Great service from MJB Tourer Services, Bristol

paulhelenwilko

We were on our way to the Bristol balloon festival in August. In the morning I smelt gas in the Gas Locker. As were going to go straight to Dover from the Balloons for a prolonged stay in France I wanted to get any issue resolved asap.
I looked on the internet and phoned about half a dozen motorhome service engineers ranging from mobile to main dealers no one could help in my time frame.Then I phoned MJB and they said to come straight in and they would find time to have a look.
MJB could not have been more helpful and were very professional. They found the leak, replaced the leaking washers and retested.

Thankyou for going the extra mile and letting us continue our holiday worry free.

We have no hesitation in recommending this business.

You may not know it, but you can buy gas leak detector spray from any plumber's merchant or even B&Q type places. It comes in an aerosol can. You spray it at every joint, and the one that is leaking will fizz and blow bubbles, some as big as a baloon if the leak is bad. Don't worry about spraying it over things like the gas bottle or hoses, or it dripping on the floor, it just disappears when it has finished its job. It is cheap. It will blow little bubbles from a leak that is so small you can't even smell it.
Then of course when you have found the leak, either tighten the joint - cost nothingpence - or if the leak is a crunched fibre or rubber washer, just replace it. Cost nothingpencehalfpenny. If the leak was from a split 20 year old rubber gas pipe, then God Bless You, tiny Tim. You can't afford to go on holiday anyway.
I had to frown when I saw that B&Q web site page. So far as I am aware, and I am after all retired, no longer a gas safe registered bloke, (so I might be wrong) that push fit copper pipe connection he is spraying is not a legal and safe way to join gas pipes. I suspect that an advertising agency or photographer was given the stuff and told to take a photo without knowing the type of joint. I would always solder the joint. Having said that, the product is excellent and everyone with a nose and a gas appliance should have a tin. It doesn't cost a lot.
If that type of joint is now legal and a registered engineer here knows it is, please let me know and I won't criticise the joint type again. It is however excellent for water pipes. Gas is leakier than water.

Last edited:
Actually compression joints are legal, (not push fitss) so long as they are not inside any enclosed space. (such as under floorboards, or inside trunking) You have to be able to test the joint.

yes , i'm happy with comp joints . when i fitted out vans i would put an access panel over them ,and a drop-out hole in the floor

You may not know it, but you can buy gas leak detector spray from any plumber's merchant or even B&Q type places. It comes in an aerosol can. You spray it at every joint, and the one that is leaking will fizz and blow bubbles, some as big as a baloon if the leak is bad. Don't worry about spraying it over things like the gas bottle or hoses, or it dripping on the floor, it just disappears when it has finished its job. It is cheap. It will blow little bubbles from a leak that is so small you can't even smell it.
Then of course when you have found the leak, either tighten the joint - cost nothingpence - or if the leak is a crunched fibre or rubber washer, just replace it. Cost nothingpencehalfpenny. If the leak was from a split 20 year old rubber gas pipe, then God Bless You, tiny Tim. You can't afford to go on holiday anyway.
I had to frown when I saw that B&Q web site page. So far as I am aware, and I am after all retired, no longer a gas safe registered bloke, (so I might be wrong) that push fit copper pipe connection he is spraying is not a legal and safe way to join gas pipes. I suspect that an advertising agency or photographer was given the stuff and told to take a photo without knowing the type of joint. I would always solder the joint. Having said that, the product is excellent and everyone with a nose and a gas appliance should have a tin. It doesn't cost a lot.
If that type of joint is now legal and a registered engineer here knows it is, please let me know and I won't criticise the joint type again. It is however excellent for water pipes. Gas is leakier than water.

Great advice about the spray 👍

The joint, MAY be a crimp joint that I'm pretty sure you can get as approved for gas, but I'm not totally sure.

Rubber needs to be replaced regularly, and I don't mean down at the grab-a-granny disco 😱

That'll get me in the sh1.t lol

Push in fittings get their seal from the pressure in the pipework. That is why they work well with compressed air. They should never be used in a gas line where the internal pressure is only 30 millibar.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back