Halifax Clarity Card .. Changes to DD

Don't know if this helps but I always do an online transfer from my bank direct to my Clarity card account before we go.
This puts it a few hundred pounds in credit prior to our winter hol overseas.
If the card credit is getting low I just transfer some more while I'm over there.
It all comes out of wife's housekeeping allowance anyway ! lol

If I pay off TSB credit card a couple of days early they take the balance! So must be normal, doesn't really matter if you are using the card again soon

Don't know if this helps but I always do an online transfer from my bank direct to my Clarity card account before we go.
This puts it a few hundred pounds in credit prior to our winter hol overseas.
If the card credit is getting low I just transfer some more while I'm over there.
It all comes out of wife's housekeeping allowance anyway ! lol

I understand that in their terms and conditions they say you can’t use your card like that and they could cancel the card.

11.7 You must not make payments or transfer funds from another credit or store card to your account that would leave a credit balance on your account. We may return any funds that exceed the balance owing on your account to the account from which the money was sent.

Last edited:
I got one to use in France last year, the DD went through to clear the statement but they credited the account with a freebie that was given when you started using it, the account was in credit for a couple of months until I used it to buy something and the the balance was paid at the end of that month so it's been at nil ever since.

I read that letter and thought that the only changes were to 'penalty fees' and that the DD transaction was initiated on the same day that the statement was produced. I understood that any interim payments into the account would continue to be applied to items that attracted the greatest interest rate. Thus if you started with a zero balance, bought two items retail at €10 each, then withdrew €50 from an ATM and then paid the equivalent of €50 into your Clarity account, the €50 should pay off the ATM withdrawal first AFAICT. Their system must be able to work out the difference because they charge interest differently; i.e. from the date of withdrawal from an ATM but from the statement date for retail transactions.

That said, the interest is only about 1.4% per month, so you'd only pay about 0.7% interest on a cash withdrawal two weeks before the statement date -- and that's still a lot cheaper than almost all other methods of buying foreign currency.

They put any credit against the retail purchase first not the cash withdrawal even if that was before the retail purchase. I did wonder why I got a text saying any payments into the account would not reduce the DD. Think I will cancel the DD as I use the card to withdraw cash abroad.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back