Fridge

Mobilvetta

My motorhome is still under warranty, I'm wondering if my fridge freezer is faulty as it seems to get a lot colder running it on gas as opposed to 240volt electric. We are in Spain so day time temperatures are around the 22° mark here.

Possibly simple solution when using leccy set the fridge to a lower temperature.
I have a thetford fridge and I have not noticed any difference, but I will take better notice now.

Check the fridge specifications.

It should give the heat input figures for all three power sources.

Generally speaking gas and mains are the same whilst 12 volts is usually lower.

That's why the fridge tends not to stay cold especially well whilst driving.

Adding fans is a good idea but may affect your warranty.

In that case I will keep my fridge freezer on gas, nothing worse than Luke warm wine and beer.

It depends on the ambient temperature. are you parked in the full sun ? Do you have the fridge vents on the shady side ? Do you have the prevailing winds blowing through the vents ? All these and many other circumstances will affect the cooling efficiency of the fridge
There are numerous forums on this subject.. Most of them started during July and August..
Have a look through some of them.

I’ve always found my fridge to be cooler on gas.

Same here, our is much cooler and by far more efficient on gas with 12v whilst driving coming second and mains is little better than useless.

I also have fans fitted which help immensely when the temperature rises and was particularly noticeable a couple of years back when it hit 37C o_O

We was at Château de Chambord, everyone was complaining that their fridge freezers were not working / thawing out :mad:

Ours was fine, nice and cool in the fridge and the freezer compartment contents stayed frozen (y)

It’s refreshing to read of a fridge performing well on gas , majority of threads complain of the fridges not cooling efficiently hence people using fans to dissipate the hear , in essence that’s what fridge does shifts heat from one place to another.

As Pauljenny correctly states there are many factors that can affect efficiency and it can be quite subtle

When I was gas testing in the south of France ,sometimes the manometer would rise like mad a sign the regulator could be letting by, often it wasn’t it was the cold gas expanding in the pipe work because the sun had come out...we used to let it stabilise a couple of minutes drop the pressure from opening a hob then re check for gas tightness .

We are also in Spain and the fridge freezer is working better on Gas with the fans dragging cool air through the vents

I don't have fans, but it seems to be ok on gas at the moment, I dread to think how much these fridge freezers cost
new, if they work more efficiently by having fans fitted you would think the manufacturer would fit them. Here was me thinking that the boating world quality control was bad, it seems new motorhomes are no better.

Yes I can't find anything on the fridge and have looked in the manual and can't see anything in the instructions, it is a Thetford N3000 series model B

Just seen this in the instructions.
15828180725387596934658616822840.jpg

Just seen this in the instructions.View attachment 77010
Most buyers of new vans probably stay in the UK, without any problems with temperatures above 25'C.
If I was buying a brand new van, I think I would stay close to the dealers, for at least the first year, ( joke )..
When they go abroad that's when they get a shock.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back