Freeview TV

PaulC

What sort of experiences are people getting when using equipment to obtain Freeview whilst wilding? Are you using digi boxes, have you used TV dongles with laptops, what reception do you need and what type of aerial do you use?

Cheers

Hiya

I'm using a WinTV dongle thingy (PC World £30ish) that fits into the USB of the laptop and works very well both here and in Europe depending on the area you're in and whether you're on a hill or in a hollow.

At the mo I'm on a campsite on the edge of Dartmoor and can pic up 9 watchable channels and about another 8 shopping channels! The further away from civilisation you camp the weaker the signal. Camp way out in the sticks and you may not get much joy, although maybe this'll improve with the digital switchover.

I only use the tiny magnetic indoor aerial supplied, so an outdoor one would no doubt improve things.

You mean you use one of those "stick" things and it's alright under most conditions? Unbelievable!

we have a freeveiw box and tv with an ordinary ariel works ok most of the time

My van which I ordered 4 years ago came with built in TV and seperate digibox. It is only recently (last 12-18 months) that I have am having greater success with gaining digital signals. We are finding that the none BBC channels are received clearer in the majority of cases. Don't forget that this also gives you DAB radio....

Jon

I've went and bought a Dazzle stick, bur cannot install the software correctly, it wants Framework 2.0 installed first and I cannot do it. However the software does sort of work and I'm getting high 90% signal strength. But no programme reception!

I've went and bought a Dazzle stick, bur cannot install the software correctly, it wants Framework 2.0 installed first and I cannot do it. However the software does sort of work and I'm getting high 90% signal strength. But no programme reception!

What's the problem with installing net framework 2? It's a big install, (around 200mb)is it because you haven't enough free space?
Rick

No framework 2.0 is on my computer but the software keeps asking for it! I've searched the web and it seems to be "problem" in the forums. Anyhow I can't get any reception (tried may different locations, etc.) but have a signal strength of 97%. I've lost some interest by now, but will give it another go some time!

Just download it from Microsoft.com - you will only need version 2 ignore 1 and 3.
Rick

I did but it will not install on my computer! Because I believe there is a conflict on my system somewhere.

Do you have an anti-virus or spyware package that is preventing installation? Can you remember what error message it gave you?
Rick

Well first off I can't remove, via Add/remove utility the already present framework 2.0 because it's been used by another prgram. I was thinking it was somehow corupted and going to replace it with the one I download from MS. But I suspect it's not.

Have you tried uninstalling in safe mode? - Won't always work in xp.
Can you identify in task manager which is the probable user of net framework and stop the process. If I have a problem like that I just shut down every running process possible and then try again.
If that fails try disabling the startup progs using msconfig, restart and try again - not forgetting to re-enable the startup progs again afterwards.
How these niggling little problems are sent to try us!
Good luck.
Rick

Going back to the original question, I've only obtained Freeview around the Poole area (my area's not until 2011) so have gone down the Sky box route for now.
I was using a 12v Freeview box from Asda into a std LCD TV via a Status 520 aerial.

Going back to the original question, I've only obtained Freeview around the Poole area (my area's not until 2011) so have gone down the Sky box route for now.
I was using a 12v Freeview box from Asda into a std LCD TV via a Status 520 aerial.

Is the staus 520 suitable for freeview digital transmissions?noticed their are some accessorie shops selling off the old stock,Andy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back