Garmin Problem – Cannot Choose a Destination by Entering Its Name Using Keyboard

Dowel

Sorry to bother forum members again but I know that you have, collectively, lots of SatNav and Data via mobile phones knowledge. I am asking for advice about my Nuvi 58LMT in this post and will ask about the Data via mobile in a second post. The two questions are connected.

Last September I updated my Nuvi. It took two attempts each taking a long time. So long that I had to leave it downloading overnight. On the second morning I saw this “updates complete” window:
Map Update 23.09.2019 approx 8hrs.JPG
I believe I tried the device then but cannot be completely sure that I did. If I had tried it and found it not working I would have done something about that then!
Recently I did try to use it but found that when trying to enter a destination address I could not enter any names of UK locations. If, for example, I try to enter “Warwick” it reports “No Matches”. I click to go back and the nuvi offers me the options to “Spell Town” again or “Change Country”
If I choose to select a country I can not select the necessary letters, they are dimmed out. So no UK or GB or E for England.

I know the maps are present and viable as the nuvi locates my home in Warwickshire correctly on the map and if I select a destination on the map it then calculates a route which I can see and follow on the map on the nuvi screen. I tested this twice with routes to Glasgow and across the channel to Valenciennes, both were new destinations not previously navigated to and both plotted successfully. It also finds and navigates to Wild Camping POIs stored on my SD card.

I emailed Garmin Europe who replied:
It is likely that there was not enough space on the device during the last map update so it has installed half of the maps,
You would need to get an SD card, 16gb to 32gb will be fine. then please reinstall the maps as below
Reinstall or Change Map on an Automotive Device
This should reinstall everything.

I have replied to Garmin confirming that I had and still have enough memory and hope to hear from them soon.

The nuvi internal memory has 3GB free space and I already have a 32 GB SD card installed with nearly 29GB of free space remaining.

Garmin nuvi 58LMT - Memory 31.1.2020.jpg

The internal memory files include three dating from 2019 and 6 earlier files.

Garmin nuvi 58LMT - Internal Storage-Map.jpg

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Firstly is Garmin Express up to date, it should be Version 6.20.0.0

Secondly the Full Coverage of Europe should be 2020.30 as on my Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D and my Garmin Car Drive 51 LMT-S

Screenshot (52).png

Screenshot (50).png

Screenshot (51).png

The software versions vary depending on the model of sat nav you have.

Attachments

• Screenshot (49).png
    Screenshot (49).png
    168.7 KB · Views: 84
Does it have a factory reset? The danger with using it is that it might wipe all your saved data. Good luck with solving the problem.

I have had similar happen when uploading with a slow internet speed. It says it’s uploaded but isn’t. It’s happened and I’ve needed to retry several times before it has cooperated. I would then only update the unit, and update the computer later. This was with TalkTalk, what a truly hopeless company. Now I’m with Virgin and it’s plain sailing with very fast updates.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I have now, as of very early Sunday morning, updated the Nuvi successfully. I used a Windows 10 PC with current Microsoft software hoping that this would complete the task faster. It didn’t, the brake on downloading is definitely all due to the poor landline. I aborted the first attempt as it was running very slowly, less than the ISP’s stated minimum speed. The second attempt took just under 12 hours during which time I had to reconnect the router twice. Fortunately the Garmin software re-connected and carried on although the reported progress dropped back from 37.5% to 31.4% at the first re-connection.

@Wooie1958 , thanks for the trouble you went to posting your comments and screen shots.
My screen shot of the Map info dates back to Sept 2019 and I assume they were the latest downloadable on that date as the files in the internal memory say created 19/05/2019.
My Garmin Express software (5.3.1.0) might not have been the latest but the Nuvi software (4.60) was
Now that it is running correctly Garmin Express is 6.20.0.0 and the Nuvi is still 4.60.

@cronkle , I can’t see any holes to poke with a paperclip but I think there is a factory reset option in one of the windows maybe in “Settings”? A good thought but didn't try that as concerned it would lose my earlier updates as you suggest!

@SimonM as you say Garmin misreported it as done although it was not. The 2019 .img file size looks about right, 2.18GB, when I compare it to the latest, 2.27GB. Maybe it was corrupted rather than “installed half of the maps” as Garmin support suggested.

Thanks again gentlemen, now to see what I can do about the slow line!

I forgot to include the download speed I was getting on Saturday afternoon - Sunday morning. The Garmin Express software does not give much detail only percentage progress and what must be an average of the download speed. The download speed displayed was for the most part 154 to 139 KB/s. When it showed 34KB/s but the progress % stopped moving I intervened by doing a manual "Quick Setup" of the router using another PC. Both are connected via ethernet.

My experience with this TP-Link router is that it may not reset itself after a dropout. It appears that the router cannot remember some vital part of the log on details, ISP name, Username or Password.

The download speed displayed was for the most part 154 to 139 KB/s. When it showed 34KB/s but the progress % stopped moving I intervened by doing a manual "Quick Setup" of the router using another PC. Both are connected via ethernet
And there's me getting annoyed with Three because my download speed has dropped to just 25MB/s.

And there's me getting annoyed with Three because my download speed has dropped to just 25MB/s.
"Eeee when I were lad I was lucky to get half that....and lived int hole in road"
In first week of December I was geting frequent drop outs, long pings and at times 70KB/s. Some connections just timed out.

Whatever, I have done a bit of “Exploring” in the Internal memory of my Garmin Nuvi. The total of visible items in memory is 2.83 GB but 6.61 GB of space has been used leaving only 553 MB of free space left.
In 2019 there was about 3.06 GB of free space left.

Not a problem, I believe, because I have a 32 GB SD card plugged in to the Nuvi. Currently only a tiny corner of the SD card is occupied by Wild Camping POI’s. However, I wonder how quickly these system files will expand in future updates.

I tried to see whether there were any hidden files via windows but despite choosing “show hidden folders” nothing was revealed. I knew that Linux would allow me to see hidden folders so mounted the Garmin internal memory location and the hidden 3875 MB “.System” folder was visible.

Linux view of Garmin Int Memory 2.jpg

The maps folder has grown from about 2.19 GB in 2019 to 2.27 GB in 2020 but the .System file appears to have grown much more, maybe by about 2.4 GB
Has anyone here an understanding of how updates work which would explain why .System has taken so much more space?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back