GASLOW........and the credit cruch kid.

gas low

Hi all, I have had the gas low system for over two years and great it is,But this year in italy my partner had the smell of gas inside the motorhome, I checked and found that the blow off valve had opened due to the outside temp being so high and that gas was coming into the van by the open window.
I pulled out the cylinders and cooled them down, lucky the valve closed, it only played up once, But I will not fill to the top again in the summer.
terry

Just been replying to the fridge problem thread and with the fear of repeating myself thought I would offer a few sobering facts.
We had a Gaslow system Fitted last year, to increase wild camping options and as a boat owner for 14 years, filling Mr Calor's pocket. I wanted to save money.
I am thoroughly satisfied with the system, though expensive to rig up from new, the chickens are finally coming home to roost.
Since I last filled the tanks to go to the Hebrides, the system had been serving the fridge, a 150 ltr tech tower with freezer and an oven, plus the hob and the hot water system. We ate out once in 19 days so every meal was cooked on the van. the water was on, mornings for 2 showers and evenings for washing up and evening ablutions.
Today I refilled the tanks 23ltrs @ .55p ltr £12.65. I am informed that a litre of gas is 1/2 a kilo so that is near as damnit 12 kilo's, now I don't Know what Calor are extorting, sorry charging for gas these days but I bet I am paying about half their charge.
If you are thinking of getting on board then do so, you can fill up when you like and all over Europe, (a set of adaptors is included) and......... you never have to lift another gas bottle:):);) and if you think ...oh well I always use hook up when on site, do the math.
most sites charge £2.00 - £2.50 for a hook up so for 19 nights that would be £38 - £47.50 for electric compared to £12.50........I know you have to factor in the initial charge of the system but as time goes on this begins to deminish whilst hook up charges will increase, some already at £3 per night.
So I am happy with my choice and just glad I did it before the fuel rip off began.:rolleyes:

hi iam a full timer in south of spain and no luck with lpg at petrol stations

Thanks Bob, I'll check out the links you sent. We are really looking forward to our trip.:)

Cheers
Toymaker

Just reserecting this thread, as the calor discount thread does not allow comments on other forms of gas.....:(:(:(
So all you Calor slaves, it only takes 10 years of membership fees to the caravan club ( its a pile of s***t anyway) to get yourself up and running with GASLOW and you will not save 10% or even 20% or even 30% ..........
OR
EVEN 40%.....................

:p:p:pBUT OVER 50% on your gas from fitting on.;););)

and you won't need to suffer all those caravanners looking down their noses at you:D:

Does anyone remember when we were all told diesel engines was better for the environment and we were all encouraged to have disel cars. The diesel then was much cheaper than petrol, many people switched and the nasty chancellor increased the price and they told us it was suddenly worse than petrol.
The new kid on the block lpg is the new clean fuel, does anyone want to guess what will happen to the prices when the greedy chancellor finds enough of us have lpg cars?

Propane or butane

Question:confused: do you fill your Gaslow bottles with Propane or Butane ?,do you have a choice cos I notice they sell both types of regulators:confused::rolleyes:

Lenny

I think you don't want Butane, as it has a lower freezing point and can cause problems in cold times.

When you refill a gaslow bottle, it is LGP, this (so I'm told) is more like propane and won't freeze (unless you live in a place that can get to -190°C):eek:

Wilse

If you are of sound mind, able to read and understand what you are reading, able to follow simple instructions and want to save money on gas, then consider using a propane bottle with an adapter (approx 34quid from ebay) Refill from any LPG station.

Hi Wildman,
Is that what you have, I have a 13 KG Propane bottle would it fit.

Toyman, we are off to Spain for the Winter too, we are staying in one place so won't be able to get off the site to re-fill the gaslow so, we have purchased from Gaslow a valve for a spanish bottle, a bend to fit it and a metre length of pipe so I can but/hire a bottle from the site shop,disconnect one gaslow bottle and just keep changing the local bottle as required.

Question:confused: do you fill your Gaslow bottles with Propane or Butane ?,do you have a choice cos I notice they sell both types of regulators:confused::rolleyes:

Hi Lenny, Looking forward to next W/E, if you get to make it.
Gaslow is designed to take AUTOGAS which is what you get from filling stations and what L.P.G. coverted cars take. This is a mixture of Propane and Butane. I don't know the exact ratios but I guess it must be more propane than butane otherwise converted cars would fail to work under -10. I know of people using Gaslow well below that figure on skiing trips.
I will show you the set up next time we meet.:);)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back