getting ready for the off !!!

mick

hi nice people , thinking about the road ahead , just upgraded to coachbuilt motorhome from 10yrs of renault autosleeper , bought new van of EBAY last September not really had time to play with all new toy's in it . Passed test no problem , everthing looks ok never had hot water system before and not sure about shower looks ok . Can it be all easy as it looks or is thier any thing simple i should know , got all instuction books but not as good as experience. any tips welcomed thank you .

hi nice people , thinking about the road ahead , just upgraded to coachbuilt motorhome from 10yrs of renault autosleeper , bought new van of EBAY last September not really had time to play with all new toy's in it . Passed test no problem , everthing looks ok never had hot water system before and not sure about shower looks ok . Can it be all easy as it looks or is thier any thing simple i should know , got all instuction books but not as good as experience. any tips welcomed thank you .
Hi Mick,
I think if you have not tried things out in your van maybe you should do so before you go away just to get used to how things work properly;)

Good advice Trev, I'm in a similar situation to Mick and I've tried everything apart from actually having a shower, I've confirmed it works by running it over my hand in the shower tray but have not stripped off and took a shower yet. It runs from a Cascade 2,Gas only hot water boiler which has a 9 litre capacity, I just wonder if 9 litres is enough to wash my Greek godlike body:D or will it run cold before I'm finished, or does it revert to instantaneous hot water when the tank is empty, I suppose I'll have to take a shower and try it out in the drive:eek:

Good advice Trev, I'm in a similar situation to Mick and I've tried everything apart from actually having a shower, I've confirmed it works by running it over my hand in the shower tray but have not stripped off and took a shower yet. It runs from a Cascade 2,Gas only hot water boiler which has a 9 litre capacity, I just wonder if 9 litres is enough to wash my Greek godlike body:D or will it run cold before I'm finished, or does it revert to instantaneous hot water when the tank is empty, I suppose I'll have to take a shower and try it out in the drive:eek:
it runs out as it can't heat it as quick as you use it had a carver cascade 2 in my last van, don't expect a long shower but remember you are mixing hot with some cold so it will last a little longer than just hot on its own. may be less hassle to have a strip wash and use the shower head to wash your hair also make sure your shower curtain is round as i found without it the water run down the door onto the floor outside the shower room. some vans of course have other arrangements

it runs out as it can't heat it as quick as you use it had a carver cascade 2 in my last van, don't expect a long shower but remember you are mixing hot with some cold so it will last a little longer than just hot on its own. may be less hassle to have a strip wash and use the shower head to wash your hair also make sure your shower curtain is round as i found without it the water run down the door onto the floor outside the shower room. some vans of course have other arrangements

Thanks for that, Walkers ,though I had to laugh when you said ,To wash your Hair:eek::D, I'm as baldy as a Coot:D:rolleyes::cool:

Thanks for that, Walkers ,though I had to laugh when you said ,To wash your Hair:eek::D, I'm as baldy as a Coot:D:rolleyes::cool:
I was just about to say that but did not want to offend you Mr Kojak:p any way i dont think you will get your heed in the shower:rolleyes:

Last edited:
cheers Trev , not use to these luxuries last van only had cold water and porta potti , think autoquest 270 has everthing i need , Have to play with all the strange gas taps , found 4 upto now . has same 9lt water heater dont know if runs warm all time either ?.

cheers Trev , not use to these luxuries last van only had cold water and porta potti , think autoquest 270 has everthing i need , Have to play with all the strange gas taps , found 4 upto now . has same 9lt water heater dont know if runs warm all time either ?.

I dont use my water heater very often, but i only put it on for about 10 mins and it stays warm for quite a while good for doing the dishes and having a wash, it works on gas and 240 volt.

here's a wee tip lenny!
don't use the shower,
park up beside a scottish loch, or an english lake
at 6am take a bar of soap and walk into the loch,
completly immerse yourself,(even gargle underwater)
this cures, hangovers, sweaty feet, b.o. bad breath,and god knows what else
don't know about england, but scottish lochs, are normally -5 degrees at 6am
BRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:
also saves on the gas, which can't be a bad thing

Basics

Just check every thing works before you go away,all you can do really.We only go away once a month but i always run every thing before we go and thats on a new van ,it just becomes a routine really.

Mick you probably have,
1 gas tap for the fridge.
1 gas tap for the cooker.
1 gas tap for the heating.
1 gas tap for the water heating.
The reason for the taps is if you have a problem with any one of your appliances you can turn it off individually so you can still use the other ones.
The water heater should have a built in thermostat so it will cut off when it reaches the right temperature.

We are total novices and have been doing everything in gradual stages - and build confidence as we go along. First, just driving in it; then the gas hob so we could heat a kettle; then the loo, (after learning how to fill the water), and finally the shower and cooker. Emptying the 'grey' water was another major achievement (getting it to empty in the right place!). I have had check lists of check lists in case we forget something - we usually do - securing the fridge door perhaps, disconnecting the gas before travel etc - but we are getting there. By the way if anyone wants an away from it all place, with a 'Darling Buds' atmosphere, try Britchcome Farm, Uffington. have a look at the website. Our avatar is a view from our motorhome in a field in Wiltshire, near the canal at Bishop's Cannings. A field with water and waste points that's all - and heavenly views into the Pewsey Vale. Good pub nearby and good access.

everthing checked out ok .

got everything sorted now , don't know what loch/lake to wash in but i'm sure their all cold , lol , just need wind to ease then can go ENWS i dont know where i will end up but it will be epic again , got to go to Manchester on Sunday , so Monday should be off !! . :D

got everything sorted now , don't know what loch/lake to wash in but i'm sure their all cold , lol , just need wind to ease then can go ENWS i dont know where i will end up but it will be epic again , got to go to Manchester on Sunday , so Monday should be off !! . :D
Good Luck Mick and have a nice time mate, i'm sure you will let us know how you get on.;):):D:cool:

not even got of drive , forcasting gale's and floods so waiting for better weather

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back