Full Timer Waste Disposal In The Scottish Highlands and other problems

highscot

Well a full time motor-home lifestyle sounded like a good idea But not up in my part of Scotland Having great difficulty finding places so far (Non ) to dispose of toilet/gray waste Up here in the Highlands Brora area of Scotland Anybody else have that problem visiting this part of the world.

I was hoping to work and live around this area.

Public toilets looks like my best/only bet but far from ideal I did ask local Council and they said there were no emptying points around my area Sad state off affairs Considering the amount of campervan,s up in my area this year.

I think every 6th vehicle i passed on the road was a Campervan or Motorhome I am starting to go off my full timing dream :((( more and more problems and most likely a few other things i have not thought off Waste Disposal, Home Address for Road Tax Insurance and Post also Wifi and Mobile phone signals are far from good up here EE Patchy no 4g Free wifi practically non existent.Although in my hometown of Brora there is free public WiFi for anybody passing through.

Has anybody else come across any other problems Gas supplies etc Its only bottled gas around the Highland,s No Gaslow top up places at all.

PS i have not bought a van yet just looking into the possible problems And its looking like a non starter Sadly

Well a full time motor-home lifestyle sounded like a good idea But not up in my part of Scotland Having great difficulty finding places so far (Non ) to dispose of toilet/gray waste Up here in the Highlands Brora area of Scotland Anybody else have that problem visiting this part of the world.

I was hoping to work and live around this area.

Public toilets looks like my best/only bet but far from ideal I did ask local Council and they said there were no emptying points around my area Sad state off affairs Considering the amount of campervan,s up in my area this year.

I think every 6th vehicle i passed on the road was a Campervan or Motorhome I am starting to go off my full timing dream :((( more and more problems and most likely a few other things i have not thought off Waste Disposal, Home Address for Road Tax Insurance and Post also Wifi and Mobile phone signals are far from good up here EE Patchy no 4g Free wifi practically non existent.Although in my hometown of Brora there is free public WiFi for anybody passing through.

Has anybody else come across any other problems Gas supplies etc Its only bottled gas around the Highland,s No Gaslow top up places at all.

PS i have not bought a van yet just looking into the possible problems And its looking like a non starter Sadly

Grey waste is not a problem. Just empty into hedges out of sight. It will fertilise them and do no harm.

Toilet wast is a bit different. Public toilets are easy. You may wish to get a holdall that your cassette will fit in with a few wipes to clear up any mess. I have a pair of handles to lift sewage covers but be sure it is sewage. Failing that we carry a shovel so can bury in soft, well drained ground well away from any water. Never had to do that yet but I am sure the first time I don't take the shovel???

Richard

Something like this
2 Piece Manhole Cover Lifting KEY SET T Handle Drain LID Lifter Opener Tool NEW | eBay

Last edited:
Just an observation but if you are going to give up when you encounter what you see as problems so easily then full timing is probably not for you to be honest.
What you see as problems we see as part of the fun :)

It might have been kinder to suggest that he join the Camping and Caravan Club so that he can use their temp, weekend and small sites. Gain some experience, advise and be able to top up and empty his tanks.

Richard

As long as you don't use chemicals, I can't see a problem with using public toilets - it's not as if you're putting something unsuitable down there. It's no different to using it like everyone else does.

I do do the following:

• Empty at night or when no one is around.
  • Carry the cassette inside a bin liner.
  • Leave the toilet cleaner than it was before I used it.
  • Spray an air freshener just in case someone follows me in.

As others have mentioned join / use the C&CC motorhome stopover facility, £7.00 ish. You can use all their facilities including showers.
I have also called into 3 small sites this year and offered to pay to dump waste and fill up. 2 refused payment and I paid £5.00 at the third.

As long as you don't use chemicals, I can't see a problem with using public toilets - it's not as if you're putting something unsuitable down there. It's no different to using it like everyone else does.

I do do the following:

• Empty at night or when no one is around.
  • Carry the cassette inside a bin liner.
  • Leave the toilet cleaner than it was before I used it.
  • Spray an air freshener just in case someone follows me in.

Personally I don't use chemicals but what is the harm in emptying into a public toilet when you do. No worse than putting bleach down it.

Richard

It kills the bacteria in septic tanks etc which are common in small rural communities.

Fish keepers understand the problem well too.

I said "public toilets" which are very well flushed into main sewers. How many of the locals will use bleach?

Richard

many public toilets arent into main sewers . lots around cornwall are into cess pits .

i used to have the job of emptying them . if chemicals were used alot in them we couldnt even take the load to a sewage works . we had other special places for chemical toilet wastes .
many a main sewage station in cornwall gets spoilt during the summer by chemical toilets being dropped into the wrong places .
many a campsite has had problems . they have chemical toilet dumps but folk ignore the signs and tip down the toilet .
even the so called green chemical is a problem.
must happen in other places . i know devon gets trouble .

Oooooooooh I do like a good waste thread,
Grey waste...easy, just let it run out onto the road or carpark easy peasy......
Black waste... Easy, just walk into the woods dig a hole and bury it, or if your a dirty lazy ignoramus just pour it out in the bushes of the nearest lay-by.................

Just a chuckle, those of you that know me knows that's just not me....
There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum as to disposing of grey and black waste, use your common sense, poi's for water etc would love to full time in my MH and love hearing what the full timers on here do with their time and how they cope with problems and some of their stories are good too.

Oooooooooh I do like a good waste thread,
Grey waste...easy, just let it run out onto the road or carpark easy peasy......
Black waste... Easy, just walk into the woods dig a hole and bury it, or if your a dirty lazy ignoramus just pour it out in the bushes of the nearest lay-by.................

