fridge on gas

beetle

:)hi - my elextrolux fridge is not always lighting on gas , i think the sparker box is giving up slowly , is this the same as the gas igniter as this is mentioned in warranty as covered . are electronic ignition the same thing ? anyone point me in the right direction .there is gas ok as i can smell it and sometimes a bang will occur if it does light eventually . works ok on 12 v on the move .
beetle

Hi Beetle,
I had this problem and cured it by removing the fridge from the van,on mine it was 2 screws then disconect the electric and then the gas. I then dusted off the burner with a soft brush, cleaned up the heat sensor probe and made sure that ther are no cobwebs in the flue. Re fitted the fridge and let it stand for 24 hours as for any fridge and I have had no trouble since.
Hope it helps,
Chris

:)hi - my elextrolux fridge is not always lighting on gas , i think the sparker box is giving up slowly , is this the same as the gas igniter as this is mentioned in warranty as covered . are electronic ignition the same thing ? anyone point me in the right direction .there is gas ok as i can smell it and sometimes a bang will occur if it does light eventually . works ok on 12 v on the move .
beetle

What van is it fitted in? I ask because on some newer ones have a removable vent on the outside wall to facilitate servicing the burner/flue.

Otherwise as "Mr B" said you will have to remove it and clean the burner and possibly the jet. 9 times out of 10 it is just a bit of debris on the burner, cobwebs or a bit of scale flaked of the flue and dropped down.

The heat probe (thermocouple) is probably OK. On the older manual ignition models If the thermocouple fail the fridge will light but go out when you take your finger off the gas button. Not sure on the later electronic ignition ones maybe someone can elaborate on that:confused:

A long shot is to put your vacuum cleaner on blow and bast air in from the outside vents. :)

It is so much easier for me, on American RV's they have removable vents to get at the back of the fridge:D

john

Last edited:
Hiya Beetle;), clean the burner as instructed already and whilst you,re there remove the gas inlet pipe from the burner assembly and you should find an injector between the two , check the tiny hole is not obstructed and clean it out with a thin piece of wire.
Remember to isolate the gas supply before commencing;)

thanks to all for help on fridge however i am not physically able to sort it out myself so when i need my next service i will pose the question . just thought it might be a warranty cover . my van is a 1993 a/s .
beetle

....... check the tiny hole is not obstructed and clean it out with a thin piece of wire.

Sorry, but this is not advised by Electrolux/Dometic. They suggest using a solvent to clean and never trying to push anything into the hole in the gas jet. The jet hole is laser cut through a small gemstone (ruby I think) and pushing anything into it can cause it to shatter or permanently block it.

I have a repair manual for Dometic fridges, send me a PM and I can email it to you.

Roger

Did a search for dometic fridge and came across yur posting indicating you had a repair manual for the fridge. Most grateful if you can email me a copy

Thanks in anticipation

Thanks Rodger I now have manual.

Will remove jet tomorrow and clean in some fluid but will not poke with wire

Thanks again

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back