Generator / Electrics

Hazy-thoughts

Hi further to my recent post in search of an auto electrician, I wondered if anyone could give me an idea as to what might be happening in my van. Long shot I know without actually seeing it ...... But what the heck :rolleyes:

I have a inbuilt Honda Genny which appears to be almost new (50 hours running time) it is wired into the two leisure batteries but seems to do absolutely bugger all :confused: It does not charge the battery when running, nor does it act as an alternative to the batteries in powering the lights, etc.

This is really puzzling me and I wondered whether any of you guy's would have a clue as to what is happening :confused:

The easy option would be to take it into an auto electrician shop, but I am very worried that they might spend a while diagnosing the fault, then charge me a small fortune for something very minor. Any help or advice very much appreciated.

bit of a long shot, but do you have a control panel similar to a zigg unit mabey there are some switches that distribute the power to different systems ie charging and internal consumables ??????? if so maybe the fuses may need checking or failing that take the details and do a quick lookup over the net. sometimes it is something simple like an inline fuse that needs replacing

sound advice from Mandrake..... if all the fuses check out,
1st place to start is isolating the genny.
disconnect the output wires , then using either a voltmeter
or 12V test lamp ....start up the genny & see if your actually
getting any juice out of it.
If no, then it's a genny problem. (unlikely on a Honda with 50hrs...
possible internal fuse ?? maybe).
If yes, then it's a wiring/fuse/connection/
regulator problem. & you'll have to follow the yellow brick road...
checking where you've got / not got juice in the system.
Hopefully , you got some wiring diagrams.
good luck , vanmandan.

I had a Hymer 694g once with a built in genny imported from Germany so no hand books.
Had the same problem as you until a mate looked inside the wardrobe and found a isolation switch.Turned the switch and with the genny on had mains power to all sockets and the batts were charging.
You must have a switch somewhere that isolates the genny this switch only allows genny power or hookup power not both I suggest looking near the hookup socket.

I do have a switch in the wardrobe funnily enough, when I bought the van they said this was for 240v and to be turned when I am on hook up. Does this sound right to you guy's or have the garage got it wrong and this switch is actually for the Genny.

Would I do any harm in trying this theory out :confused:

Hogan, if ever we meet be prepared to be kissed :D

You have solved my problem mate, the switch in the wardrobe was not for the hook up as explained to me by the morons at the garage , it is indeed to iniate the genny, I have just tried it and lo and behold it charges up the batteries, it also gives us mains power throughout the van :cool:

OK Leave out the kisses:D
Just make sure that when you are on hook up you put the switch back in the other position or you will have no power from the hook up.
No damage can be done by having the switch in the wrong position,the power will not get through.

Ok then no kissing, lol
Thanks very much mate, you dont know how much aggro this has given us, and how many times I looked for a switch everywhere and anywhere in the van. I knew that one was there, just didnt use it as the garage explicitly told me it was for the hook up, It was obviously switched to hook up though and therefore wouldnt initiate the genny power into batteries / sockets because of this.
With this being our first motorhome and the language barrier buying from Germany we have had to learn as we are going along. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pleased to see you got your genny problem sorted Hazy, and well done Hogan for helping out, It just goes to show the value of this type of forum;).

I just wish someone would ask a question that I know the answer to:eek::(:p

What make of motorhome is it ?

Hymer mate,
I have had an English manual e mailed across to me by Hymer (extremely helpful people) unfortunately because it is in a TIF format I cant do anything with it. I have a friend who is actually printing it off for me, but it is 115 pages long so I dont feel I can hurry him up too much :rolleyes:

Pleased to see you got your genny problem sorted Hazy, and well done Hogan for helping out, It just goes to show the value of this type of forum;).

I just wish someone would ask a question that I know the answer to:eek::(:p
proves this site is invaluable to us may it always stay that way most problems can be sorted out on here

This site, and you guy's were invaluble when researching the van we wanted to buy, also with help in where to buy, (although that is another story) and how to go about things. Now I have the van, I am sure that I will need advice and help along the way. Hopefully as I become a little more knowledgable I will start to put a little back iby the way of helping others.

Thanks all of you for your answers and help. :)

Ok Lenny i will give you a question that you can easily answer, how long is a piece of string?

Ok Lenny i will give you a question that you can easily answer, how long is a piece of string?

:D LOL, well at least with that question, I,m not alone in being unable to answer it or offer any help;):rolleyes::cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back