Going daft

Lazlo

Hello,
My sat nav will not recognise the co ords on the poi s have used it extensively around Europe using All the Aires book.What am I doing wrong? sat nav is Tomtom 25 start cheap yes but does the job (unti now ) any help would be appreciated

There's a setting in yur device to change from aires style degreen minutes decimal to .... degrees decimal.

Not hard to change. Aires style not as user friendly.

HTH some

Chrs Mul

Going daft part two

Thanks for your reply my choice of setting
Degrees (d.d*)
Minutes (d*m.m')
Seconds (d*m's'')
Does this make sense ? the asterisk represents the degree, which of the three should I be using thanks

Hi Steve thanks for your input,but let's assume there is no such thing as a daft question,if I have no internet to use the converter, am I unable to use my downloaded POI in the same way as the Aires book with my Tomtom 25.am I stuffed?

Hi Steve thanks for your input,but let's assume there is no such thing as a daft question,if I have no internet to use the converter, am I unable to use my downloaded POI in the same way as the Aires book with my Tomtom 25.am I stuffed?

If you can't get your satnav to accept the coordinates in that format and don't have internet access to use the coordinates converter then yes,it looks like your stuffed,unless you buy another satnav that accepts all the different coordinate formats.

Have you got a decent smartphone?If so you could get a satnav app that accepts the 3 different formats.I have Copilot on my Samsung S7 and it works brilliantly.It will accept the 3 main coordinate formats so I can use poi data in any form,normally costs around 30 quid for the european version but they have a special offer at the moment around half price(which is a bargain)...........CoPilot Europe Navigation - Android Apps on Google Play

Thanks for your reply my choice of setting
Degrees (d.d*)
Minutes (d*m.m')
Seconds (d*m's'')
Does this make sense ? the asterisk represents the degree, which of the three should I be using thanks

The simplest format to use, and the one used for recording our POIs, is the first one you list.

For example one of the Iberia POIs is at 39.579495°, -0.445033°

The format is usually referred to as decimal degrees. Note that if a longitude is to the west of the Greenwich meridian, as the above is, it has a minus sign as it's a negative longitude.

I suggest you alter the setting to suit.

Hello,
My sat nav will not recognise the co ords on the poi s have used it extensively around Europe using All the Aires book.What am I doing wrong? sat nav is Tomtom 25 start cheap yes but does the job (unti now ) any help would be appreciated

Already answered with what my advice would be, sorry didn't see it before posting

Last edited:
The simplest format to use, and the one used for recording our POIs, is the first one you list.

For example one of the Iberia POIs is at 39.579495°, -0.445033°

The format is usually referred to as decimal degrees. Note that if a longitude is to the west of the Greenwich meridian, as the above is, it has a minus sign as it's a negative longitude.

I suggest you alter the setting to suit.

Hi Chris I have tried what you said in this post but my sat nav is still saying does not exist !

You need to explain exactly what you're trying to do.

Please give details of the POI coordinates you're trying to input, and the setting on the satnav.

Why are you entering POI positions manually? You can download our POIs direct to your satnav.

You need to explain exactly what you're trying to do.

Please give details of the POI coordinates you're trying to input, and the setting on the satnav.

Why are you entering POI positions manually? You can download our POIs direct to your satnav.

Hi Chris I am doing as you suggested in your post,setting and co ords thanks Laurence

Hi Chris I am doing as you suggested in your post,setting and co ords thanks Laurence

Still not recognising co ords and I don't have a computer any help would be appreciated thanks Laurence

Have you changed the coordinate format to the one you are trying to use on your TomTom ?

Taken from TomTom website

Using latitude and longitude coordinates

1. From the Main menu, tap .............. Settings.

2. Tap .................... Set units.

3. Select a latitude and longitude format in the Coordinate display screen and tap .................... Done.

Have you changed the coordinate format to the one you are trying to use on your TomTom ?

Taken from TomTom website

Using latitude and longitude coordinates

1. From the Main menu, tap .............. Settings.

2. Tap .................... Set units.

3. Select a latitude and longitude format in the Coordinate display screen and tap .................... Done.
Thanks for your input I have done as you suggested,and put in the format admin suggested but still does not recognise co ords all the Aires works fine on this format ?

All The Aires do not use decimal degrees format. So if you're using a format on the satnav that accepts these coordinates you must change the satnav format to the ddd.ddddd format in order to enter POIs listed on this site.

As POI Admin says, All The Aires coordinates and our WC POI coordinates use different formats.

The sat nav will need to be changed to the correct one when swapping between the two.

As POI Admin says, All The Aires coordinates and our WC POI coordinates use different formats.

The sat nav will need to be changed to the correct one when swapping between the two.

Thank you all, I will now go and lie down in a dark room and try again later using all the help and and info you have patiently contributed cheers Laurence

Thank you all, I will now go and lie down in a dark room and try again later using all the help and and info you have patiently contributed cheers Laurence

Hi guys after lying down in my darkened room I thought I would give it one more go before I explode and hey presto I've done it,thanks to all.But without trying to put a spanner in the works,on my sat nav the POIs and the Aires book work off the same format(honest) Once again thanks Laurence

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back