Gas on the Shetland Islands

PaulS

Hi all,
We have a trip planned to the Shetlands for later in the year, just wondered if anybody could shed some light on the gas situation there.

Currently have a Gasit system, but with the gradual decline of LPG pumps looking to reconvert back to bottled gas.

Thanks in anticipation
Paul

"MY LPG" shows no LPG outlets on the islands.

I suggest that you calculate how much gas you will need, which will depend on
how long the trip is
what month you travel
what you use gas for.
Comparing the gas needed to your gas capacity will tell you if you have an issue.

You may wish to consider moving to one Gasit and one Calor as a solution.
Converting to all refillable will, of course, increase running costs and may be problematic in EU.

I, and many others, have one refillable (Gaslow) and one exchange (Calor).

1 x 11kg gaslow and a 6kg Calor backup has worked for years for me. Europe. No need for the calor ever. Easy to top up. Scottish islands or other remote areas, I'll run the Gaslow until it's maybe three quarters empty then swap to calor, swap back when that's empty and until I can find another Calor then swap again. Never run out of gas that way.

"MY LPG" shows no LPG outlets on the islands.

I suggest that you calculate how much gas you will need, which will depend on
how long the trip is
what month you travel
what you use gas for.
Comparing the gas needed to your gas capacity will tell you if you have an issue.

You may wish to consider moving to one Gasit and one Calor as a solution.
Converting to all refillable will, of course, increase running costs and may be problematic in EU.

I, and many others, have one refillable (Gaslow) and one exchange (Calor).
Thank you.

I also use MyLPG as well as Autogass apps, but you never know if they are up to date.

You suggestion of splitting and having a single calor as well as the Gasit system is the one I will be going for.

Happy travels
Paul

1 x 11kg gaslow and a 6kg Calor backup has worked for years for me. Europe. No need for the calor ever. Easy to top up. Scottish islands or other remote areas, I'll run the Gaslow until it's maybe three quarters empty then swap to calor, swap back when that's empty and until I can find another Calor then swap again. Never run out of gas that way.
Thank you.

Sounds a sensible approach. I will be looking at doing something similar.

Happy Travels

Calor is available all over the northern and western isles, so the suggestion to go on a split system is sound. The local Co-op shops usually do Calor.

Cheers

H

Calor is available all over the northern and western isles, so the suggestion to go on a split system is sound. The local Co-op shops usually do Calor.

Cheers

H
That's reassurinmg.

Thank you

Thank you.

I also use MyLPG as well as Autogass apps, but you never know if they are up to date.

You suggestion of splitting and having a single calor as well as the Gasit system is the one I will be going for.

Happy travels
Paul

You will probably need a second pigtail.

Sometimes the good old days really were the good old days. :D

How many mantles do you use on average?
You have lights? Posh eh?

I must admit I never really got the hang of lighting them. Often took 2 or 3 mantles before one was doing the job.

But once there were lit

I loved leaving them on and going for a pint on a crisp Autumnal night.
Coming back into a van that was just a tad warmer than the outside was brilliant.

Me and my imagination! :rolleyes: 😁

Lamplighter-1.jpg

Back