French mobile data sim deals info please

If you buy a sim from LeClerc Reglo Mobile it is preloaded with data. The charge for the sim is e.g. €20 which is €15 for the data and €5 for the sim. The data lasts for 28 days or until you use it all up which ever is first.

Then, if you so desire you can set up a direct debit to replenish the data each month at €15, or alternatively do as I did chuck it away and get another. The slight downside is losing the €5 sim cost, but then you don’t get tied into a contract.
I have a Reglo Mobile SIM which I used for my recent two month trip to France.

You can top up monthly using a credit card which is what I did, in my case using Halifax Clarity to do this as cheaply as possible. You can change your plan monthly if you so wish for example if you find that you don't require as much data as you thought initially.

In addition you can elect to retain the SIM for a minimal amount of 1,50€ per month under which plan you pay for any usage you may make.

I changed to this plan when I left France and will change back to a data allowance plan before I return in the Autumn. I find it useful to retain my French phone number as an alternative means of contact for my daughters when in France, or elsewhere in the EU.

It also means I don't have to go through the rigmarole of buying another SIM, setting up the phone and creating another online account for administration.

From what I can gather with my very shaky French, these companies want your bank card details to set up direct debits. I only want one months worth, any way around this? Looking for advice from the experienced please.
As SimonM has said, you pay for the SIM card plus the first month's usage up front. If you only want one month's usage, you don't need to make any further payment; they will however, contact you to encourage you to fund future usage - just ignore it. If you want more than one month's usage, you have options; you can provide some form of authority to take regular payments or you can simply purchase another month's credit. The latter can be done either in a Leclerc store or by registering to manage the account online and then authorising a single card payment. I went down the latter route, because it also enabled me to adjust the data volume that I required for the second month. The single payment was taken and the extra month's service was provided. I was again encouraged to fund future usage but as this was not required I ignored the suggestion and no attempt was made to debit my card.
Setting up the online account is easier with good command of French; if using a website translation engine, some of the (mis)translation can be confusing!

I have a Reglo Mobile SIM which I used for my recent two month trip to France.

You can top up monthly using a credit card which is what I did, in my case using Halifax Clarity to do this as cheaply as possible. You can change your plan monthly if you so wish for example if you find that you don't require as much data as you thought initially.

In addition you can elect to retain the SIM for a minimal amount of 1,50€ per month under which plan you pay for any usage you may make.

I changed to this plan when I left France and will change back to a data allowance plan before I return in the Autumn. I find it useful to retain my French phone number as an alternative means of contact for my daughters when in France, or elsewhere in the EU.

It also means I don't have to go through the rigmarole of buying another SIM, setting up the phone and creating another online account for administration.
Actually, you wouldn't create another online account; you just add a new number to the existing one.

I popped into Leclerc at St Malo yesterday and picked up a 120GB Reglo sim for €19.95 which includes €5 for the SIM card. It comes in a pack which is on the shelf in the Leclerc electronic goods store.

The check out required to see passport and I used my driving licence for the home address information. The manager then took the pack, activated the SIM, and returned it to me.

When I popped the SIM into the phone, it worked straight away and I registered with the Reglo website, using Google chrome to auto translate. I set up an IBAN direct debit mandate (online banking so no fees) which can be amended or cancelled as and when. All very straightforward so thank you all for the info.

Nice to have absolutely no roaming worries and to be able to stream British radio and TV (using VPN) as and when, within reason of course. We don’t plan to watch TV 24/7 whilst in France, which would use up 120GB in around 5 days!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back