Government Advice for those leading a nomadic way of life during COVID19

I too fear that in practice liitle real assistance would materialise !
As a single vehicle/couple you might be able to put pressure on and contact the local MP
You should not need to go to such lengths.
In this respect irresponsible travellers are their own worst enemy.

A bit like rubbish and dumping..No facilities so break the law !

On a positive note, at least there is some guidance for the nomadic.
May not amount to much in reality but at least it is a step in the right direction.

When I wrote to our local Borough council about oppression of full timers at Castleton during lockdown they said had the people in the vans asked them for assistance it would have invoked the Councils duty of care to assist them with somewhere to stay, sanitary and other provision. Since they hadn’t asked there was nothing the Borough Council could do for them and the van folks were hence left exposed to the County Councils hostile eviction action.

Cant see how councils can help people that have no fixed abode you cant keep track of them i dont know anything about this type of situation - probably the wrong subject to risk allowing a debate on - you get what you pay for in life - think most people would probably agree with what i said - just trying to be cautious with what i'm saying as well

When I wrote to our local Borough council about oppression of full timers at Castleton during lockdown they said had the people in the vans asked them for assistance it would have invoked the Councils duty of care to assist them with somewhere to stay, sanitary and other provision. Since they hadn’t asked there was nothing the Borough Council could do for them and the van folks were hence left exposed to the County Councils hostile eviction action.
I wonder what stops the council offering the help rather than wait to be asked?

Cant see how councils can help people that have no fixed abode you cant keep track of them i dont know anything about this type of situation - probably the wrong subject to risk allowing a debate on - you get what you pay for in life - think most people would probably agree with what i said - just trying to be cautious with what i'm saying as well

Unwittingly you have got the situation in a nutshell. And assume you have a bricks and mortar address ?

You travel about in your van but aren’t accountable to inform your local council when on jollies for work or recreation so why should other parts of society be tracked ?

You do get what you pay for in life,I would agree, if proper facilities for travellers were set up despite local authority reluctance rent and council tax (band a ) is payable. Sites would benefit from proper sanitation and waste disposal, the collective community settled and travelling benefit.

Access to medical facilities , education by nature become more accessible too.

Traveller issues are not really that different to the settled community, the assumption they want to abuse car parks, freeload is not necessarily the case. I lived with showmen winter accommodation was a particularly problematic for several reasons lack of availability being one. The stability of one location for a few months,stability of schools held a lot of appeal

Of course there are cultural difference, gypsies and dry vans being the obvious , but in realty no different to any other cultural belief.

The sooner both sides drop their prejudice driven by fear and what they don’t understand the faster we will make progress

Unwittingly you have got the situation in a nutshell. And assume you have a bricks and mortar address ?

You travel about in your van but aren’t accountable to inform your local council when on jollies for work or recreation so why should other parts of society be tracked ?

You do get what you pay for in life,I would agree, if proper facilities for travellers were set up despite local authority reluctance rent and council tax (band a ) is payable. Sites would benefit from proper sanitation and waste disposal, the collective community settled and travelling benefit.

Access to medical facilities , education by nature become more accessible too.

Traveller issues are not really that different to the settled community, the assumption they want to abuse car parks, freeload is not necessarily the case. I lived with showmen winter accommodation was a particularly problematic for several reasons lack of availability being one. The stability of one location for a few months,stability of schools held a lot of appeal

Of course there are cultural difference, gypsies and dry vans being the obvious , but in realty no different to any other cultural belief.

The sooner both sides drop their prejudice driven by fear and what they don’t understand the faster we will make progress
You are right i have bricks and mortar and i pay council tax of over 2k a year to maintain an area with repairs and maintenance whatever it needs - but the problem is some people would rather dump waste in bushes and help themselves to free water - there is a gypsy site with mobile homes couple of miles down the road from me and they pay there way - nomadic people could go on a campsite and stay there and pay but some dont want to - everyone is entitled to free national health service in this country - but bottom line is some people are too tight to pay for a campsite

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back