Gaslow system filling very slowly

northman

Hi there. My newly installed `Gaslow system worked fine when I first filled it and only took (from memory) 27 litres because it was the first fill. Since then it has refused to fill at a reasonable speed (15 minutes today to put in 3.5 litres!). Has anyone any idea why this is happening. The bottles (2 x 15K) are switched off as instructed. I am going to France next week so need an urgent solution.

The refill time slows down dramatically once you reach the 80% fill level. If you keep the button pressed it will still trickle in, albeit very slowly.

From what you described you were already very full.

I have very little experience of these systems, having only topped up a underslung tank once, but my first thought would be a partly blocked filter.

I’ve got one of these wee gizmos its came in handy a few times.

I’ve got one of these wee gizmos its came in handy a few times.

I just look on my phone ;-)

Screenshot_20230427_224507_Tank .jpg

They don't have a filter on them. It's a stainless pipe to a filler on the tank. Both tanks are probably full. The guy where I go said when they slow down they are usually full. By keeping your finger on the button you are just forcing gas passed the stop valve. If you are not sure take the bottle out and weigh it.

The Gaslow tanks have gauges on top so it should be easy to check if full.

Well mine do anyway.

Did you lock the gas nozzle trigger onto the filler point and then press the fill button?

Probably a teach a chicken to lay eggs situation as you have filled before so you are familiar with the routine.

If you don’t lock the nozzle trigger and hold it open manually whilst at the same time pressing the fill button this can slow the fill.

Must admit I don’t turn off the bottles when filling. And on the occasions when queuing behind other vans at lpg pumps never seem them open their lockers either. But they may already be turned off before entering the forecourt but how likely is this?

Also travel around with the bottles on. We do have a Gaslow dual bottle automatic switch over and crash sensor fitted.

I normally check the tank levels with the gauges at some point before filling to monitor gas consumption. More so when using heating when consumption dives. If using fridge on gas and cooking it seems to last forever. It gives me some idea how many litres will be required to fill the tanks at around 1.9ltr per kg of gas used. So when the pump suddenly slows down I know the tanks are full and it’s not a sudden filling failure.

Last edited:
The large Gaslow cylinders are 11kg and not 15kg, they hold approx 21 litres each at 80% full so two of them would be approx 42 litres at 80% full.

If your system only took 27 litres at the first fill it must have had approx 15 litres already in it so it was nothing to do with it being its first fill which i find strange because new cylinders are normally empty.

The large Gaslow cylinders are 11kg and not 15kg, they hold approx 21 litres each at 80% full so two of them would be approx 42 litres at 80% full.

If your system only took 27 litres at the first fill it must have had approx 15 litres already in it so it was nothing to do with it being its first fill which i find strange because new cylinders are normally empty.

Our installer did a part fill so that they could test the installation to make sure everything is working. We were charged for the part fill lpg on the invoice.

Wouldn’t every installer do this?

Begs the question who did the installation?

And are gauges fitted to the top of each bottle and is there an automatic bottle switch over fitted?

The slow filling issue was reported as being with subsequent fills after the first fill. What we don’t know is how many subsequent fills have been attempted and whether it was with different pumps or the same each time. And how empty or full were each of the bottles on each filling occasion.

We do know the taps were closed.

More info would help to solve the slow filling mystery.

Last edited:
I do suspect they may be full and you have probably overfilled them now but it’s only a feeling.

If in doubt ring Charlie at Autogas 2000. I don’t know if there is any other way to check if they are full/over full except be weighing the bottles but Charlie will know

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back