France/Spain, to go or not to go?

rabW

Decision nearly made, to cancel euro trip. Tunnel booked, route worked out, aires and campsites sorted, but practicalities, prices, fuel supply concerns, conscience about Ukranian situation weighing heavily.
Haven't cancelled tunnel or vet certificate visit yet but thought I'd ask on the forum, how's everyone else feeling?
cheers, Rab

Our plan is still to go, but in the past when we have had to change our tunnel crossing (entirely separate reason, someone fell off a step ladder and broke his arm so couldn’t drive, and I wasn’t driving the whole trip myself) the tunnel people were excellent. They pushed forward the date as far as possible - a year ahead - and said just to call when we wanted to rearrange. That might influence your choice.

The general situation does feel jittery right now, but the 'what if' question is always there in life no matter what.

Potential full scale war or no war, covid or no covid, fuel prices up or down, to be or not to be...? 🤷‍♀️

Very much depends on how risk averse you are as individuals?

If it was me currently in your position - i.e. no commitments, reliable moho and disposable income - I wouldn't be thinking twice.

I'd be racing down that tunnel like a rat down a drainpipe!!! 🐀🐀🐀🚐🚐🚐 👍:)

PS. Neil's brother and his wife are off shortly for a package holiday break in Prague - that's a bit nearer the current conflict than some destinations and they aren't bothered one bit.

Last edited:
Decision nearly made, to cancel euro trip. Tunnel booked, route worked out, aires and campsites sorted, but practicalities, prices, fuel supply concerns, conscience about Ukranian situation weighing heavily.
Haven't cancelled tunnel or vet certificate visit yet but thought I'd ask on the forum, how's everyone else feeling?
cheers, Rab
I should be there now but fekkin doctors keep getting in the way ! Another appointment next week , hopefully get green light .
World situation would not be stopping me

Take lots of first aid kits and send them on to the Ukraine.
ukraine.png

Currently in Portugal, fuel prices are rising (but the pound has had a good run against the euro) we're not heading home early. Life is pretty normal apart from the mask wearing.
We've enough cash, but we'll reevaluate before we come back over in the autumn.

No shortages of fuel in Spain at the moment and although now 1.50 euro for diesel, exchange rate up to near 1.20. Ukraine is at least a good day and a half travel so don't feel threatened.
I would say come but maybe adjust plans so you could make a quick dash home if needed.

thanks all, we've a two day hike from the highlands to factor in, appreciate all the comments. Never been to Cornwall, might hit a heat wave there! booked tunnel last November so a year's postponement runs until Nov this year. When's the asteroid due Wully?

so a year's postponement runs until Nov this year.
I might be wrong, but I think when we cancelled, the year ran from the date we made the cancellation. so that would give you until March 2023.

2019 kept time away to minimum due to awaiting hip operation.
2020 Delayed op and Covid meant no long trips.
2021 Recovery from greatly delayed op and Covid meant no long trips.
2022 We're going, live life while you can, you never know what's around the corner.

thanks all, we've a two day hike from the highlands to factor in, appreciate all the comments. Never been to Cornwall, might hit a heat wave there! booked tunnel last November so a year's postponement runs until Nov this year. When's the asteroid due Wully?
Any day now Rab.😂 I’ve started prepping just in case that nugget starts pressing red buttons were 20 miles from faslane so we’re toast. Van fuelled up and ready to go leave your keys under the mat we’re gonna head up your way.😂

I might be wrong, but I think when we cancelled, the year ran from the date we made the cancellation. so that would give you until March 2023.
Spoke with them this pm Jo, runs for us from date of booking.

Spoke with them this pm Jo, runs for us from date of booking.
Thanks for clarifying. Thinking back, I don’t think we had had it booked for very long before we had to cancel (did I mention someone fell off a step ladder and broke his arm??? :mad:) so it probably felt like a year’s wiggle room for us.

cheers, Rab

We are in Spain and have been since the start of Feb. In terms of Covid I think you would feel safe: the Spanish have been exemplary in the use of masks and hand gels are everywhere. We feel safer here than we did back home tbh.

Haven't had to buy fuel since the start of the war so cant comment on that.

Portugal feels safe regarding covid, masks worn and gel available. Fuel prices have shot up €1.57 end Jan now €1.71 in local cheapest supermarket. Ukraine is on news everywhere but don't think the situation is any different whether in UK or France, Spain, Portugal. Might avoid closer places but I would go for it, at the moment there always seems to be something to put us off. Travelling in your own self contained metal box is quite appealing?

Portugal feels safe regarding covid, masks worn and gel available. Fuel prices have shot up €1.57 end Jan now €1.71 in local cheapest supermarket. Ukraine is on news everywhere but don't think the situation is any different whether in UK or France, Spain, Portugal. Might avoid closer places but I would go for it, at the moment there always seems to be something to put us off. Travelling in your own self contained metal box is quite appealing?
I've become a terrible dithererer? Ruth. Decision soon or Val will disown me. I know political rants are verboten now but fputin fbrexit.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back