Hard drives in a campervan

Derekoak

Has anyone who has used a mechanical hard drive in their camper had a failure due to bumping over rough roads or speed bumps, while the hard drive was NOT spinning?
We are investing in data storage and mechanical hard drives are so cheap compared to solid state drives.

Has anyone who has used a mechanical hard drive in their camper had a failure due to bumping over rough roads or speed bumps, while the hard drive was NOT spinning?
We are investing in data storage and mechanical hard drives are so cheap compared to solid state drives.
Nope....
But then there's always a first time... And you can guarantee IT'LL be just when it's got stuff on it you don't want to lose....

I'd go solid state personally BUT you could use one of these IF you're set on mechanical.

In some small linux sys you do not require a hard drive but can operate from a pen drive or ram in a laptop, Slitaz or puppy spring to mind.
puppy.png
slitaz.png

My use would be outside a computer. The hdd would be connected by usbC when needed. Not while travelling. The hard drive would be in a padded case when not used.
We would back up onto 2 drives in case of failure and that seems safer than no double storage on more expensive drives?
Whether the hard drive would be carried vertically or horizontally for best effect I do not know.
Whether 3.5 inch desk top is less shock resistant than 2.5 inch laptop drives I also do not know. But 2.5 inch are not much more expensive than 3.5 inch.
This is mostly for backing up videos and photos my wife takes. She has overfilled sd cards and such small storage.

Last edited:
I have fpr some time used usb external drives 980 Gb thereabouts for all my images and video
I use 2 and regard one as the master and symchronise it with the slave.
Just keep them in a padded camera bag. I habe been doing this for several years and no problems.
I believe something similar would suit you.
For my other data I use google but ms onedrive or others would do a similar job

I have fpr some time used usb external drives 980 Gb thereabouts for all my images and video
Just keep them in a padded camera bag. I habe been doing this for several years and no problems.
Do you go on rough tracks and sometimes not slow down enough for speed bumps? :)

Ps I used 2 old WD products.
No good with Otg and phone/tablet.
But a newer similar WD drive does work with my tablet.

Do you use a pc or some other device to synchronise?

Ps I used 2 old WD products.
No good with Otg and phone/tablet.
But a newer similar WD drive does work with my tablet.
I understand that the drive needs to be reformatted to work with android. Which exact WD drive works?

No reformatting needed.
Plug and play as they say.
You need an app on the tablet
Microsoft exfat/ntfs for usb
Just checked and all good

My use would be outside a computer. The hdd would be connected by usbC when needed. Not while travelling. The hard drive would be in a padded case when not used.
We would back up onto 2 drives in case of failure and that seems safer than no double storage on more expensive drives?
Whether the hard drive would be carried vertically or horizontally for best effect I do not know.
Whether 3.5 inch desk top is less shock resistant than 2.5 inch laptop drives I also do not know. But 2.5 inch are not much more expensive than 3.5 inch.
This is mostly for backing up videos and photos my wife takes. She has overfilled sd cards and such small storage.
There is a cable USB to hard drive available for what you want to do.

Usually have my laptop with us in the Moho, and that has a Regular (spinning) hard drive, which has never (so far!) been affected by our travels. That said, I would not use it whilst on the move, as hard drives are pretty sensitive to knocks and bumps! Perhaps investing in a SSD (solid state drive) replacement would be prudent if you have to use it on the move!!

Just put it into a vibration absorbing mount. A roll of bubble wrap is ok as long as it doesn't overheat.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back