Gas usage over one night away.

GWAYGWAY

We went off for a trip to Stratford area from Dover, we found a place to park, had a meal then we went to bed I pulled the bed down and it was very cold in the space VERY COLD. There was ice on the roof and my onesie was frozen to the roof and was like velcro to pull off the roof lining. The rest of the van was 20 degrees inside. I actually slept in the rear instead of the drop-down bed. I did leave the heating on all night at 20.
The next day I was at home and went to turn off my cylinder and found it empty, so today I went to the garage and filled it up which took 19.75 litres????????
It was full when I left home and the only things using gas were the gas ring, the fridge and the Truma Heater. I know it was cold at -2 , but that is a hell of a lot of gas to use in one night away. Does anybody know the consumption of gas the Truma is meant to use??????? There are no leaks so where did it go?

If it is a Truma 6e combo then between 160 to 460 grams per hour.

100 grams of lpg appears to be 0.2 litres

But at full use of 460 grams per hour (nearly 1 litre) 24 hours might see your bottle emptied. A few other variable probably need to be factored into the equation.

Davy

course if the outside temp dropped during the nite that heater could have been struggling to keep that 20°

The most I've ever used in a day is about 7 litres of gas. That was in extreme cold with the heating on at a normal temperature during the day but turned onto its lowest setting overnight.

These are the figures I use to estimate gas use in the UK.

lpguse.jpg

Depends on the type of heating, that big Hymer Charlie had he didn’t get a full weekend from a 13Kg propane in winter

We are full time in a 6 meter Hymer T574 C class with Truma C6002 blown air heater and our gas bill is around £3.00/£3.50 per day in the winter months (I pay 0.75p/litre) and I have my heating on 24/7, we cook and use the the three way fridge on gas 24/7 so the amount you used does seem excessive :unsure:

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
6m RT Pegaso. Just done a month round Scotland, it’s been rather cool but averaged about 3L gas per day for heating, fridge and cooking. 17C daytime, 9C at night.

I think the double floor makes a big difference I put our heating on high get it to a nice temp and can turn it off it seems to be good at retaining the heat must be really well insulated because of the floor. Glass seems to be the biggest heat loss In any van. I’ve had two bottles last us 6 7 weeks but I’m a fair weather camper.

We went off for a trip to Stratford area from Dover, we found a place to park, had a meal then we went to bed I pulled the bed down and it was very cold in the space VERY COLD. There was ice on the roof and my onesie was frozen to the roof and was like velcro to pull off the roof lining. The rest of the van was 20 degrees inside. I actually slept in the rear instead of the drop-down bed. I did leave the heating on all night at 20.
The next day I was at home and went to turn off my cylinder and found it empty, so today I went to the garage and filled it up which took 19.75 litres????????
It was full when I left home and the only things using gas were the gas ring, the fridge and the Truma Heater. I know it was cold at -2 , but that is a hell of a lot of gas to use in one night away. Does anybody know the consumption of gas the Truma is meant to use??????? There are no leaks so where did it go?
You started off with a near MT cyl?
May be like me you have had a tiny leak over a long period, in my case in the sealed to van cyl cupboard, so went unoticed. Yes, we seemed to use a lot of gas, but the cyl was not turned off whilst parked at home. A tiny leak at the Truma regulator connection was the culprit.
20°c? pretty high setting for overnight in - 6°c say, so boiler would be running. constantly. Truma stats at the Truma website i think.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back