Grrr ... I've been scammed

Like some I dismissed FB as trivia. Having researched it, it is an absolute mine of info. I am a member of numerous groups, Autocruse MH, RC Models, Taranis RC transmitters, DIY Campervans and I get and give assistance very readily. Please do not dismiss off hand. Saying that, I would not purchase off Marketplace unless a face to face deal.

I have just bought these two chairs on E Bay for £64.99 really good value. They were advertised with a side tray for each chair, however when they arrived they were not in the box. When queried they replied that they don't come with trays. I pointed out the item description and he has since changed the listing, this is the problem with "copy and paste". I didn't push the matter as I think the chairs are good value, he has since increased the price to £69.99.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 113
Saw this exact thing on Instagram and bought them with the exact same outcome but sadly not using PayPal. Have emailed the retailer twice with no response so will be contacting my Credit Card company for help with this fraud.
I recognise those bags -- I have two of the same. Did they send you an email order acknowledgement or just SMS? If, like me, they didn't send an email and the SMS order confirmation doesn't describe the item, they will probably try (and might be able) to convince your credit card company that you only purchased a bag as the website from which I ordered mine has now changed. Originally the two options on the product page were for black or blue colour. This has changed to a bag for £15+ or a chair for £227+. FWIW, I suspect that's why delivery took about a month -- so that they could take as many orders as possible during that time before switching the product page to be able to claim we only bought bags.

If the Instagram link took you to irrperb.com, the following might help: The email that PayPal sent me to confirm the transaction describes the 'chairs' as, "Premium Portable Camping Folding Lawn Chairs with Canopy - COVERED HIGH-GRADE PORTABLE CAMPING FOLDING LAWN BAG WITH CANOPY", and so could be used as evidence of their item description. No matter whether that description is interpreted as a"Lawn Chair with Canopy" or a "Lawn Bag with Canopy", the bags we have don't have canopies and hence are not what we ordered -- even by the fraudster's rules! BTW, If you haven't got their email address, PayPal gave this as Official@zhixintrade.com.

HTH & good luck!

Fortunately they sent me this email which I think shows what they said they would deliver as opposed to what they actually delivered and I will be contacting my credit card company on Monday to see what they can do to help.
Looks like they've changed their trading name. FWIW, "amicoud" doesn't feature in the multitude of known aliases. However, amicoud.com was created on 20th June 2020 and nslookup shows that both amicoud and irrperb share the same IP address (23.227.38.65) -- the same IP address is a strong indicator that both our fraudsters are the same entity. Before you contact the credit card company, it might be an idea to talk to Citizens Advice Bureau to check whether the 2015 consumer protection legislation that makes them the joint supplier applies to purchases from outside the EU and also whether there is a minimum value before the card company is liable and, if so, what that value is.

Latest on my battle with the scammers: I opened a dispute on PayPal and they escaled this to a claim. After over a week of them asking the same thing over and over again, they eventually contacted the seller, who (as expected) claimed that I'd ordered two bags and not two chairs. I pointed out to PayPal that the description on their receipt might be taken as "lawn chair with canopy" or "lawn bag with canopy" and that the bags supplied did not have canopies and so what they sent matched neither description. They then asked for a photo. As I was on a campsite at the time, I sent them a copy of your photo, told them mine were identical and that I'd send them a photo when I got back home. I tried to do that this morning only to find they'd closed the converation! I've sent another message referring to the original claim and attaching photos with a tape measure for scale. I guess I'll have to contact my credit card company, who I suspect will find some way to wheedle out of paying up!

There is something that does not seem to be mentioned...

There is a law called the Consumer Contracts Regulations that allow you to return these type of goods from a business seller remotely for ANY REASON within 14 days (and someone selling a whole bunch of these will have to adhere to this).
You don't have to prove they are not as described or the like, you just tell the seller you are returning the item.
being not as described is better as they have to cover the postage but end of the day, having to pay for postage will be better than having to suck up 100% of the cost for rubbish.

During lock down we have been having a sort out at home and sold loads of stuff on F B Market place £1.300 taken to date with no charges all very easy a few numpties but they are everywhere cheapest item sold was £3, dearest was my Honda Gennie £350 so a good price range. So I am a fan of F B just ignore the crap and you are OK

When using PayPal.... if you have some funds in your PayPal account, you’ll get immediate customer support.

I've mentioned this before, but ... if you get an invitation to join the eBay 'concierge' program, do it! If you have any problems with a seller (or a buyer when you are selling things), then you get access to special customer service team, who are very good and will deal with everything to its conclusion.
You also are able to return things for any reason (as I mentioned as part of the Consumer Contracts Regulations) but with the concierge program, eBay pay for any return costs (you pay the charge initially, and they refund you a few days later).

