France - to use tolls or not?

We use a Prepaid Post Office card for our ATMB tag which we preload in Euro's so no exchange rate charges. PO card is used for 90 % of our spending abroad can be loaded any where any time via the phone app
As I understand it you pay a charge when you load the card with Sterling which is then converted to Euros. So there is in effect an exchange rate charge.

A much cheaper and more flexible option is to use a card such as the Halifax Clarity credit card. There are no charges for purchases in foreign currencies and the Sterling charge is calculated at the inter-bank exchange rate on the day of the transaction.

Cash withdrawals will have an interest charge between the date of withdrawal and the statement date.

As I understand it you pay a charge when you load the card with Sterling which is then converted to Euros. So there is in effect an exchange rate charge.
No we load card with Euro's at current exchange rate to Avoid this

I see Via Michelin gives toll costs for cars but does anyone know how to calculate the costs for a class2? Is it double the car rate for example?

I see Via Michelin gives toll costs for cars but does anyone know how to calculate the costs for a class2? Is it double the car rate for example?
I found a website that had class 1 and 2 tolls for a long list of toll roads - all charge different rates. I added them up and the average for class 2 was 50% more than class 1. A rough calculation but probably a reasonable guide.

We use a Prepaid Post Office card for our ATMB tag which we preload in Euro's so no exchange rate charges. PO card is used for 90 % of our spending abroad can be loaded any where any time via the phone app
Just get a decent bank account Like Starling. No need for special cards, the starling debit card is good to go when travelling. No charges at all. It is also very fast at paying back the buffer taken by many fuel stations. It is normally back in our account usage before we have got five kilometers. The exchange rate is also done immediately, no trying to work out what we have spent.

Just get a decent bank account Like Starling. No need for special cards, the starling debit card is good to go when travelling. No charges at all. It is also very fast at paying back the buffer taken by many fuel stations. It is normally back in our account usage before we have got five kilometers. The exchange rate is also done immediately, no trying to work out what we have spent.
We love Starling have an account each.

I also both have a card on a joint account. which I have given to our Cuban Godsons' father.
We put Sterling on the card and he can use it to by things from either local or hard currency shops or get cash from an ATM.
If it is stolen or lost the risk is limited to however much I have loaded on the card.

In 44 years of driving in France have only ever used toll roads twice, once on a dash back, and once to cross Millou bridge.
Same here. The village under the bridge and view directly under the bridge worth the detour.

well over 20 years ago now we had a split camping trip with eurocamp 10 days nr sete on the med second 10 at aveyron we drove up a very steep hill through fog with hairpin bends very carefully after about half an hour we left the fog behind it was low cloud and looking right we could see one high tower with cables and poking through the clouds other stages looking like stepping stones for the gods

In 44 years of driving in France have only ever used toll roads twice, once on a dash back, and once to cross Millou bridge.
Years ago just after it was opened to traffic before we had a motorhome we where coming home and thought it'd be ok to travel over the bridge so coming up thru we saw a sign viewing area came off and came into a large parking area the viewing area was a long way away from where we could park. cars where kept out by the height of the kerbing but our jeep mounted them across the border and across the other parking area to the viewing area took our pics and left driving over the bridge we realised we where going back so 2 half trips over the bridge for free

I go to France as often as possible. I have a SANEF tag and rarely use it. N & D roads for me unless there's an 'emergency'. I doubt you will be compost mentis if you try to take the 'no toll' route with a tight schedule
As I see it you have only two choices. Bite the bullet and use the toll roads or leave in the middle of August.
Have a great trip

I go to France as often as possible. I have a SANEF tag and rarely use it. N & D roads for me unless there's an 'emergency'. I doubt you will be compost mentis if you try to take the 'no toll' route with a tight schedule
As I see it you have only two choices. Bite the bullet and use the toll roads or leave in the middle of August.
Have a great trip
We also have the SANEF tag and rarely use it. But with limited time as 'er indoors still works, sometimes we have to use them to get to the area we want to explore. I love rural France, but I also love the "new" areas that can be opened up by using the toll roads.

I love rural France, but I also love the "new" areas that can be opened up by using the toll roads.
Just different scenery to be enjoyed I dislike paying for tolls but hate driving thru all the humps an bumps in most towns Remember the French pay no road tax so it evens out for them

So if you don’t avoid tolls, how much are people actually paying for the tolls on the main routes to get from Spain to Calais?

i’m going over to dieppe tomorrow afternoon so sunday i will be going from yvetot to ruffec 6.5 hrs 455 km non toll roads so a couple of days of roundabouts speed bumps etc or 4 hrs on the A28 4.25 hrs 467kms an easy day

Best way I think is to check each section of the trip say in 100 mile chunks on the sat nav or online, toll and without toll and see if there is much time difference. I worked on the principle of it it saves an hour over 100 miles definitely take the toll but if it's 20 minutes don't bother.

i’m going over to dieppe tomorrow afternoon so sunday i will be going from yvetot to ruffec 6.5 hrs 455 km non toll roads so a couple of days of roundabouts speed bumps etc or 4 hrs on the A28 4.25 hrs 467kms an easy day
I'm going from from Dieepe to Ruffec, next saturday 😀, will take the shorter non toll route, over a couple of days stopover around Vendome. Free roads except the toll to avoid Poitiers.

Back