Yagar.

I agree @trevskoda ! I always query why a car can go 120mph in a 70mph limited country. I suppose some speedheads understand!

Thing I dont understand is why makers fit such high speed engines capable of speeds more than almost twice the top 70 mph limit, would it not be better to limit speed and increase torque giving a better pull away performance and fuel economy, many round here think there Chuck Yagar.
I expect it’s every where, but in Doncaster they have go and stop pedals. Nothing in between. Acceleration needs to be restricted. If modern cars had sixty’s brakes, they’d think twice about accelerating.

AFAICT, this is one of the reasons why they have those markings along the centre of the carriageway as the camera is meant to take two photos and the distance/time taken used to calculate the speed by a second method, thus providing corroboration or revealing the error in the radar/lidar reading.
This was my understanding, maybe not all speed cameras have them, certainly if I was clocked at a speed I thought wrong I would challenge it. Checking google maps and there are the marks on carriageway.

I agree @trevskoda ! I always query why a car can go 120mph in a 70mph limited country. I suppose some speedheads understand!
That car may not always be driven in the 70mph limited country. Are you suggesting that cars sold in Jersey or Guernsey be rendered incapable of going at more than 35 (Guernsey) or 40 (Jersey) mph?

That car may not always be driven in the 70mph limited country. Are you suggesting that cars sold in Jersey or Guernsey be rendered incapable of going at more than 35 (Guernsey) or 40 (Jersey) mph?
Easy to chip these days for that.

True but I was thinking of the cars which can go over 120 mph...not allowed in many countries!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back