Fridge not getting cold

Caz

Realised at New Year meet that my fridge isn't getting cold on gas anymore, although pilot light lit and chucking heat out the vent as normal. It still seems to be working OK on EHU, and the 12v whilst driving. I've enquired locally and am told it isn't worth repairing but they can fit me a new one. I didn't get a quote for a new one but they seem to be about £300 on Amazon, plus of course there would be a fitting charge.

Anyone any thoughts? What could be wrong (is gas a separate thermostat or something to leccy?) Is it worth repairing or can they just not be bothered?

if it gets cold on electric ,then it's working . so i must be one of the many things that g wrong on the gas sidec
rusty flakes on the burner from the exhaust
jet blockage
exhust pipe ful of soot or insects
not level enough
anyway worth fixing

Cleaning the burner isn't difficult bit fiddly Mine came good after a blast with a airline then a suck with a hoover. remove lower vent burner is usually hidden behind covers. if that don't work you can replace it.

I've enquired locally and am told it isn't worth repairing but they can fit me a new one.
I'll bet they'd love to fit a new fridge.

Their gain is your loss. They are trying to pull a fast one.

The gas burner and flue system needs an overhaul I'd suggest. If you're not confident to undertake this yourself, bearing in mind the potential hazards of working with gas, I'd advise getting a mobile motorhome/caravan repairer to sort it out.

You can find someone to help here:

If you tell us where you're located hopefully someone can provide a personal recommendation.

Realised at New Year meet that my fridge isn't getting cold on gas anymore, although pilot light lit and chucking heat out the vent as normal. It still seems to be working OK on EHU, and the 12v whilst driving. I've enquired locally and am told it isn't worth repairing but they can fit me a new one. I didn't get a quote for a new one but they seem to be about £300 on Amazon, plus of course there would be a fitting charge.

Anyone any thoughts? What could be wrong (is gas a separate thermostat or something to leccy?) Is it worth repairing or can they just not be bothered?
This issue crops up regularly and can usually be fixed very easily so shouldn't need a replacement fridge.
Some report corrosion in the gas pipe leading to debris in the jet, this is probably the worst case scenario WRT a DIY repair. Personally I've only ever found rust flakes falling down from the burner flu/pipe which fall onto the burner jet and partially blocks it. All I do is remove the fridge vent cover, remove the burner windshield which is just 1 Philips screw and apply Henry the hoover to the burner. Job done for another 12 months.

£1400
1705445589704.png

I'll bet they'd love to fit a new fridge.

Their gain is your loss. They are trying to pull a fast one.

The gas burner and flue system needs an overhaul I'd suggest. If you're not confident to undertake this yourself, bearing in mind the potential hazards of working with gas, I'd advise getting a mobile motorhome/caravan repairer to sort it out.

You can find someone to help here:

If you tell us where you're located hopefully someone can provide a personal recommendation.

Above is a very good reply and a first place to look.

If it’s working on electric 12v and mains then it’s your burner not getting hot enough at a guess. Take off bottom vent on the outside of the van and remove the tin cowl around the burner then fire it up and look to see if you have a good flame. I had trouble with mine, fine rust particles from inside the gas pipe blocking the jet.

A decent absorption fridge will set you back around £12-1400, plus fitting.
Listen to what you have been told Caz.
The posters on here are talking sense, don’t listen to anyone telling you you need a new fridge.
If your fridge works on leccy, and battery whilst driving, this means it’s working.

But the gas burner and flue eventually clog up with soot and insects, preventing heat from the gas flame heating up the coolant gas preventing it from circulating around your fridge. It’s recommended that the gas flue should be checked annually and cleaned out. If you have never had this done then this is what needs doing. Find out if there is a mobile engineer in your area, and request a servicing of your fridge, that’s all that’s required.
You don’t need a new fridge, what you need is a competent person to clean out your gas flue, and your fridge will work perfectly. As for a £300 absorption fridge, don’t touch it with a barge pole. Absorption fridges are roughly twice the price of a compressor fridge, and far more difficult to install.

Last edited:
I don't know what Leisure Battery capacity you have Caz or if you have Solar Panel support, but I personally would replace the 3 way with a compressor fridge.

Mine is brilliant (Vitrifrigo) and I have to be careful to set it so it doesn't freeze everything, even in Summer.

take off bottom vent on the outside of the van an remove the tin cowl around the burner then fire it up and look to see if you have a good flame. I had trouble with mine, fine rust particles from inside the gas pipe blocking the jet.
Flame should be Blue

You should look at a service for fridge. They are quite light when empty. Take pictures and post on here someone's pulled one out of a similar van.

Most fridges are fixed into the side so look in cupboards for fixings as there normally sandwich in. and plastic trim is screwed or just push on . mite take two hours but if it has to come out Gas pipe connection mite be 13mm x 2 spanners . Look underneath

There's a video for removals some where

Even if you buy newer fridge the old one has to come out = spares or repair it worth £ 50.00 so don't let the fitter walk off with it.
Put it on ebay and say they / winning bider has to remove it from van

Bambi needed it's fridge turned upside down to mix the gases or something. 20 years old it was . 1988 model Fridge. 12v and gas

You should look at a service for fridge. They are quite light when empty. Take pictures and post on here someone's pulled one out of a similar van.

Most fridges are fixed into the side so look in cupboards for fixings as there normally sandwich in. and plastic trim is screwed or just push on . mite take two hours but if it has to come out Gas pipe connection mite be 13mm x 2 spanners . Look underneath

There's a video for removals some where

Even if you buy newer fridge the old one has to come out = spares or repair it worth £ 50.00 so don't let the fitter walk off with it.
Certainly have value used. I sold my working but annoyingly problematical Thetford 3-way fridge/freezer for nearly £300. The buyer didn't actually care if it was operational - he just wanted the main body to swap for his contaminated identical one (word to the wise ... do not keep meat in a broken fridge for a few weeks!)

Put it on ebay and say they / winning bider has to remove it from van
You must be joking!! Given how easy it is to damage a motorhomes interior fittings, trusting someone to remove it when all they care about is the fridge itself is a recipe for a disaster!
When I took mine out, the gap between the fridge sides and the door opening was less than the thickness of a piece of paper (in fact, a label on the side of the fridge peeled itself off as we pushed it out the door it was that tight!). Add that to carefully manouvering around the jutting out bits of cupboard getting to from the 'fridge hole' to the door and so easy to damage something it not careful, you can't trust it to someone with no 'investment' in making sure no damage happens.

Certainly have value used. I sold my working but annoyingly problematical Thetford 3-way fridge/freezer for nearly £300. The buyer didn't actually care if it was operational - he just wanted the main body to swap for his contaminated identical one (word to the wise ... do not keep meat in a broken fridge for a few weeks!)

You must be joking!! Given how easy it is to damage a motorhomes interior fittings, trusting someone to remove it when all they care about is the fridge itself is a recipe for a disaster!
When I took mine out, the gap between the fridge sides and the door opening was less than the thickness of a piece of paper (in fact, a label on the side of the fridge peeled itself off as we pushed it out the door it was that tight!). Add that to carefully manouvering around the jutting out bits of cupboard getting to from the 'fridge hole' to the door and so easy to damage something it not careful, you can't trust it to someone with no 'investment' in making sure no damage happens.

Not all people but most can pull a fridge out . Sometimes damages occur. But most of time self interest people ie we help each other not close it down.

Your closer than me go and help our member dave. I'm in Somerset caz you can pop over . But put photo's up first hand and add on ebay you can cancel sale at anytime free of charge. Like dave said maybe £300. Towards replacement. So i still stand by :don't let them have the fridge for free

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: Caz

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back