Gaslow 11kg direct refillable lpg bottle

kevarama11

Hi there. We are from New Zealand, and are purchasing a motorhome in the UK in May 2020 to travel for four months, then export back to New Zealand. (and Yes, we do pay customs duty (10%) and tax (15%) on it when it arrives in NZ :)) The question I have is: We would like to purchase a Gaslow 11 kg direct refillable lpg bottle with the international connections so that we are set up for Europe. We had a similar system in 2018 when we did this and it was fantastic all around Europe. We are picking up our motorhome in Essex. Does anyone happen to know an agent in that area who would stock these bottles - or would we need to order one before we arrive? Thanks for any info that you might have.

I would have thought the company you are buying the motorhome from would be able to supply and fit it for you

If you have a address in Essex perhaps the MH dealer your buying from or some friends Gasit will post to it and you can collect and fit if happy to diy. Also theres a gasit discount available to full members of this site. When you get to ship van home is there a clause that you can't ship gas bottles on container ships ?

Have a word with Charlie at Vangas, he can normally undercut other prices Even with discounts. No longer a member on here so you can’t do him

If you have a address in Essex perhaps the MH dealer your buying from or some friends Gasit will post to it and you can collect and fit if happy to diy. Also theres a gasit discount available to full members of this site. When you get to ship van home is there a clause that you can't ship gas bottles on container ships ?
I am shipping my Vehicle to Canada.
I have Gas-it
They just have to be empty

BUT BUT BUT check with your shipping company !

Hi there. We are from New Zealand, and are purchasing a motorhome in the UK in May 2020 to travel for four months, then export back to New Zealand. (and Yes, we do pay customs duty (10%) and tax (15%) on it when it arrives in NZ :)) The question I have is: We would like to purchase a Gaslow 11 kg direct refillable lpg bottle with the international connections so that we are set up for Europe. We had a similar system in 2018 when we did this and it was fantastic all around Europe. We are picking up our motorhome in Essex. Does anyone happen to know an agent in that area who would stock these bottles - or would we need to order one before we arrive? Thanks for any info that you might have.
Don’t forget that you cannot use gaslow systems in NZ. We shipped our old van over to NZ two years ago and had to remove the gaslow bottle and regulator as it is not ‘compliant’ with NZ regs.

I was toying with the idea of doing that with mine when I'm over the EU - to Tasmania. Would be interested in the costs when you do it.

Given what is said above maybe using various EU country exchange bottles with adaptors would be cheaper? I bought my Gaslow online and fitted it myself. Theres a small filling point with a flap that you screw the country adaptor into. It's easier to locate and fit.

I was toying with the idea of doing that with mine when I'm over the EU - to Tasmania. Would be interested in the costs when you do it.

Given what is said above maybe using various EU country exchange bottles with adaptors would be cheaper? I bought my Gaslow online and fitted it myself. Theres a small filling point with a flap that you screw the country adaptor into. It's easier to locate and fit.
Don’t know about Tasmania. We used a company called Castle-European in NZ to organise everything. They were very good. The original owner Paul has retired but the new owners seem on the ball and Paul is staying on for a while as an advisor. You can organise it all yourself and cheaper of course but there are a lot ‘official’ hoops to get through and is a bit of a minefield.

How much was the shipping as that is about the only part that would be common? Or did they not itemise it?

How much was the shipping as that is about the only part that would be common? Or did they not itemise it?
The actual shipping cost to NZ is around £4500. That is paid directly to the shipping company. You would then have to pay (assuming you would sell van after visit) import duties, conversion cost, registration etc. Depending on the van you may cover all or most of the outlay. We covered ours to NZ quite well on a 2011 burstner.

I know it's done with caravans and that it can be worth while economically, just not sure how a motorhome would differ as afr as the regs for the electrics and gas stuff. Also mine is left hand drive, which I've found not to be a bother in the UK, but could be an issue if ever I wanted to sell it in Australia (limit buyers). The other concern is if you need a large part, like say a windscreen, that's going to be extremely expensive to get over. Could be an argument for going for one with the standard Ducato cab. I suppose that comes down to having good insurance.

I know it's done with caravans and that it can be worth while economically, just not sure how a motorhome would differ as afr as the regs for the electrics and gas stuff. Also mine is left hand drive, which I've found not to be a bother in the UK, but could be an issue if ever I wanted to sell it in Australia (limit buyers). The other concern is if you need a large part, like say a windscreen, that's going to be extremely expensive to get over. Could be an argument for going for one with the standard Ducato cab. I suppose that comes down to having good insurance.
If it’s left hand drive then imho forget it. I know that in NZ no-one will touch it and it is possible that it may even have to be converted to RHD to get in? Aussie folks we met seemed to indicate Oz is the same. Also sounds like you have an A class, another downer because of the windscreen. Can take up to six months for a replacement.... Standard Ducati bases are popular due to plenty of Fiat dealers.

When I originally purchased my motorhome it was to tour NZ for 6 months. Cost of the shipment was high as I hadn't accounted for the height but I also found out that NZ customs would only allow entry for the vehicle with what was 'Manufacturer-supplied and fitted' Also 6000 NZ$ to deep clean I'm not saying you haven't but make sure you check the rules fully. We ended up byuing a people carrier and taking the back seats out then fitting a mattress in the back, great time, lovely place

When I originally purchased my motorhome it was to tour NZ for 6 months. Cost of the shipment was high as I hadn't accounted for the height but I also found out that NZ customs would only allow entry for the vehicle with what was 'Manufacturer-supplied and fitted' Also 6000 NZ$ to deep clean I'm not saying you haven't but make sure you check the rules fully. We ended up byuing a people carrier and taking the back seats out then fitting a mattress in the back, great time, lovely place
I gave my van a really good clean inside and out making sure that there was no sign of dirt, leaves or any organic materials. My bill on entry was NZ$63 for the MaF check. You can get hit with up to NZ$800 if they find a problem - never heard of 6000!
I have to say though that the people carrier option whilst ‘cheap’ Is not recommended as they are universally hated by locals. They are very likely to be banned soon as a camper type vehicle as the majority are used by youngsters who are travelling and working their way around and show little respect for the countryside. I have seen plenty of evidence of their visits in the bondu and it wasn’t left by dogs! Not all but a significant majority. A camper should have a’Self Containment Certificate’ on display, quite a lot look a bit dodgy (photo copy?) on these ‘sliders’ (local name due to noisy opening /closing of side doors). You do not want to be parked next to one at night.

Thanks for that Owlhouse, my son-in-law took in a 6-month-old 4 wheel drive in a container, they found spots of rust that could be contaminated(?) and he was charged $6000 NZ dollars When he originally told me it was for the clean but I've checked to make sure of what I had said and it did include Customs and Tax, which would have been the largest chunk of it, so fully see where you are coming from but it was still a shock when you are there waiting for your vehicle.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back