Generator cage

• Thread starter Deleted member 12539
  • Start date

Deleted member 12539

I recently got hold of a Yamaha generator (YSG 750), and would like to be able to use it with my motorhome. However, my outside gas locker has not quite got enough room for it and it could not be carried in any of the habitation lockers.
My intention is to use our works welder to make up a underslung cage, with a view to running the generator from there.
I understand the problems that may be associated with vibration and noise, and I can extend the exhaust to the outer edge of the van.
Has anyone done this or can see why I should not do it.
Your thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Regards
Dave

I recently got hold of a Yamaha generator (YSG 750), and would like to be able to use it with my motorhome. However, my outside gas locker has not quite got enough room for it and it could not be carried in any of the habitation lockers.
My intention is to use our works welder to make up a underslung cage, with a view to running the generator from there.
I understand the problems that may be associated with vibration and noise, and I can extend the exhaust to the outer edge of the van.
Has anyone done this or can see why I should not do it.
Your thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Regards
Dave

Dave

Not some thing I know anything about so did a bit of research on your behalf. By cage, I take it you mean an open structure. Think say 40 mph and a large puddle??. If you put in a case it would need to be sealed and then removable for ventilation and access. Is it not possible to adapt/build an internal locker.

Richard

On my RV the gennie is mounted on a platform under the nearside rear and is exposed to the elements as is on most RV`s, I have had no problem with water etc on this one or on others I have owned.
If you`ve got the room to make a holding bracket for underneath and it`s not too low I don`t think you should have a problem.
Wyn

Gene box

Hi Beemer. I have a suntrekker demountable and as you can guess its capacity is limited.
However, I carry a Honda gene on the back in a lockable case. It can be run from the case and also filled up without removing. The gene has a 12v socket which run some computer cooling fans which keeps the running temperature down when the lid is closed.

Attachments

• WCFMHGene.jpg
    WCFMHGene.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 97
Just to give you an idea regards storage. I don't know if you have a reack at the back !!!!

Rearwithmountainpainting.jpg

Gene box

.....and here's a close up in more detail.

Attachments

• WCFMHGene2.jpg
    WCFMHGene2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 107
Hi Beemer. I have a suntrekker demountable and as you can guess its capacity is limited.
However, I carry a Honda gene on the back in a lockable case. It can be run from the case and also filled up without removing. The gene has a 12v socket which run some computer cooling fans which keeps the running temperature down when the lid is closed.

Looks a brilliant job Journeyman. I sent a picture of boxes on a rack to Beemer. Hope it helps him.

Cool....

Nice van David, looks mint....:cool: and Journeyman, that's a good set up you have made....:cool::cool:

Thanks for replies...
David and Ann, I don't really have the space at the back of the 'van, as it is already quite long at 7.5m, so I would like to tuck my genny under the back out of the way.

Journeyman, that looks a very well thought out container, do you get vibration problems through to the living space when the generator is running?

I have, what seems like plenty of space under the back of the van around the spare tyre. I have taken some photos and hope to get then on the thread.
I am still trying to get pictures uploaded, even after following instructions on here, I am still not able to do it.

On my RV the gennie is mounted on a platform under the nearside rear and is exposed to the elements as is on most RV`s, I have had no problem with water etc on this one or on others I have owned.
If you`ve got the room to make a holding bracket for underneath and it`s not too low I don`t think you should have a problem.
Wyn

Is it not in an alcove protected from the worst of the road salt and mud. If you look at most underslung cage mounted spare tyres they are caked in all sorts of grot. Not the best way to treat a generator surely.

Is it not in an alcove protected from the worst of the road salt and mud. If you look at most underslung cage mounted spare tyres they are caked in all sorts of grot. Not the best way to treat a generator surely.

There is a mudflap to stop it getting caked but thats the way it was built and had no probs with it.
Most underslung spares are centered so will catch more roadspray.

Wyn

Vibes

Thanks for replies...
David and Ann, I don't really have the space at the back of the 'van, as it is already quite long at 7.5m, so I would like to tuck my genny under the back out of the way.

Journeyman, that looks a very well thought out container, do you get vibration problems through to the living space when the generator is running?

I have, what seems like plenty of space under the back of the van around the spare tyre. I have taken some photos and hope to get then on the thread.
I am still trying to get pictures uploaded, even after following instructions on here, I am still not able to do it.

No vibration. Suggest you mount your gene on an anti vibe tray and if your gene hasn't already got them already, some rubber feet. How much air flow have you got in your ideal housing position?

Have finally discovered the 'long' way round loading pics I hope!!!

I have three pics, one showing the old generator, one showing a side view of the 'van when it being prepared in the workshop (it is clearer to see how much room I have at the rear (under), and one showing under the back where the spare tyre is located, where I hope, perhaps to build a cage for the generator.

Attachments

• genny small.JPG
    genny small.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 80
  • underneath small.JPG
    underneath small.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 81
  • side pic small.JPG
    side pic small.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 85
Gene installation

Hi Beemer, congratulations on getting your photos up. Cant quite see how you would access the gene if its installed next to the spare wheel, if thats where you were intending to place it. Your van looks like a monster. From that photo of the whole van my first thoughts would be to redesign the locker at the back, where you have some blue items stowed. I would have some kind of pull out flat draw with the gene bolted to it, but with such a big van the possibilities are endless.

Do a weblookup for Telair who have a range of underslung gennies that slide in and out. The parts manual has an exploded diagram of the box/cage, how to fit, etc.

I'd convert the genny to LPG and run it off the gas bottles, unless you can get really easy access to refill with petrol.

You definitely need a sealed box if you undersling a genny, with vents that can be opened when powered up.

If you have the engineering skills you could probably modify a set of electric steps to tuck the genny up next to the chassis in a box, whilst still having easy access for refueling, oil check etc.

Do a weblookup for Telair who have a range of underslung gennies that slide in and out.
If you have the engineering skills you could probably modify a set of electric steps to tuck the genny up next to the chassis in a box, whilst still having easy access for refueling, oil check etc.

Really do like the idea of accessing the generator by using electrical step mechanism!!!:)

Have finally discovered the 'long' way round loading pics I hope!!!

I have three pics, one showing the old generator, one showing a side view of the 'van when it being prepared in the workshop (it is clearer to see how much room I have at the rear (under), and one showing under the back where the spare tyre is located, where I hope, perhaps to build a cage for the generator.

What is that box shape showing under the MH in your middle picture. Is it a locker space just like on the other side. If it is, perhaps something could be done with it. What is the height of the Generator?

The box shape is the locker on that side of the van, there is another one on the other side which are joined across the back of the van.
The generator will not fit into any of these lockers unfortunately, and I would still need to use the lockers for storage, hence the idea for the 'cage'.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back