Garmin 760LMT-D

iampatman

Hi all,

I found a thread regarding the above but seems to be mostly about the difficulty or otherwise of loading updates. I’m thinking of buying one when we get back to the UK so would appreciate any comments from anyone who has one. Had a Tom Tom truck for a few years and found it to be very conservative with route planning once I had entered the vehicle dimensions and wondered if the Garmin was a bit more realistic. Any comments appreciated, thanks in advance,

Pat

I've had 3 Garmins since 2004 and never had any cause for complaint when updating the maps it does take quite a time but this could be just internet speed although several have commented on this. But as for loading poi's never any problem and I've got aldi/lidil locations. French passion, Intermarche, camping car info and several others all loaded easily. You just need a Garmin poi loader program free from garmin

Would just add mine have just been run of the mill models no adding vehicle info

I've got that model pat, after always having Tomtoms. Took me a while to come round but I do like it. I've stopped running the two,together as having to choose between the different directions was stressing me out! Not sure which was right although I have noticed the Garmin seems to want to take me off the motorways sooner.

I've got that model pat, after always having Tomtoms. Took me a while to come round but I do like it. I've stopped running the two,together as having to choose between the different directions was stressing me out! Not sure which was right although I have noticed the Garmin seems to want to take me off the motorways sooner.

Thanks for that Carol, I prefer Garmin to TomTom and we used to run the two side by side also which was amusing at times to say the least. Got a Garmin Drive Smart 61 LMT-D at the moment which is ok and updates over WiFi has not been a problem so far. However it does want to take me down some bizarre roads occasionally despite my preference being no unpaved roads. I don’t mind unpaved roads but I’d rather it was my choice and not the Garmin’s.
I’ve got a while to think about it, not home till late June.

Pat

Re taking you down unpaved roads, and bearing in mind my not so recent "mishaps" ... while I was in Portugal, on the way to Fuzeta (a lovely little fishing village/town) my satnav sent me up a single track road. As I turned onto the road an old Portugese guy with a fruit stall started gesticulating wildly at me which I assumed was about trying to get me stop at his stall. Unfortunately not, as further up the road I came to a bridge which would certainly have decapitated my van! :scared:

I have the Garmin 760 and am satisfied with it. My only problem is that to update the maps is impossible with my mifi, I take it to my Daughters and use her fast broadband connection to update it. I only mention this as I think you may be fulltiming.

I`ve had the Garmin Camper 760 LMT-D for a few years now, it`s very good and i find it far superior to any / all the TomTom`s that i`ve had over the years.

Garmin UK Customer Services 0808 238 0000 are by far the best i`ve ever dealt with and nothing is too much trouble for them :dance:

You`ll need to download Garmin Express and Garmin POI Loader for Windows or Mac whichever you use.

Garmin Express takes care of all the map and software updates to the sat nav and Garmin POI Loader speaks for itself.

The BIG quarterly map updates are large so you need a decent Wi-Fi connection and as previously said it`s not happy doing it over a Mi-Fi connection :sad:

Garmin POI Loader is very easy to use and our POI`s load very quickly using the instructions found on here.

The 760 LMT-D has now been replaced by the 770 LMT-D and i`m hearing reports users are having some problems / difficulties with it.

I have no experience of the 770 LMT-D so cannot comment on that model yet.

The person I travelled with recently has the 770. It looks really swish and has loads of functions but she had lots of problems. Firstly she lost the rear camera facility, which she had to pay extra for. We think,it could be a fuse in the lead. Then she lost the satnav, again something to do with the lead which is really flimsy compared to the 760. She also had problems with it crashing. It certainly put me off upgrading!

Never go to sea with 2x (chonographs),chronometer take 1 or 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I found a thread regarding the above but seems to be mostly about the difficulty or otherwise of loading updates. I’m thinking of buying one when we get back to the UK so would appreciate any comments from anyone who has one. Had a Tom Tom truck for a few years and found it to be very conservative with route planning once I had entered the vehicle dimensions and wondered if the Garmin was a bit more realistic. Any comments appreciated, thanks in advance,

Pat

I've had a Garmin 760LMT-D for around 18 months, it is a splendid piece of kit.
However you must keep the maps updated to the latest release, else the 20 miles of cones and diversions that we all love so much (Esp France) will lead you astray.

My only complaints with Garmins is their update method and management interfaces need to use Microsoft Windows. I have to always have a Windows pc so that I can keep the SatNav updated. It's the only thing that I own that needs windows. I use Linux for everything else.
Means that every new laptop purchased needs to be re-engineered for dual-boot (Linux or Windows), not a big issue for the technically minded.

The second area of concern is the size of the updates. If you have the version that covers UK & All Europe, with free lifetime updates, these updates can be as large as 6GB. This is an issue for me as I only have mobile broadband which uses a usb dongle with simcard, along with a monthly ration of bandwidth.

Luckily, I have just signed up to a 100GB pm sim-only deal with 3 which eases the pain of limited bandwidth.

It is common that I get 75% way through a download and it freezes or crashes, Garmin does not resume a broken download, it always starts from square 1.

Trying to update via free WiFi is a dead loss. I usually try to cadge some bandwidth from friends and family who have cable broadband, which is faster and more reliable, but once on the road, I don't usually try to update.

hope this helps, james

previously known as WobblyJim

Ok, I know this isnt the same model, but the thing I dont like about my garmin 560 is it will prepare a route to a poi, and estimate an eta (usually wildly underestimated), then as you're trundling along following the instructions it will suddenly beep, to give a warning that it doesnt know the current road, so doesnt know if it is wide enough for your motorhome! Why the hell doesnt it tell you that when it does its calculations so you are able to reject the route?! :mad1:
Before anyone asks, yes the correct van dimensions have been input, and the correct vehicle icon is showing on the screen, so I hope the newer models have a better system. We've gone back to the tomtom, at least it doesnt take us down narrow roads and the eta is a lot more accurate.

lucky you saw it or that would be a new experience for you

It sure would, wouldn't it? Actually, I forgot to add in my recent post I had to go down a couple of underpasses in Matoa (or something like that) and it was soooooo horrible!

My only complaints with Garmins is their update method and management interfaces need to use Microsoft Windows. I have to always have a Windows pc so that I can keep the SatNav updated.

...........................................hope this helps, james

previously known as WobblyJim

I am assuming you can’t update the Garmin using your Linux pc, we have the same ( and another Garmin ) satnav and update it successfully with Mac OS X.
I also use Linux (Ubuntu) so it’s interesting to hear it won’t handle the Garmin updates.

Another thumbs up for the Garmin 760LMT-D. I would not be without mine I find it indespensible.

I also use it for work travelling around London, with the trafic avoidance it has saved me loads of time. Plus I can find pretty much any POI including all the brilliant WC spots.

Some of the routing can be a bit quirky, even on fastest route it will sometimes take you off the main road along a B road to cut out a longer section of the main road but never got stuck in my large motorhome.

9/10

Jenrai

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back