Germany in an older Motorhome?

Rollin

My dearly beloved moho was built in 1995 making many urban areas off limits. Of course it's fine when away from big cities, but I want to go to Germany next and really want to visit some of the major cities - Berlin in particular, but others on the way such as Frankfurt, Hannover and Cologne.

Germany seems to be going all in with almost everywhere seeming to have a LEZ. There's apparently a massive 820 km² one in the Ruhr area which covers a whole load of smaller cities for example.

So should I give up on my plans to conquer Deutschland until I've converted the old girl to electric (ahaha)?

I've found this site which seems pretty authoritative, but how can I be sure it's accurate and up-to-date?

One thing that worries me is misreading the map or taking a wrong turn and inadvertently getting a massive fine!

Maybe it's time for me and the van to just drive ourselves into the sea, where the water can wash away our sins.

My dearly beloved moho was built in 1995 making many urban areas off limits. Of course it's fine when away from big cities, but I want to go to Germany next and really want to visit some of the major cities - Berlin in particular, but others on the way such as Frankfurt, Hannover and Cologne.

Germany seems to be going all in with almost everywhere seeming to have a LEZ. There's apparently a massive 820 km² one in the Ruhr area which covers a whole load of smaller cities for example.

So should I give up on my plans to conquer Deutschland until I've converted the old girl to electric (ahaha)?

I've found this site which seems pretty authoritative, but how can I be sure it's accurate and up-to-date?

One thing that worries me is misreading the map or taking a wrong turn and inadvertently getting a massive fine!

Maybe it's time for me and the van to just drive ourselves into the sea, where the water can wash away our sins.

Most autobahns in Germany go through or around cities.
I drive through Germany quite often and recently needed to deliver a keyboard to someone in Dusseldorf.
I was driving the motorhome (no umweltplakette, eco badge) on my way to Bueckeburg, north Germany, I turned off the motorway and immediately onto a parking area with McDees and other shops nearby to meet my contact. Surely you could then get public transport into the city from there.
I was told that it was ok to park immediately after exiting the motorway if you did not have this eco badge.

Thanks, yes it must be possible to find places I can stop near enough to wherever I want to visit. I really want to spend a few days in each place though, so I need somewhere official, rather than a carpark (which would be fine for a daytrip etc).

I have just found this interactive map which seems to be just what I need:

UBA.gdi | Low emission zones and air quality plans in Germany

It's the official site of the German Environment Ministry so should be reliable. If you zoom in on one of the dotted cities, it will eventually expand to show the actual area covered. This should be enough for me, in conjunction with a separate map of Stelleplatze.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back