Free Campsite!!!!

I am contacting Terry later on Gordon. I promised him his name and generosity would be advertised on the forum and on Campra.
Every so often in life you come across people whose kindness shines out and they leave an impression on you. Terry has this aura about him. I liken him to a site owner we met in NZ, he was Bhuddist, he charged so little for his site, just enough to cover the running cost, he also grew fresh veg which was free to pick. We donated him more than what we would have paid for a commercial site and it felt really good to do so. It really is a win-win situation when people are kind to each other.

What's the betting a councillor has an interest in the campsite up the road???

Seems like a nice bloke though :)
There is a full explanation online with the reasons for rejection of an appeal.

Have you got the link?

In summary, the space is too rural.

0.7miles from a town.

The appeal said about a campsite equidistant from the other side of the town. The appeal dismissed that because they couldn't (be arsed to) find the planning permission.

Here's the link:

The bloke making the decision had an interest in a development company. I can't be bothered to look any further but I do wonder if the land is prime for housing, as long as it doesn't end up as a campsite.

Just got back from a few days away and I have to tell you about this chap called Terry and his FREE campsite, yup FREE!
If it was just a scraggy bit of grass next to a motorway I wouldn't bother to mention it.

The site is just outside of Blyton behind the large layby on the A159 near Gainsborough. We pulled into the layby for a quick break and along comes Terry on his ride on mower, pulls over to us, says hi and told us if we want to stay the night on his site we are very welcome. He invited us to have a look and I have to say it is one of the best sites I have ever see. Three acres of lawn and it is totally level.
Terry explained to us that it was once a contaminated wasteland and he spent five years clearing it to a depth of two feet, re-soiling and seeding. Terry then decided to clear the layby of scrub, prune the mature trees and re-seed the ground. On top of all this he laid new drains to carry surface water to a nearby culvert to prevent the flooding that often occurred.

He then applied to the local council to use the land as a campsite - this was refused. I don't know the reason why, nor does Terry.

Terry then decided that he would still have his campsite and to get around the planning it would be free to his 'friends'. Another of his objectives is to give poorer families the chance to have a holiday in a nice area. Terry will set up inflatable swimming pools for the kids!

On site is a cafe, waste disposal and bathroom in which he will be installing showers in the near future.

Anyway enough of my blather, I'll let the pics tell the story.

View attachment 96581View attachment 96582View attachment 96583View attachment 96584View attachment 96585View attachment 96586View attachment 96587View attachment 96588

His partner Pam gave us a free cheesecake which was superb. Terry was a chef and will cook meals to order, even doing a Sunday Roast if you beg hard enough!

To finish off: The campsite is free but if you wish to make a donation it would be gratefully received.

There are more glowing reviews on Facebook.

In summary, the space is too rural.

0.7miles from a town.

The appeal said about a campsite equidistant from the other side of the town. The appeal dismissed that because they couldn't (be arsed to) find the planning permission.

Here's the link:

The bloke making the decision had an interest in a development company. I can't be bothered to look any further but I do wonder if the land is prime for housing, as long as it doesn't end up as a campsite.

The caravans, toilet block, fencing and gates would appear uncharacteristic in this otherwise rural landscape and there is insufficient information to assess the impact on the amenity of the managers accommodation from the adjacent railway line,

What total bo***cks! The place was an overgrown contaminated site prone to flooding! It's set well back from the road behind mature trees! The whole site is hidden by hedging, since when has hedging been a planning matter?

Maybe Terry wasn't prepared to give them a bung?

This makes my blood boil. Our local council has granted the go ahead for the expansion of a concrete panel manufacturing plant in the adjoining village, this means we now have 44 tonne lorries carrying the panels and RSJ's rattling past our house from 6:00 am to 6:00pm. There are cottages within 20 metres of the plant that are now coated in cement dust, as are the roads, hedges and gardens. There were hundreds of letters of objections from concerned residents and British Rail who were concerned about the safety of plant structure, given it's proximity to the railway platform and lines.
We are a rural community in the heart of Cheshire. Where is the consistency in rural planning law? To my way of thinking the only consistency is corruption!

Rant over. HAARRRUUMMPHH.:mad:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back