Generators

bigbarry

I am interested in purchasing a mid range generator 1.5 - 2 Kw. I would ideally like a small one that I can lift into the storage locker without giving myself a hernia. I am interested in recommendations or makes to steer clear of.

Thanks in anticipation, bigbarry

ill keep an eye on this thread been lookin mesel not sure what make i want for reliability quiet ones are really expensive ...but then i dont want summat that sounds like a jack hammer but one day ill come across summat second hand for good money maybe ....but which one?? ...what size???

Hi if away for extended periods without running around in the van, I have used an old 'Wolf' generator, 800w two stroke petrol, it is actually a cheap Chinese unit, but does for me, as I generally only run lights, laptop and occasionally a T.V on electricity, though my back up power at home is an SDMO. 4Kva diesel unit that would give most folk a hernia!

Honda are great. Only need 1 Kw really. You can run your fridge, charge your batteries, run LED lights, computer, small TV and water pump off 1kw easily. Why do you need any more - it will take up more space and use more fuel.

I've got a Honda EU10i. It's really quite... 52dB. You could run it at night and still sleep easily.

4 stroke engine. Disadvantage = expensive new. But you can get them 2nd hand. I'd prefer a 2nd hand Honda to a cheap and heavy 2 stroke new model.

Our local Aldi was selling Generators a few weeks ago very cheap.
No idea how quite they would be or were they 2 or 4 stroke or the power output was sorry but they were cheap.
I have never stopped in one place long enough to warrant a generator so I can’t advise which to go for sorry, I do know for sure Honda’s are quite…

Aspire255

The Aldi one would be 2 stroke and I think 600w.

Kippor are supposed to be OK - pretty much Honda clones at a better price. Not tried one though.

2 stroke SHOULD be lighter than 4 stroke - the engines are considerably less complex and they create more power per cc. However, economy may be worse.
However, of course, a cheap 2 stroke may be heavier than a decent 4 stroke because lighter materials are used in the 4 stroke.

Consider if you want quiet or not - this will add a bit of weight and cost, but may be considerably more pleasant to use.

As above - do consider how much power you need.

Yes, it's nice to be able to boil a kettle with it - but if you've got gas anyway and the only large thing, probably best to do without.
(From bike racing previously I typically had at least 2.4kw ones, to be able to do two sets of tyre warmers, so there was always plenty of power left over when used in the evening.)

The really cheap ones do OK for power tools etc but a lot of modern electrical stuff doesn't like the crude wave form they generate. The modern invertor generators like Honda and Kippor will run anything and seem OK. Honda is the brand leader and one hears few complaints where as some have had problems with Kippor but I had no problems with mine and then sold it to a friend who is still my friend a year later.

I am interested in purchasing a mid range generator 1.5 - 2 Kw. I would ideally like a small one that I can lift into the storage locker without giving myself a hernia. I am interested in recommendations or makes to steer clear of.

Thanks in anticipation, bigbarry

I got one of these , great little runner and compact, two stroke but eh you only run for an hour a day if needed.

NEW TRUESHOPPING® QUIET PORTABLE SUITCASE DIGITAL PETROL GENERATOR 0.7KVA 2.0HP: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

delivered within two days.

You can have a complaint about my Honda - it often turns it's self off if a bit low on oil, but the oil light doesn't come on for a while after that.
Took me ages to find that out, including having it apart a fair bit etc.

However, apart from that it's been good - butt then you'd hope so with an RRP of over £3k for a 4kva! (Came with my vehicle which cost a bit over 6k, I wouldn't be paying that much, even if it has got a good name!)

I've got a Clarke 800W 2 stroke. Very quiet - in fact amazingly so, reliable, economy OK, but not brilliant (5 litres of fuel lasts about 5-6 hours). Powers lights and TV / digisat box, laptops, charges mobiles which is all I want.

Cost me new about £100 and would recommend to anyone.

The Hyundai range are very good quality, we bought the HY1000si and very happy with it nice and quite and easy to start personally I would say they are up there with the Hondas , but a lot less money to buy

OK, but not brilliant (5 litres of fuel lasts about 5-6 hours).
My 4 stroke Honda is listed as around 2.3lt per hour!

Ok, it does make 4x the power of yours, but it's rare I'm even using 800w, nevermind near the full amount!
Now got a slightly better charger (outputting a whole 288w, rather than the old one which I measured at about 100w), but really want to get a big chunky charger and big chunky batteries, so an hour's run time will not only let run power intensive stuff, but put a good lot of power back into the batteries.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back