Gas It Fault !

Of course it's a known problem as any valve can fail . The prv is the next line of safety.

please think about how you start a reply and consider if you being condescending to the author of a comment .

A safety valve letting off gas isnt a fault , its a valuable safety function on refillable gas bottles. However the weight difference stated is a concern and of course would be to anyone reading this post, hence the reason for wanting to know if there was a genuine fault. Im glad Gas it seemed to of clarified the situation as they did when I had a similar problem a few years ago.

James

It's the only way to deal with a leaking or venting cylinder and yet strangely you are not supposed to purge even small amounts of lpg to air it's supposed to be through a lit burner .
The refillable cylinders originally had a 10 year date on them that changed to 15 years but has now gone back to 10years but the PRV manufacturers recommend replacing it at 10 years !

What is the life span of a GAS IT refillable bottle?

Gas it going off legislation quoted above, it says you legally need to have them checked at 10 years and then they are good for another 10.

What I found interesting is the GAS It response in respect of the stiff valve was the overfill was in effect causing the mechanism to freeze, my hunch was down to overpressure creating resistance but their explanation makes sense.

The opso /PRV I stated doing its job. Vapour pressure @ 15 C is 7 bar ASL so these temperatures we are experiencing it comes as no surprise the PRV triggering

As Charlie intimates on the other thread it could be atmospherics causing the OP problems

Channa

Good luck with finding anyone that will actually test refillable gas cylinders as all the motorhome forums are full of people asking where ?
The suppliers don't tell you either
The prv is supposed to be replaced according to the manufacturers at 10 years .
Cylinders for Gases

A valid point and for clarity only applies to folk who have their own refillables P|R|V regulations in respect of Calor and Flogas people needent concern themselves with the manufacturers deal with it themselves ....it does raise the question and serviceability though of buying used refillables ? It also raises questions on fixed underslung tanks as far as I can tell and happy to be corrected the rules are identical

The conclusion refillable whatever they are in reality have a shelf life of 10 years I too don't know any one that can re test and not just a case of testing,,,,OFN needs to be used for safety and also "blots " the existing bottles of residues .,so replacement is possibly the correct answer re the legalities

Channa

It's a fault in my book if the PRV is releasing gas then something is badly wrong, imagine you are parked next to other campers who happen to be having a campfire or BBQ ?
Possibly liquid lpg being released at 27 Bar :scared:
That's only 900 times the normal Gas pressure :scared:
You certainly wouldn't not worry in a domestic situation but for some reason it is fine with the diyers in motorhomes and caravans.
Having worked in the gas trade even the smell of gas is classed as an immediately dangerous situation which you are required by law to notify to the suppliers.
Yes the valve is to prevent the cylinder from exploding by releasing pressure at around 27 Bar but if I was parked anywhere near someone's van that was actually doing this :scared::scared:
As many have said before blindly relying on a valve isn't always the safest way possible, but it may be easier than emptying each cylinder and then adding a known quantity :scared:

Clearly you dont get it. My original point.

We used to use Lloyds British at the quarry for any pressure vessels Charlie, do they no longer do it or is it just prohibitive costs? We had to have all pressure cylinders tested and stamped at intervals, can't remember what that was though now, if we didn't then insurance wouldn't renew. I know its a different situation as it was a business but could it backfire on individuals?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back