Garmin account to be deleted. Genuine??

RSD7a

I've just received the following email. I do have a Garmin sat nag. I haven't signed in to update my maps for well over a year or two. My question is: is this a phishing scam or genuine? Has anyone else ever received one of these? Here it is (all the nice formatting has not copied over)
_-------_----------------------------------------
Action Required: Your Account Will Be Deleted Soon
Sign in to Your Account
Garmin

YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IN 60 DAYS

It’s been a while since you’ve been active on your Garmin account. If you continue to be inactive, your account will be deleted in 60 days.

If you’d like to keep your account and data, sign in at Garmin.com/account and we won’t delete it.

SIGN IN

WHAT WILL BE DELETED?

If your account is deleted, you will lose data from all Garmin sites, systems and servers. This includes your Garmin Connect™ account and activities, Garmin Pilot™ logbook, inReach® tracks and waypoints, Navionics® markers and routes, email marketing preferences and more. Data cannot be restored after it is deleted.

LEARN MORE

RECENTLY USED GARMIN?

If you recently used a Garmin account but still received this email, it could be that we’re contacting you about a different account. Compare the email address on the account you’re actively using to confirm it matches xxxxxx@xxxxxx

SUPPORT

Still have questions? Visit support.garmin.com for helpful FAQs, videos and manuals as well as ways to reach our product support team.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Visit support.garmin.com for help with your product. For aviation products, visit aviationsupport.garmin.com.

Garmin respects your right to privacy and shares your concern about the security of any information you may submit. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

© Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. Garmin International, Inc., 12
00 E. 151st Street, Olathe, KS 66062

a) Google "Garmin Scam" to see if any one else has reported it.

b) If you don't want to keep the account do nothing.

c) If you want to keep the account contact Garmin via their web page NOT by using a link in the email.

After reading this I went and updated my details. Horrified to see I’ve had my Garmin for 11 years!

After reading this I went and updated my details. Horrified to see I’ve had my Garmin for 11 years!

I've still got a hand held (marine navigation) Garmin GPS which is the best part of 30 years old Bill.

I must dig it out and stick some batteries in it to see if it still works.

I have just bought a garmin with usa ( just used this) and africa maps installed (which I needed) it was a refurbished one and cheap.... this is in the blurb....

product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more
Edit...updates must be done on computer or laptop....which I don't have.... gerrrrr

I suspect it's genuine as I've just checked and my Garmin account has been deleted. That said, sign in via garmin.co.uk and not via any link in the email...

I have 3 Garmin devices and check for updates regular. In fact the Garmin Express thumbnail on the laptop tells me when they are available.

All 3 of them are bang up to date and the 2 sat navs have just had one of their large quarterly map updates.

Why would you spend decent money on a large branded devices then not use the FREE updates to keep them working perfectly ?

If you are suspicious then as GeoffL suggests log into your account separately and not by following a link in an email.

Why would you spend decent money on a large branded devices then not use the FREE updates to keep them working perfectly ?
  1. In my case, I have a hand-held GPS for which the updates were not free and, since I hadn't been geocaching since before the lurgy struck until last January, didn't notice that my account was about to expire; and
  2. Sometimes those free updates take away rather than give. Examples are features that were present on the device when brand new that subsequent updates remove. IOW, you need to read carefully what each update does and be sure that you want that before agreeing to the new T&Cs. In the case of some embedded car GPS units (for example) the update might add geofencing and geotiming, which can limit where and when you can actually use the vehicle.

I have 3 Garmin devices and check for updates regular. In fact the Garmin Express thumbnail on the laptop tells me when they are available.

All 3 of them are bang up to date and the 2 sat navs have just had one of their large quarterly map updates.

If you are suspicious then as GeoffL suggests log into your account separately and not by following a link in an email.
See post#7

I've just received the following email. I do have a Garmin sat nag. I haven't signed in to update my maps for well over a year or two. My question is: is this a phishing scam or genuine? Has anyone else ever received one of these? Here it is (all the nice formatting has not copied over)
_-------_----------------------------------------
Action Required: Your Account Will Be Deleted Soon
Sign in to Your Account
Garmin

YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED IN 60 DAYS

It’s been a while since you’ve been active on your Garmin account. If you continue to be inactive, your account will be deleted in 60 days.

If you’d like to keep your account and data, sign in at Garmin.com/account and we won’t delete it.

SIGN IN

WHAT WILL BE DELETED?

If your account is deleted, you will lose data from all Garmin sites, systems and servers. This includes your Garmin Connect™ account and activities, Garmin Pilot™ logbook, inReach® tracks and waypoints, Navionics® markers and routes, email marketing preferences and more. Data cannot be restored after it is deleted.

LEARN MORE

RECENTLY USED GARMIN?

If you recently used a Garmin account but still received this email, it could be that we’re contacting you about a different account. Compare the email address on the account you’re actively using to confirm it matches xxxxxx@xxxxxx

SUPPORT

Still have questions? Visit support.garmin.com for helpful FAQs, videos and manuals as well as ways to reach our product support team.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Visit support.garmin.com for help with your product. For aviation products, visit aviationsupport.garmin.com.

Garmin respects your right to privacy and shares your concern about the security of any information you may submit. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

© Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries. All rights reserved. Garmin International, Inc., 12
00 E. 151st Street, Olathe, KS 66062
Yes I got it as well, my Garmin was stolen from my car so haven't used it for years.

Back