I have some sales via my Facebook business page but don't think I have used Facebook Marketplace to sell anything and as fas as my business sales go I don't think I ever would as there are too many muppets there who don't actually understand what they are buying - and blame the seller not their own ineptitiude as a result. So mainly stick to eBay or my own on-line shop for selling stuff.
Sales via Social Media (Forums, Facebook, etc) only after discussion so the buyer understands what they are buying.

I've mentioned this before, but ... if you get an invitation to join the eBay 'concierge' program, do it! If you have any problems with a seller (or a buyer when you are selling things), then you get access to special customer service team, who are very good and will deal with everything to its conclusion.
You also are able to return things for any reason (as I mentioned as part of the Consumer Contracts Regulations) but with the concierge program, eBay pay for any return costs (you pay the charge initially, and they refund you a few days later).

I have some sales via my Facebook business page but don't think I have used Facebook Marketplace to sell anything and as fas as my business sales go I don't think I ever would as there are too many muppets there who don't actually understand what they are buying - and blame the seller not their own ineptitiude as a result. So mainly stick to eBay or my own on-line shop for selling stuff.
Sales via Social Media (Forums, Facebook, etc) only after discussion so the buyer understands what they are buying.
WELL I advertised all our stuff collection only and have no pay pal so all I sold was cash on collection, the buyer could see exactly what they were getting so no problems with anything I sold, I do not like the concept of pay pal as someone else can give refunds of money paid to me and I would have to just lump it or that is my take on things I buy on E Bay using a debit card but never sell on there because as I said no Pay Pal so that is why I use FB and sell localy cuts down on customer range but then I do not care if I sell or not as just down sizing stuff. Having said that I did get emails from folk far away asking me to post items and bank transfer etc. but I declined that everything sold eventually too.

There is something that does not seem to be mentioned...

There is a law called the Consumer Contracts Regulations that allow you to return these type of goods from a business seller remotely for ANY REASON within 14 days (and someone selling a whole bunch of these will have to adhere to this).
You don't have to prove they are not as described or the like, you just tell the seller you are returning the item.
being not as described is better as they have to cover the postage but end of the day, having to pay for postage will be better than having to suck up 100% of the cost for rubbish.
Unfortunately, Chinese sellers and American money transfer companies aren't usually bound by UK law!

Latest on my case:- As PayPal had closed the conversation (and hence also the case, I assume) they restarted the claim procedure and contacted the seller again and sent me a messages stating they had until yesterday to respond. Each day, I ensured I attached a new message to the case thread to keep the conversation open. However, when I checked today PayPal have once again prematurely closed the conversation and so I had to start a new one, again citing the case ID and pointing out that the seller had not responded and so they should have found in my favour and reimbursed my card. Unfortunately, I suspect that PayPal will just start the claim all over again...

On investigation it seems this scammer has been operating the same scam through loads of websites and so it could cost PayPal tens of thousands of pounds to honour their protection promises.

Seen quite a few similar posts on facebook along with some kind of bucket washing machine and you just get sent 2 curtain rings.

Mike

I bought 2 replacement door mirror assemblies on e Bay last year fitted them both and within 2 months the rubber coverings on the long arms began to perish and fall to pieces I complained to E Bay and within days received a full refund of money paid, the mirrors are still fitted to my van and have no rubber coverings on the arms, I was never asked to return the mirror assemblies, so someone is out of pocket, this is the reason that I would never have pay pal, incidentally the mirror assemblies were manufactured in Poland.

I bought 2 replacement door mirror assemblies on e Bay last year fitted them both and within 2 months the rubber coverings on the long arms began to perish and fall to pieces I complained to E Bay and within days received a full refund of money paid, the mirrors are still fitted to my van and have no rubber coverings on the arms, I was never asked to return the mirror assemblies, so someone is out of pocket, this is the reason that I would never have pay pal, incidentally the mirror assemblies were manufactured in Poland.
How would you trade long distance and get paid. 🤔

Just heard from PayPal -- they want me to spend even more money to return the bags to the seller, which I must apparently do at my expense since PayPal won't refund the return cost but the seller has "promised to refund me directly for postage costs up to £15" :rolleyes: I wrote back noting that this is a known scam and so I would have little to no chance of recovering shipping costs. I advised them that the goods were not what I ordered, therefore unsolicited, and thus considered gifts under UK law. However, as a gesture of goodwill I am content for the seller to collect at their expense and will retain the bags for thirty days to facilitate this, after which I will dispose of them as I see fit. In any case, I expect full reimbursement from PayPal. I'll have to see what they say; but I guess next stop is the credit card company!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back