Gas supply

• Thread starter messenger 2.5td
  • Start date

messenger 2.5td

Am i right in thinking you should turn off your gas at the regulator when travelling?:confused:Had the same conversation with a mate at work he said he never bothers,Andy.

i never have mine connected as a matter of safety i connect up when i get where ever iam going .did same with caravan .

Our gas appliances have two methods of turning on, push and turn or push and hold down and wait for flame heat to disable the "gas out" fail safes, so I feel reasonably comfortable about not turning off whilst travelling.

I usually turn off at the end of a trip or if the vehicle is going to be parked without use for a long time.

Thanks, I forgot to turn mine off last Christmas! :eek: :eek: :eek: Ive just been out to check it and it's still full. OK. :rolleyes: We go out in it every day as well. :confused: we haven't been able to go away this year because of hospitals, doctors, clinics, mother etc. :eek: We decided to call a halt to it all and would not let them book us up for anything for six weeks after the bank hols. :D We are going AWAY, yipee! :D :D JIM

for your safety the recomended safety precaution is before driving
the gas should always be turned off at the bottle or gas tank valve
this should be on a notice near your tank or in your habdbook
in the event of an accident the gas that could leak from any pipe could cause an explosion and may be your death
i know it is a pain to do this every time you may stop/start but your van is expensive to replace as i dowt if the insurance would be valid if you leave the gas on whilst traveling

Thanks for all the replys,sounds better to err on the side of caution rather than take chances.Usually do turn off at the regulator but have forgotten on occasion:eek:,Andy.

big bang !

i never turn mine off ! especially on ferries when you want the fridge to run ! its just another case of closing all the doors after the horse has bolted. gas is heavier than air and vents to atmosphere so a big bang is unlikely, there is far more risk driving the beast on our "wonderfull" road system with all the boy racers and their ilk ! live dangerously, carpe diem.

i never turn mine off ! especially on ferries when you want the fridge to run ! its just another case of closing all the doors after the horse has bolted. gas is heavier than air and vents to atmosphere so a big bang is unlikely, there is far more risk driving the beast on our "wonderfull" road system with all the boy racers and their ilk ! live dangerously, carpe diem.
the ferries and eurotunnel ask you turn your gas off.
as for whilst driving you can't and don't need to use the gas if you have it disconnected it makes it a lot easier to remove in an emergency i would have thought

if you happend to leave the fridge on gas whilst driving
and it blew out you cant rely on the flame failier device to cut off the suply
so a big bang you may have

gas is heavier than air and vents to atmosphere

Trouble is when "atmosphere" is the closed in vehicle deck on a large ferry, the last thing they want is gas collecting in the low points.

When driving the gas should always be turned off at the bottle or gas tank valve. In Germany and France this could result in heavy penalties by the police. And when you have an accident the insurance will not cover you !:eek:

I cant believe people would be so stupid to drive with the gas supply turned on, and leaving it on when on a ferry is even more stupid, not to mention blatantly disregarding ferry safety rules, which are in place for the safety of everyone on board.
Even a small amount of gas can cause an explosion in a confined space. A driver with a haulage company i used to work for, changed the empty gas cannister on his camping stove not realising that small piercable gas cannisters even when deemed empty will still have a bit of gas in them. He threw the empty cannister down in the passenger footwell and connected a new one. When he lit the stove some minutes later the resulting explosion blew the windows out of the cab. The driver was lucky not to get severe burns.
Camping stoves were subsequently banned in all our trucks after.

Last edited:
naughty me !

i consider my wrist severely slapped and promise to change my ways !!!!!!!

Cipros enquiry.

my little home is a 2 year old auto trail scout, it has a rear lounge,full size shower etc.,a four seater dining table and a double bed above the driving seats. the rear lounge and dining area can also be converted to beds. plus oven (gas and electric) and sink area above dometic fridge/freezer. so i can cook a meal, eat it, and leave the washing up until the morning,(I'm just a bloke after all !) on the move in the spring and autumn and overwintering in spain, though after consulting www.magbaztravels.com i might be going to greece ! on the rear of the van i have the phrase "carpe diem" displayed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back