Grey waste

So now we've covered excess black waste, how big should an ideal grey waste tank be?
Don’t bother with one just drop the pipe through the floor of the van With a tap on it and put a bucket under it with holes drilled in the bottom drop a square of j cloth type material or a clump of dried grass cuttings in the bucket and let the water trickle away the cloth catches all the food bits and if your parked on grass nobody is the wiser as the water seeps away into the ground a bucket without holes may be needed for when parked on hard standing.
I’ll go hide in a corner now 😂

B8g as poss don't just let run every where that's not good .
At no point did I suggest that sqirrelcook let his water run everywhere discretion is everything Which is why I said on hard standing use a bucket without holes prior to having this motorhome every-van I have had over the past 36/37 years not one of them had a waste tank but I always used a discrete filter way even now if I am out for a long time I will if parked on grass put my bucket with holes in it and let my tank trickle away but capturing any food particles it’s water at the end of the day and in these parched times the grass needs it if you go to Rutland Arthur the old groundsman used to ask you to empty your grey waste on the grass,

I do similar but put a j cloth inside the bucket incase any hard bits get through but it is just soapy water as we scrape the plates (clean) of any debris
This is on grass or muck only of course
There are a few places we've been to of last year asking to tip your water at the base of trees as well as the hedge rows

At no point did I suggest that sqirrelcook let his water run everywhere discretion is everything Which is why I said on hard standing use a bucket without holes prior to having this motorhome every-van I have had over the past 36/37 years not one of them had a waste tank but I always used a discrete filter way even now if I am out for a long time I will if parked on grass put my bucket with holes in it and let my tank trickle away but capturing any food particles it’s water at the end of the day and in these parched times the grass needs it if you go to Rutland Arthur the old groundsman used to ask you to empty your grey waste on the grass,
It's a no from me each to there own .

If you are a farm site most farmers are happy/pleased for you to dump grey water in hedgerows and the like.
Using a J cloth or whaterver to collect food bits etc is good.

What we really need is to stop Sheep cows and the like from depositing their material willy nilly !

I do appreciate grey water has added chemicals so not near streams etc

Don’t bother with one just drop the pipe through the floor of the van With a tap on it and put a bucket under it with holes drilled in the bottom drop a square of j cloth type material or a clump of dried grass cuttings in the bucket and let the water trickle away the cloth catches all the food bits and if your parked on grass nobody is the wiser as the water seeps away into the ground a bucket without holes may be needed for when parked on hard standing.
I’ll go hide in a corner now 😂
I have heard this called the Swedish absorbent method ? Don’t ask me why ? Someone will know ?

I think I would always want a tank of some kind simply because you never know where you are going to end up and our style of touring is pretty varied. We do a lot of aires in France etc. On hard standing I dont think I would want anything running out of the van on an Aire. A CL on meadow grass in a field I would just let it run as no food stuff ever goes in our pipes, its just water from the shower or brushing teeth, washing hands etc. I Cant imagine a plastic tank weighs much so I think I would always want one.

It's been some time since we've had this debate.
Thanks Squirellcook for bringing it back.
I feel digression is the name of the game, if you're on hardstanding then it definitely a no for letting it go.
If you are on grass, firstly ask the warden/organiser what is allowed and follow there instructions. Just remember that some places don't want there foul water filled with grey waste, as they have to pay to have it removed and therefore watering the grass is best for them.
Just to finish if you are going to let it soak away, be aware of the smell if your tank is already full, there it's best to start with an empty tank.

Yes, and why wouldn't you?

We don't, because we don't use that much and can't be sure it's clean.

Whatever is in your fresh tank (400ltr) is either going to end up in you or the grey tank right? So it should ideally be sized as such, based on what proportion of the 400 you'll drink, to cover the worst case scenario.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back