France speed cameras sabotaged

Canalsman

Yellow vests knock out 60% of all speed cameras in France - BBC News

On my recent drive from Dieppe to the Med I noticed nearly all cameras wrapped in black plastic ...

At the time I thought they had been disabled due to the change from 90kph to 80kph limits and were awaiting recalibration.

Evidently not!

As an aside I note that TomTom have updated their maps to reflect the lowered limit. There are some inconsistencies where the limit remains at 90kph e.g. on multiple lane roads without a physical barrier between opposing carriageways. Here TomTom has played safe and shows the limit as 80kph.

Somebody must have made a few bob supplying the many 80 signs and installing them!

As an aside I note that TomTom have updated their maps to reflect the lowered limit. There are some inconsistencies where the limit remains at 90kph e.g. on multiple lane roads without a physical barrier between opposing carriageways. Here TomTom has played safe and shows the limit as 80kph.

Not done a lot of mileage within France this year, just cutting across the north east a few times, TomTom seemed to be correct on the later trips when limit had changed.

I try and keep to 50 / 60 mph so no real problem and use the sat nag set at KPH just in case, as a speedo (I can't see the one on the dash!!) I do have a dear friend here who will annually update the 'Oppy get lost machine, so hopefully we will be safe on our next forray, health permitting

Last edited:
We saw this as well on our last trip all speed cameras were either sprayed or wrapped in plastic. The French consider them as a tax and therefore stopped it being able to collect. Going out again in a couple of weeks so will see if there still wrapped :wave:

<snip>

When in France in early August through to mid September 2018, I found that my Garmin was consistent with road signage in terms of 80 and 90 km/h limits. On the other hand, as for some years, there were inconsistencies in respect of start location of 50 km/h limits (where the speed limit signs had been moved further out) and the location of 30 km/h limits, with some not being shown on the Garmin while it showed others that were not indicated by signage.

We have seen the speed cameras smashed, some set on fire and others wrapped in black plastic, I don't think we saw one that was working.
TomTom was pretty accurate with the speed signs but I still kept vigilant

I visited between Xmas and new year and noticed a few speed cameras sprayed with luminous yellow paint squiggles

We could do with some Yellow Vests visiting our cameras.

A speed camera in Gateshead was given a 'Soweto necklace'* a few years ago and has not been repaired since.

* A Soweto necklace is a tyre filled with petrol and then ignited.

A speed camera in Gateshead was given a 'Soweto necklace'* a few years ago and has not been repaired since.

* A Soweto necklace is a tyre filled with petrol and then ignited.

one in Temple Cloud in somerset on the main A37 (and it is a really dangerous road at this point ) has been torched more times than i can remember in the last 20 years. It has been replaced every time. It saves lives. The camera itself is now mounted on such a high podium that no one can reach it. There have been several deaths here and one motorbike was clocked at 105mph a few years back.

sometimes speed cameras have a vital function.

one in Temple Cloud in somerset on the main A37 (and it is a really dangerous road at this point ) has been torched more times than i can remember in the last 20 years. It has been replaced every time. It saves lives. The camera itself is now mounted on such a high podium that no one can reach it. There have been several deaths here and one motorbike was clocked at 105mph a few years back.

sometimes speed cameras have a vital function.

The first speed camera I saw which was torched, was on a stretch of road where a friends son died due to a speeding car, the ignorance of some people is beyond belief.

Also reported that the speed cameras that are still working are raking in the loot because stupid people figure 60% out of action means ALL out of action

Don't have a problem with cameras BUT.......

Cameras that are fixed are generally in places where folk go to fast and there has been some serious crashes. You get to know where these are and slow down, they have then done the job as safety camera..
But the VANS they use just turn up anywhere they can make a few quid!! A64 going towards York from Tadcaster 2 vans within 5 miles of each other on the same side as each other, now if that isn't £ collecting I don't know what is...

They should be near populated areas and villages not out on the nice open areas. or get rid of them, save the wages of those inside and the cost of the vans which is £1000's each and pop a static camera up outside all schools and in every village etc. Then I think they would be accepted as safety cameras...

hope your both ok

I try and keep to 50 / 60 mph so no real problem and use the sat nag set at KPH just in case, as a speedo (I can't see the one on the dash!!) I do have a dear friend here who will annually update the 'Oppy get lost machine, so hopefully we will be safe on our next forray, health permitting

soon pj

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back