Gas water heater?

Topmast

This is a bit of a strange question but looking at a photo of the interior of a van today I noticed it had a small gas water heater similar to the domestic wall mounted ones,it was mounted quite near to the ceiling but I could not see any flue ( it could be behind but was unable to see from the picture) surely this type of water heater should have an outside vent or am I mistaken?.

This is a bit of a strange question but looking at a photo of the interior of a van today I noticed it had a small gas water heater similar to the domestic wall mounted ones,it was mounted quite near to the ceiling but I could not see any flue ( it could be behind but was unable to see from the picture) surely this type of water heater should have an outside vent or am I mistaken?.

Probably a through the wall flue, should be room sealed.

quite common in the day . many caravans had them and it wasn't unusual for them to be unflued [is that a word ?] manufacturers advised opening a nearby window or roof hatch when using . flues were considered ''extras'' and were sold separately . to be fair , they were never expected to be alight for longer than a shower or a bit of washing up . different by today's standards of course . if i was fitting one for myself , i'd use some sort of flue , and i'm no H&S follower

If you can post the picture it would help to identify, my favourite water heater was a Palermo but it did have a roof vent, instant hot water just when needed

In my parents first touring van (mid 60s) if we were cold there were two choices. 1. Put on an extra jumper, or 2. which we often did in conjunction with 1. was to light a ring on the hob.

We also had gas lighting, and it was standard practice for us to go outside last thing at night, turn the gas bottle off and dash back inside and try to get into bed before the light burned the gas in the line.

Health and safety in practice.!

Davy

Thanks everyone for your response,it was on a 2007 that is being advertised in the local rag but because of lockdown a two hour journey each way means I can’t view at the moment. Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for your response,it was on a 2007 that is being advertised in the local rag but because of lockdown a two hour journey each way means I can’t view at the moment. Thanks again.

I would imagine that by 2007 they would have to be flued but I could be wrong.

i loved our gas lighting, you had to be ingenious enough to make the wrong mantles fit , and know how to cut the bottom off a jam jar to make a new shade
Ah, yes, Gas mantles that would break when you went over a bumpy road. Used to spray with hair spray to reinforce them - gave off an interesting aroma when lit next evening...

in domestic gas regs up to 7 kw the fumes are judged to be dispersed by ( advantageous ventilation ) that’s what they call a draught in the text books, in a small closed space as sealed as a caravan or motorhome i wouldn’t want to rely on that !

Flueless water heater it is deemed to not need a flue because it would never run for Long enough to cause any problems with carbon monoxide still wouldn’t be my fist choice and I am a gas engineer probably an old Rinnai heater

Last edited:
instantaneous gas water heaters make economic sense in that they don't just keep heating a large amount of water in case it's needed , but they only seem to save as much time as it takes for a kettle to boil , and generally speaking ,i'm not usually in that much of a hurry when on my hols . so a kettle for me too

instantaneous gas water heaters make economic sense in that they don't just keep heating a large amount of water in case it's needed , but they only seem to save as much time as it takes for a kettle to boil , and generally speaking ,i'm not usually in that much of a hurry when on my hols . so a kettle for me too

I have a small woodgas stove (or 2!) I would be tempted when wilding to light that outside the van and stick my 7.5 lire Kirtley kettle on it. That would give plenty of water for a shower from a 12v pump.

Julie of course is not too keen on that idea.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back