France on a budget

The only thing i plan / book is the outgoing ferry Dover - Calais online and that`s normally only a day or two in advance.

The return is the same done online a day or two before we need it.

The rest of the trip is made up day by day depending on how we feel.

The only thing i plan / book is the outgoing ferry Dover - Calais online and that`s normally only a day or two in advance.

The return is the same done online a day or two before we need it.

The rest of the trip is made up day by day depending on how we feel.

I'm not very good at sticking to a plan even if I make one but I can see the wisdom making sure I am well up on stuff before I go so as to make the most of the time there.
I'm going to go through the tunnel, partly because I go green before we are out of sight of land and partly because I have never done it before and this trip is about firsts. The tunnel is less than £100 each way if I book it now which in the school hols is as good as anything else.

I'm not very good at sticking to a plan even if I make one but I can see the wisdom making sure I am well up on stuff before I go so as to make the most of the time there.
I'm going to go through the tunnel, partly because I go green before we are out of sight of land and partly because I have never done it before and this trip is about firsts. The tunnel is less than £100 each way if I book it now which in the school hols is as good as anything else.

If the tunnel is your best ( for health reasons ) option then that`s fine and as you are restricted to the school holidays that a very good price.

We are lucky not being restricted time wise so our only concern is the weather.

Ferry would be a fair bit cheaper I bet if your watching the costs. Its just like being on a big bus. They are so stable these days. just sit in the middle in the lounge, you wont even know your at sea.

We came back in late October in a force 9, the channel was white! Boat hardly moved. I was disappointed. :D

Good tip about breakdown but we never bother with travel insurance. EHIC card has saved us so far and one of us always ends up in Hospital. :D
Three weeks and your not going far. Its a risk I would take if your watching the quids.

I wouldnt bother with an ACSI card for France either especially if your trying to save money. Just avoid campsites completely, there are few areas in France where they are necessary. Washing machines in Summer for three weeks?. Mrs D does all our washing in the van or sinks if we find them. Shorts and T shirts innit.

This was first posted by Sky 5 years ago and I still think it is the best posts I have ever read on here. https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...w-tips-your-first-french-trip.html#post294191.

I would add that we had the camping card but never used it. We had the brake down insurance and did use it. Some serious horror stories about brits being ripped off by french garages so good to let the insurance sort them out. Also we shopped in the first supermarket we got to when we needed one and found them all good but be warned about about the 1 euro btls of wine :(. 2 euro btle chilled with a drop of lemonade :banana:

Chill out out, relax and don't try to make ridged plans.. We rarely made more than 10 miles without stopping to enjoy something new and the french are happy for you to stop. Nothing like this country!

Richard

Ferry would be a fair bit cheaper I bet if your watching the costs. Its just like being on a big bus. They are so stable these days. just sit in the middle in the lounge, you wont even know your at sea.

We came back in late October in a force 9, the channel was white! Boat hardly moved. I was disappointed. :D

Good tip about breakdown but we never bother with travel insurance. EHIC card has saved us so far and one of us always ends up in Hospital. :D
Three weeks and your not going far. Its a risk I would take if your watching the quids.

I wouldnt bother with an ACSI card for France either especially if your trying to save money. Just avoid campsites completely, there are few areas in France where they are necessary. Washing machines in Summer for three weeks?. Mrs D does all our washing in the van or sinks if we find them. Shorts and T shirts innit.

I can't find it cheaper by ferry, not at the end of July when everyone else wants to travel! I would like to go from Poole or Plymouth because we are nearer to these and they arrive nearer to Brittany where I would like to start out but these routes at the end of July are V.expensive but even Dover Calais is £150 each way

I can't find it cheaper by ferry, not at the end of July when everyone else wants to travel! I would like to go from Poole or Plymouth because we are nearer to these and they arrive nearer to Brittany where I would like to start out but these routes at the end of July are V.expensive but even Dover Calais is £150 each way

Sometimes people like the camping and caravan club can get you serious discounts.

Richard

End of July might be the busiest time. If there is nothing in it then you may as well try the tunnel. Ive found with ferries though that the cost changes a fair bit depending on when your prepared to travel. We usually go out about 5pm and return about 9-10am. Some of the crack of dawn rates are often pretty good but that means staying at Dover and Im not keen on that.

This was first posted by Sky 5 years ago and I still think it is the best posts I have ever read on here. https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...w-tips-your-first-french-trip.html#post294191.

I would add that we had the camping card but never used it. We had the brake down insurance and did use it. Some serious horror stories about brits being ripped off by french garages so good to let the insurance sort them out. Also we shopped in the first supermarket we got to when we needed one and found them all good but be warned about about the 1 euro btls of wine :(. 2 euro btle chilled with a drop of lemonade :banana:

Chill out out, relax and don't try to make ridged plans.. We rarely made more than 10 miles without stopping to enjoy something new and the french are happy for you to stop. Nothing like this country!

Richard

Yes this post answers so many questions, have printed it out to refer to thanks

It's very unusual for the prices to be so similar, so thought I'd get a price for my van, one way, 4 passengers end of July. Cheapest price for ferry is £66.

£124 for train same day.

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 18.30.13.jpg

Last edited:
Worth knowing thanks - any way of knowing where to find these, although I am hoping for glorious sunshine of course and being able to wash and dry in the van, but just in case!!!

Sorry - I know where the ones are that we have passed, but not anyway of finding out.

Never had any trouble from our laundry when left alone what might it get up to ?

Maybe I am just cautious but if it reached the end of its cycle, I would hate for some low-life to make off with it while I was browsing the cheese and wine in the supermarket.

A lot of super markets have launderettes and its possible to sit in the van watching while your washing is being done, Once the cycle starts it won't open until it ends so you've no need to sit there all the time. B/F Poole to Cherbourg end of July mon to wed is £204 how much fuel to drive to dover and down to Cherbourg

Thanks Richard, I'm still around lurking. I'm glad that old post is still proving useful.

I would have given you a 'like', but for some reason the button isn't responding - could be my security settings; I shall take a look.

Trevor

You are probably trying to click on the 'Like' that is not a link button. Look a little lower down & try clicking on that 'Like'.

Thank you so much for taking time to share all this. This trip is about putting a toe in the water of venturing further afield in the van but I can see the value of some forethought thanks and particularly about being able to access the internet. Going to have to look at mifi or something similar.

MiFi can have its advantages in terms of access wherever you have a mobile signal, but if you happen to be with BT for your Internet, you should have free access to the Fon network, which can be very useful, especially if on a budget.

FON is great if you have a wifi antenna like an iBoost but as the roaming charges have been abolished (For now) you should be able to use your phone for a quick google (check with your provider) at the same cost as if you were at home but some restrictions on data usage may apply but for three weeks you should be fine. This can be really useful for just quickly googling for information on your locality when you turf up somewhere or even as your wandering about.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back