Grey Mares Tail Nature Reserve

EL Sid

Just pulled into the carpark of this Nature reserve near Moffat. Lovely spot for an overnight stop twixt Cornwall and Inverness. Currently heading to Orkney, and will probably figuratively 'Bump' into a few of you in a fortnight's time somewhere on the islands.
Stay safe

Just pulled into the carpark of this Nature reserve near Moffat. Lovely spot for an overnight stop twixt Cornwall and Inverness. Currently heading to Orkney, and will probably figuratively 'Bump' into a few of you in a fortnight's time somewhere on the islands.
Stay safe
Presumably there werent any national trust "no overnight" signs?
(Heading that way later next week).
thanks,
Dave.

Presumably there werent any national trust "no overnight" signs?
(Heading that way later next week).
thanks,
Dave.
Should be fine it’s £3 a day last time I was there. The warden normally appears early evening to empty the money. If you are up for it the Tail offers nice views from the top, and it’s not a hard one to do. 30 minutes or so to the top. If it’s full drive two or three miles further down road to Megget reservoir poI.

Last edited:
Should be fine it’s £3 a day last time I was there. The warden normally appears early evening to empty the money. If you are up for it the Tail offers nice views from the top, and it’s not a hard one to do. 30 minutes or so to the top. If it’s full drive two or three miles further down road to Megget reservoir poI.
Thanks Fisherman, the plan is to go up White Coombe and possibly Hart fell if my knees are up to it! (Both over 800m)
have stayed at Megget a few times, but may check out Fruid reservoir poi as well.

Excellent night last night at the GMT, apart from sheep using the van as a rubbing post at 4am!
Ticket machines broken but still left a fiver in the honesty box. 3 other vans there.
The wind on the summits was extreme, and with wind chill we reckoned equiv to 0 deg C.

shots from grey mares tail
42BABCEC-29F0-4BA9-8B4F-38391E45B6AE.jpeg
FDFA1D9B-730B-47DE-81BF-3F01B46125BB.jpeg
1524BC31-D77C-4B67-8F9A-4DBB3C7FFF60.jpeg
8A23CF45-6EE9-40D0-AE70-E4E60194C9B6.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back