Just a chuckle, those of you that know me knows that's just not me....
There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum as to disposing of grey and black waste, use your common sense, poi's for water etc would love to full time in my MH and love hearing what the full timers on here do with their time and how they cope with problems and some of their stories are good too.

You're a little s**t stirrer:raofl::raofl::raofl:

having worked in the sewage industry i can talk s--t all day . can talk rubbish as well ,environmental waste is a great subject.
mind i did fresh water and milk tanker work as well . always washed the tankers after doing milk incase of contamination . ha ha .

many public toilets arent into main sewers . lots around cornwall are into cess pits .

i used to have the job of emptying them . if chemicals were used alot in them we couldnt even take the load to a sewage works . we had other special places for chemical toilet wastes .
many a main sewage station in cornwall gets spoilt during the summer by chemical toilets being dropped into the wrong places .
many a campsite has had problems . they have chemical toilet dumps but folk ignore the signs and tip down the toilet .
even the so called green chemical is a problem.
must happen in other places . i know devon gets trouble .

Are these the old cesspit's that leak into the surrounding ground as much by design as by accident or the modern sealed fermenting types.

Richard

many are just holding tanks . an alarm goes off if the are getting full . by telephone these days . loads all over devon and cornwall , so i,m sure they arent the only ones . no mains at many of the beaches or even inland . my house only went on mains 35 yr ago. still have a septic in the garden . a two chambered concrete block job . wish we were still using it really . save a few bob .
still lots houses and business,s with no mains . many dont have mains electric .
startermatic gennies rule in many places .
some are still using stationary engines etc .
mind we have got tv now in colour . ha ha .

Are these the old cesspit's that leak into the surrounding ground as much by design as by accident or the modern sealed fermenting types.

Richard

i know what you mean but a cesspit as no outlet and will require emptying .
a septic tank either chambered or the modern onion style should use bacteria and if working properly never need emptying .
chemicals kill the bacteria and stop them working . then its back to emptying . sometimes you can wash them out and put good sh-t in them and get good bacteria working again .
once spent most of a summer trying to restart a campsites sewage works like that. cost thousands to get it going again . glad i wasnt paying .
felt sorry for the campsite it was just caused by chemicals in the wrong dump.

It doesn't matter, they are both dependent on bacteria to eat **** 💩 .

Fancy a holiday relief jobby out in the sticks Dick?

I spend a lot of my working life involved in the flow of poo through people like you and the various blockages you get. Hope we never have to put a Real zip in you. :)

Richard

i know what you mean but a cesspit as no outlet and will require emptying .
a septic tank either chambered or the modern onion style should use bacteria and if working properly never need emptying .
chemicals kill the bacteria and stop them working . then its back to emptying . sometimes you can wash them out and put good sh-t in them and get good bacteria working again .
once spent most of a summer trying to restart a campsites sewage works like that. cost thousands to get it going again . glad i wasnt paying .
felt sorry for the campsite it was just caused by chemicals in the wrong dump.

Amazed that the public ones are not mains yet.

A friend had a brick one where the flow ran down a slope over then under baffles. Stopped anything floating through. Ended just before the local stream. Never been emptied officially but when the rainwater got a bit too much it leaked into the river. Never seemed to do any harm as it was stuffed full of trout.

Any way of telling if its a cesspit or mains?

Richard

at sea level and in quiet areas there is no mains sewage for miles .
mind there are pump stations in the busier areas.
its quite complicated really.
my choice would be block or brick two chamber . solids in the first chamber .holes for liquid to get into second chamber then if full water out the nearly top of second into a soak away. but the chambers have to be big . in the old days they did build them small . but these days big is better . a good working one just goes on and on working . special cleaners should be used . no dish washers or washing machines entering the septic . too much water can wash the bacteria away.

talking with the family that built this house in 1921 it seems it was never ever emptied the old dear just decided 35 years ago a grant was offered and other houses were being built next door etc mains sewage for the first time was being put in the village so she went for it .
i asked to be took off the mains but they wont do it . never mind .
i have many friends in cornwall that dont have mains water . bore holes etc are the thing .
mind cumbria and other places are the same .
i find it all interesting .
many truck drivers didnt want to work the sewage . i didnt mind . going on the fresh water was also interesting .
i was in gambia once and the world health people were there to help the gambians understand septic tanks . i actually did a talk and spent a week going round with them the villagers were great . we did build a septic in one village . i went back in my vw years later . was treated like a king . it was working and they thought it was great.

You would be amazed at how many properties are on either septic tanks,Cess pits. Or package treatment plants ,it is city and town folk that expect mains sewerage everywhere.
I have installed all of the different types and been in many to carry out work .
As for people thinking it is acceptable to carry and empty cassettes in either public toilets or supermarkets ,that is beyond me and am amazed people think it is ok.
It is the same with water we always try to ask permission as basically you are stealing it from someone,there are no public facilities for filling motorhomes in the UK as far as I am aware.
Cannot be doing with skulking about in the dark as the very act means you already know your behaviour is not acceptable to society in general.

Don't think that anyone suggested that you carry a bucket of sh*t through a supermarket to empty it.

Taking a dunk in the first place is something done behind closed doors so the empting of cassettes is done with a bit of decorum by most folk. Different from sculking around I think. Not sure how you think we are stealing water either.

I know many individual properties have tanks but I am surprised that public buildings are on them in large areas of this country. As I said before I don't use chemicals to reduce the risk to sewage systems and I just don't like using toxic chemicals if I don't have to but it would be nice to have some way of telling if its on a tank or not.

Richard

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back