Funny thing about travel insurance for motorhomers

number14

The received wisdom about travel insurance is to buy as soon as you book and, for the average package holiday punter that's absolutely right. For most of us on here though all we book is a ferry. Now, we booked a ferry back in February, mainly to be sure of a dog friendly cabin, and bought a flexi ticket which, at the time, Brittany Ferries were offering at no extra cost. Absolute worst case scenario would be, if we cancel, we just lose our deposit.

About six weeks ago I obtained some insurance quotes which worked out around the £350 mark (we are old and have 'conditions'!) This was more than twice as much as the ferry deposit so really no point buying at that time. Our trip is now imminent so at the beginning of this week I obtained quotes again. The lowest this time was just over £100. I refreshed the quotes yesterday and they had all dropped again by another couple of pounds.

It seems that the possibility of paying out for cancellation looms large in the insurance companies' algorithms.

So, if you are a motorhomer, just hold on for as long as you can (for buying travel insurance that is - what did you think I meant?).

Spot on ,especially if you are not paying for campsites ,hire cars or other extras.

The received wisdom about travel insurance is to buy as soon as you book and, for the average package holiday punter that's absolutely right. For most of us on here though all we book is a ferry. Now, we booked a ferry back in February, mainly to be sure of a dog friendly cabin, and bought a flexi ticket which, at the time, Brittany Ferries were offering at no extra cost. Absolute worst case scenario would be, if we cancel, we just lose our deposit.

About six weeks ago I obtained some insurance quotes which worked out around the £350 mark (we are old and have 'conditions'!) This was more than twice as much as the ferry deposit so really no point buying at that time. Our trip is now imminent so at the beginning of this week I obtained quotes again. The lowest this time was just over £100. I refreshed the quotes yesterday and they had all dropped again by another couple of pounds.

It seems that the possibility of paying out for cancellation looms large in the insurance companies' algorithms.

So, if you are a motorhomer, just hold on for as long as you can (for buying travel insurance that is - what did you think I meant?).
We don't claim for flight cancellations , hotels screwing up etc .
Surely not too hard for an insurance company to concoct a policy that suits us ?

Back