France next week?

I would advise anyone going to France to call and check as the calls are recorded which gives you some security if a claim was forthcoming.
Depends on the insurance company. I was insured through the C&MC insurance, Devitts. Yes, they recorded my calls. But that didn't give me a copy of them, it only gave them a copy. And when they screwed up, doing the opposite of what they told me they'd do, they did go back and listen to the recording.
The upshot? Their Managing Director said "Sorry". The C&MC insurance boss woman said "Sorry".
Did me no good.

Depends on the insurance company. I was insured through the C&MC insurance, Devitts. Yes, they recorded my calls. But that didn't give me a copy of them, it only gave them a copy. And when they screwed up, doing the opposite of what they told me they'd do, they did go back and listen to the recording.
The upshot? Their Managing Director said "Sorry". The C&MC insurance boss woman said "Sorry".
Did me no good.
Interesting. I also did a web chat with them (Nationwide FlexPlus) and printed out the conversation which confirmed the verbal conversation I had. It is just a shame you have to think like this these days....

Hi, we are thinking about going to France soon. Has anyone used Staysure Travel Ins and needed to claim with them. What was the experience.
pj

Booked for France next week, on tenterhooks in case the french impose a fourteen day inbound quarantine which could be awkward. Also the infection rate is up again over there but not in the areas we are looking at.

Anyone else heading over or already there, still going but a very slight dither....
Hi there, We’ve been scooting about Europe for nearly 2 months.
Mostly away from the crowds but not always. Portugal is open for business as usual.
Hope to meet up if you get this far down.

Over on the Shuttle today with terminal almost empty. Arrived early and was offered an earlier train. Left an hour and half earlier than booked. Went to Honfleur as I was early and was expecting it to be only partly full . How wrong,, it’s rammed. Was lucky to get parked with elec.

hi im in alvor at the moment are you anywhere near ???
Unfortunately not. We are not expecting to hit the south coast until it quietens down a bit. We were sat out last night lakeside near Marvão chatting to an English couple who have been resident in the Algarve for 20 years. They have come north in their motorhome for the cooler weather and to escape the tourist season. Told us not to rush south just yet. Confirmed the police were giving out on the spot €400 wildcamping fines to motorhomes on most Algarve car parks and beaches.

Same as BGT180. Arrived at tunnel on Tues and the place was like a morg. Got on early crossing. No one asked for any checks etc. Got down to saint claire on a 1st class aire. 12 euros inc hook up. Also had a shower and toilet on site. Plenty of spare spaces (unlike BGT180) Next day carried on to Claremont Ferrand for a stay over. Again, very quiet. Crossed Spanish border today. Again no checks of any sort. People behaving re masks etc. (y) Andalucia next.

Pleased to hear no hold up at Spanish border. Will be drifting around in the Dordogne for a few days then into Spain

Last edited:
Pleased to here no hold up at Spanish border. Will be drifting around in the Dordogne for a few days then into Spain
We decided to cross border early , again no issues or controls , as some friends of ours who are French residents were increasingly telling us that Macron was going to close his borders again. Who knows ! anyway safely back in Spain now, Enjoy your travels ,

So here we are in France. The Brittany ferries crossing was very well organised, you were colour coded and called from your cabin to the car deck in groups, while on board everyone wore masks except in the restaurant and all staff wore them all the time. Having said that the ferry was not busy but enough cars, vans and passengers to prevent me freaking out if I was the only one! No problem entering though the customs did take longer than usual, no forms to fill in or hand in. Now the surprising bit, french camper vans everywhere, far busier in the Brittany / morbihan area than I have ever seen. The bonus is that there are so many places to stay that keeping away from other vans is easy if that’s what you feel the need to do. Currently at Maelstrot and they have opened two overflow fields for campers due to demand. The free town WiFi now reaches the Aires so a double bonus. Everyone wears masks shopping but the social distancing rules are one metre not two which feels odd to start with. If coming over wear a mask, wash your hands and drink the wine.

Same for us really but noticed far more people wearing masks in Spain when we crossed the border.

We did 3 weeks in Normandy in August. With just one exception, all of the aires we went to were rammed. Pretty much all French, some Dutch and Germans. Christ knows what it would be like if the British were out in force, we didn't see an British van for the first 2 weeks.

The exception was a small place in Calais, 15mins from the tunnel. Was empty when we arrived, one Dutch van joined late in the evening.

Only check at Eurotunnel was my passport by British Border Control. No other checks and waved through. Honfleur packed with all nationalities except Brits- saw only 3 others. Now in the Dordogne at Soulliac and seen only one other Brit on the way. Sites mainly French with occasional German and Dutch. Weather good @ 28c with. Breeze. Heading down to Spain over the next 2 days

Only check at Eurotunnel was my passport by British Border Control. No other checks and waved through. Honfleur packed with all nationalities except Brits- saw only 3 others. Now in the Dordogne at Soulliac and seen only one other Brit on the way. Sites mainly French with occasional German and Dutch. Weather good @ 28c with. Breeze. Heading down to Spain over the next 2 days
Similar plan... off to Portugal for first time... currently in Perigeaux ... v v few Brit vans... Mask discipline and spacing is good other than city Centres where a few cafes are seating close by... but most seem very considerate
Thinking of Sompot tunnel.... any advice?

We have used Somport Tunnel to get down to East coast of Spain, no problems and good roads , think its ok for portugal too , I am sure others will confirm /deny. Laruns is in our opinion a good alternative with possibly better views and a good aire at the top in Laruns if you are not rushing. Earlier this year a friend did get stopped at northern end of Tunnel when going back to uk and van searched for drugs . Not heard of this before and he did look like an old hippy !

Similar plan... off to Portugal for first time... currently in Perigeaux ... v v few Brit vans... Mask discipline and spacing is good other than city Centres where a few cafes are seating close by... but most seem very considerate
Thinking of Sompot tunnel.... any advice?
Only used it once for access to Central Spain, no problems I recall. Just arrived in Spain at Palamos from Argelès sur Mer using AP7, again no problems or delays. Hot and humid

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back