Fridge

Has anyone fitted one of these kits, do you have to remove the fridge freezer, or can you fit it by removing the top vent.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200227-215311.png
    Screenshot_20200227-215311.png
    991.5 KB · Views: 103
The fridge does not need removing.

I suggest this is a good option, but my 'van being long long out of warranty I engineered my own solution using a couple of computer fans.

Same here, i made my own using 2 X 120mm computer fans and cable-tied them to the inside of the top vent blowing outwards.

By blowing the hot air outwards from the top vent it naturally draws in cooler air through the bottom vent assisting cooling the fridge freezer.

They are coupled to a simple on/off switch that i put in the kitchen area and very visible then they don`t get left turned on by accident or not needed.

That way we control when they are on and not reliant on a thermostat which is liable to go wrong, simple is best IMHO.

I searched long and hard for the quietest ones i could find because i`ve heard some very noisy ones on other motorhomes.

They really are super quiet and only way you can tell they are running apart from the switch is by putting your hand at the vent and feeling the hot air blowing out.

On several occasions like when we was at Château de Chambord we left them running all night without disturbing us in slightest.

The draw on the batteries is minuscule and something like 0.07ah if i remember correctly.

This is the model of computer fan i used ( other fans are available ).

Last edited:
I'll be glad when I can rip the 3 way out of our Moho and replace it with a compressor version....
Absorbtion type fridges really are old tech and a pfaff with it.
Obviously manufactures of motorhomes really are stuck in their old caravan ways (or just expect buyers to only want what they've always had)

I was amazed you can spend 100 grand on a motorhome and can’t keep ice cream in the freezer yet manufacturer says it’s okay lol Don’t think there was a spec for freezer but (or can’t remember) but the 7 degrees the fridge held was within spec lol

My motorhome is still under warranty, I'm wondering if my fridge freezer is faulty as it seems to get a lot colder running it on gas as opposed to 240volt electric. We are in Spain so day time temperatures are around the 22° mark here.

Mine is always colder on gas. I am told it is also cheaper to run on gas.

@Wooie1958 I am about to fit a wireless switch in circuit with the fans to increase scope for controlling them.

I already have a 12v timeswitch in the circuit.

I fitted computer fans, wired in series. Cheap (under a fiver for two) quiet, effective. But it shouldn't be needed. Newer models of the fridge have twice as big a top vent, though perhaps a fan wouldn't hurt even on them.
My fridge has a five-position temperature control, clearly labelled with a thermometer. The highest mark is, however, the coldest. Whoever designed that interface clearly has never used a thermometer! I wonder how many people are misdirected by this.
Anyone who says that gas fridges can't work well is just plain wrong. Mine manages to keep the freezer at -18°C in ambient temperatures of well over 30°C. And it's a "normal" one, not one designed for high temperature environments.
Unfortunately, so many fridges are very badly installed that they give gas a bad name

I fitted computer fans, wired in series. Cheap (under a fiver for two) quiet, effective. But it shouldn't be needed. Newer models of the fridge have twice as big a top vent, though perhaps a fan wouldn't hurt even on them.
My fridge has a five-position temperature control, clearly labelled with a thermometer. The highest mark is, however, the coldest. Whoever designed that interface clearly has never used a thermometer! I wonder how many people are misdirected by this.
Anyone who says that gas fridges can't work well is just plain wrong. Mine manages to keep the freezer at -18°C in ambient temperatures of well over 30°C. And it's a "normal" one, not one designed for high temperature environments.
Unfortunately, so many fridges are very badly installed that they give gas a bad name

Freezer seems fine, mine you we do only keep icecubes bags in the freezer for the drinks, what temperature is your fridge, can't do with luke warm lager and Cava. Not to worried about food, can buy that if and when needed, cheap enough anywhere in Spain. Lol

Freezer seems fine, mine you we do only keep icecubes bags in the freezer for the drinks, what temperature is your fridge, can't do with luke warm lager and Cava. Not to worried about food, can buy that if and when needed, cheap enough anywhere in Spain. Lol
Right now, the fridge is at 2.5°C but it's not exactly tropical outside!
The fridge part only ever struggles in adverse circumstances, such as somebody putting a 2L pop bottle in the door shelf: that is just small enough to let it look closed, just big enough to let the cold out and the warm in. Or if it's left in blazing sun for hours.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back