Fridge not working

rockape

My daughter has a 3 way dometic fridge , works on hook up , but will not fire up on gas .
Gas is on and taps open , 14.4 v showing on controller and the ignition switch lights up and with the gas knob pushed down for about ten seconds , hear it sparking but no ignition , short of taking the fridge out ,whats the option and ideas please.

If the gas isn’t igniting at all, likely a blocked jet , sorrry outside grill off to double check

If it hasn't been used for a while it could just be dirt on the burner. You can get to it from the bottom vent outside. If you feel competent give it a blow through with air or ask a local caravan repairer to do it.

If it hasn't been used for a while it could just be dirt on the burner. You can get to it from the bottom vent outside. If you feel competent give it a blow through with air or ask a local caravan repairer to do it.
thank you for your reply, the outside vent is approx level with the top of fridge, there dont seem to be a bottom vent unless under the fridge in the floor . havent got under yet to check.

thank you for your reply, the outside vent is approx level with the top of fridge, there dont seem to be a bottom vent unless under the fridge in the floor . havent got under yet to check.
Strange most fridges have a double vent. If it's on the underside it won't help you get to the gas jet easily.

Can you smell gas? If ours isn't used for a while it takes an age to get to the fridge. We turn on and light the hobs which draws the gas through.

it's going to have to come out mate , but it might be an easy one if there's enough slack in the gas pipe and wiring ,and hopefully the gas connection is on the top . pulling it forward about 6-8 inches should b enough to get at it

Could also be
Faulty Gas valve in fridge but normally opens briefly but then no more gas
Faulty thermostat in burner flame
Faulty burner

How old is the vehicle..things wear out
Some pictures would help

Check gas works on cooker..could be faulty main regulator

We had the lot in 2018
Precise model of fridge would also help

Dummies Guide to Gas Motor Home Fridges
These are my notes on gas fridges. There are two parts an explanation of how they work and part 2 a troubleshooting guide.
I hope this helps.
There are many videos on Youtube which will help.

Part 1 - How they work

Two simplified descriptions of how a gas fridge works.

1a Description for techies.
They have an ignition button that makes a spark. When you press this there is a clicking which is the spark arcing to ground. Works like the ignition button on many gas hobs. The mechanism changes the low voltage is changed to a very high voltage which will make a spark just like the sparking plug in a petrol engine.
They also have a valve button that holds open the gas valve to the pilot light, you hold this in for 30-60 seconds when you light the fridge.
The Pilot light stays lit the whole time regardless of the need to cool the fridge. This is why you must not have the fridge on whilst at a fuel station.
The thermocouple is located so that it is heated by the pilot light. It the pilot light goes out the thermocouple goes cold. If the thermocouple is cold the control board will not open the valve to the main burner. This prevents the van filling with unlit gas.
When the fridge control board senses the fridge needs to make things cooler it opens the gas valve to the main burner. (provided the thermocouple says it is OK to do so).
Gas on the main burner is then ignited by the pilot light.

1b Description for non techies.
I t uses flames to make cold - it is magic..

Part 2 Trouble Shooting
2a Not clicking (sparking)- the problem is usually the electrical supply to the ignitor.
Some have a separate battery (usually button battery) some use hab 12v.
First job is to find out which yours is. See manual or google it. Or look for wires or a battery.
If it is a separate battery change it. Under £1.
If it is from hab battery check power is on at control panel and check all fuses.
Check the wire from the switch to the ignition point, it the wire is damaged you may seesparking along the length instead of at the ignitor or it have have detached at one end.

In an emergency you can light the pilot using a match, but it is a 2 person job.

2b Sparks but doesn’t ignite - it means no gas is getting to Pilot light or the Pilot Light is dirty.
Check you have gas and that all the valves and crash buttons are set correctly.
Check that the pilot is clean and not blocked..

2c Pilot Lights but goes out when you stop pressing the valve button - the thermocouple is to blame. It is either moved or broke.
Youtube is your best friend.

2d Pilot is burning but the main burner isn’t - you need to clean the main burner.
Lots of burner cleaning videos on Youtube.

2e Finally, don’t forget that most gas fridges insist on being level.

It sounds like a Hymer because they put the bottom vent under the fridge on the floor, if it is you can remove the rear bumper and there is a plate where the bottom vent would normally go, just six screws so it is easy to remove then you get access to the burner, I have some photos if I can find them

They just love hiding things in these MHs. The Laika had a pump behind a panel along with an expansion tank. The expansion tank had failed and was leaking. Not a lot just drip drip drip. Boy did it make a mess of the floor. SWMBO noticed it while I was parking in an Aire and asked why we had water coming out from underneath. You could never hear the pump as it was mounted on sponge and under a mattress.

What is the most power hungery thing in the van and does it start up?
Sometimes it just lack of power, so I start van then try! A bead battery is a dead battery.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back