Fridge cooling down what's your tip?

Buy abox of meats from the buffalo farm and it is delivered with refreezable blocks, put them in the fridge freshly home frozen and your fridge is almost instantly cawld.

I worked out that it was costing me quite a lot of money in gas to keep the fridge cool when sometimes it was just for one pack of bacon. I realised that in this situation, it was false economy and would be cheaper for me to just buy some refrigerated bacon every day. Also the fridge will only work well on the gas if I am level and often i'm not!

So, I now put the fridge on EHU two days before departure, then run it as a 12V which works only when my engine is running. I also put in frozen icepacks once I leave my house.

After about 2-3 days and all of the above, in the recent hot weather the fridge was getting too warm and the ice packs had long melted, so i went to Aldi and bought a bag of icecubes for 89p. Wrapped them in a binbag and placed them in my fridge - it worked well and kept it cool for a further 2 - 3 days. (Just beware water leakage from the bag!) lol
We put icecubes in a Tupperware box ( other makes available!) then no leakage issues. But generally can use EHU then add a frozen water bottle when setting off. Did hear something about adding rock salt to the water to lower temp further but that renders it undrinkable and a waste of space. We often found frozen water bottles in French supermarkets.

Not only that, but any leakage would be corrosive (which would eat the metal in the fridge when the fridge was off, between trips)
I'd not add salt. Not worth it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back