Gas burners not burning properly

jennyp19

When we try and turn burners down low, they burn properly for a while and then sort of pop and carry on burning with a more yellow flame. Any suggestions what’s wrong - when fitter stripped it down a couple of weeks ago said it was just mucky underneath - I think it’s more than that - any ideas folks - so I can go back and tell the dealer how to do their job again. We had gas bottle pressure checked before we went back to dealer last time, just to make sure that they weren’t the problem - they are fine.

When we try and turn burners down low, they burn properly for a while and then sort of pop and carry on burning with a more yellow flame. Any suggestions what’s wrong - when fitter stripped it down a couple of weeks ago said it was just mucky underneath - I think it’s more than that - any ideas folks - so I can go back and tell the dealer how to do their job again. We had gas bottle pressure checked before we went back to dealer last time, just to make sure that they weren’t the problem - they are fine.

Yellow sounds like incorrect combustion and possibly carbon monoxide, flame should be blue or blue tips.

Soot on the bottom of the saucepans ?

:idea::idea::idea:

Channa where are you ?

Checking pressure is ok if you've the equipment to do it probably easier to try another regulator that you know is working ok. Or maybe still some dirt come thru to jets if it's been disturbed recently

Are you running on autogas?

If so, have you fitted inline filters, to remove the additives that are put in to aid engine efficiency and make the gas smell . They could be foiling your burner jets.

Filters should be emptied,from time to time... Carefully, the residue really stinks, if you spill on the garage floor..

The op said the dealers had looked at it but then again you are probably right that they wouldn't have the correct equipment or anyone even trained how to test gas systems anyway.

I read what the op said and realised that they where not likely to check pressure themselves so wouldn't have suggested it as they had mentioned returning to dealer but may have had a go at trying another regulator

I guessed there’d be a CO issue. Unfortunately we are down in Spain. And I’ll be darned if we’re cutting this holiday short. We’ll just have to have all windows and doors open while cooking or maybe just eat out lol ( or salads). I called at Auto2000 when we were up near Thirsk and they checked bottles and gas pressure from them etc. I only called in there because I expected dealer to blame gas bottles.
No soot at bottom of saucepans but as soon as flame goes funny I tend to use another burner or turn it back up and use a diffuser. It’s the kettle that gets used most but burner is full belt then so no soot on that. I’ve just sent the dealer an email telling them burners still aren’t right - started this is a notification etc and telling them we won’t be back while December. Just to make sure they know I’m not happy again and letting them know we’ll be back - they are off the hook yet!! MH is a year old in January so I expect them to try and wriggle.

On the bright side we have no longer got a leaking window as they eventually managed, on 3rd attempt, to get the correct size one fitted.

Last edited:
Are you running on autogas?

If so, have you fitted inline filters, to remove the additives that are put in to aid engine efficiency and make the gas smell . They could be foiling your burner jets.

Filters should be emptied,from time to time... Carefully, the residue really stinks, if you spill on the garage floor..

Now that’s interesting - never heard of that one so no idea about it - but yes it’s refillable system. Haven’t a clue if there is an online filter and no idea where to look - agggh another way for dealers to wriggle out but they did install the system so At a rough guess there won’t be one!!!

I guessed there’d be a CO issue. Unfortunately we are down in Spain. And I’ll be darned if we’re cutting this holiday short. We’ll just have to have all windows and doors open while cooking or maybe just eat out lol ( or salads). I called at Auto2000 when we were up near Thirsk and they checked bottles and gas pressure from them etc. I only called in there because I expected dealer to blame gas bottles.
No soot at bottom of saucepans but as soon as flame goes funny I tend to use another burner or turn it back up and use a diffuser. It’s the kettle that gets used most but burner is full belt then so no soot on that. I’ve just sent the dealer an email telling them burners still aren’t right - started this is a notification etc and telling them we won’t be back while December. Just to make sure they know I’m not happy again and letting them know we’ll be back - they are off the hook yet!! MH is a year old in January so I expect them to try and wriggle.

On the bright side we have no longer got a leaking window as they eventually managed, on 3rd attempt, to get the correct size one fitted.

I agree with Charlie ( he is a gas engineer too ) it sounds like a pressure issue or partially blocked jet in my opinion , first to check is pressure as Charlie describes...some appliances have primary and secondary jets but a hob wont ...I would expect even at low pressure unless really low the flame to burn blue. plenty of oxygen for it to burn etc which would then point towards a jet is it on all the hobs ? if on all of them points towards pressiure issue

Channa

Now that’s interesting - never heard of that one so no idea about it - but yes it’s refillable system. Haven’t a clue if there is an online filter and no idea where to look - agggh another way for dealers to wriggle out but they did install the system so At a rough guess there won’t be one!!!

No idea what regulator you have, but the truma secumotions are reknowned for it and a filter is not standard.

Channa

Thanks for all replies - my gut instinct tells me it’s a pressure issue - I don’t know a great deal about gas stuff - but I will by the time I go back to the dealers. !!!!!! The guy who checked it at MH dealers is supposed to be a b gas fitter. I had said a couple of months after we first got the MH that I thought there was something wrong as the oven wouldn’t stay lit - they took it in and said they couldn’t find anything wrong - must have done something to it as it stays lit all the time now albeit with an uneven flame. All else fails we’ll pay one of you guys to check it out and send then the b bill.

Thanks for all replies - my gut instinct tells me it’s a pressure issue - I don’t know a great deal about gas stuff - but I will by the time I go back to the dealers. !!!!!! The guy who checked it at MH dealers is supposed to be a b gas fitter. I had said a couple of months after we first got the MH that I thought there was something wrong as the oven wouldn’t stay lit - they took it in and said they couldn’t find anything wrong - must have done something to it as it stays lit all the time now albeit with an uneven flame. All else fails we’ll pay one of you guys to check it out and send then the b bill.
I am sure I could rustle an invoice :D incidentally they will go white when you tell em you have flown someone out to Spain for the weekend :banana:

Now there an idea lol

Channa

As a temporary solution you could buy one of these they run off a aerosol can type supply price here is around £10 to £15 they are very good we've got one as a spare. Don't use any over size pans
Image2.JPG

I am sure I could rustle an invoice :D incidentally they will go white when you tell em you have flown someone out to Spain for the weekend :banana:

Now there an idea lol

Channa

😀
Now that’s an idea but I don’t think they’ll wear it.

What matters is the gas/air mixture.

The gas flame should have no yellow. Any yellow means there is too little air (or too much gas)

If the flame roars and there is a gap between the burner and the flame, there is too much air (or not enough gas)

Knowing that is only the first step. Butane is "stronger" than propane, so in the Old Days the pressures fore either were different, allowing appliances to usethe same settings for either gas. Nowadays devices are meant to cope with either gas at the same pressure, so inevitably compromises are needed.

Start by cleaning the burners and the air holes if it is running yellow, or cleaning the jets if it is roaring.

Then the next step is the check the pressure. Not easy! But you can check to see whether the heating, water heater, fridge or any other gas appliances are happy or not: that may give a clue as tho whether there is a pressure problem

Sorry the first thing you do before playing with jets is a pressure test, two reasons it will identify a regulator issue, and not least you know what works and what doesn't with a full check, you then test again after repair always a chance of another appliance faulty or a joint being disturbed. Standard practice, anything other is cutting corners,

As for a manometer reasonably easy to make using a rule and clear tube...but unless you know what are permissible pressure drops pointless for most people.

What do you mean by butane is stronger ?

Channa

]gas fillers are fitted between the bottle and regulator for further info check out gass filter on Gasit website .:pc:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back