France fuel shortages

The situation varies from region to region, with the south-east being particularly affected. Some refinery workers are being legally compelled to work to load road tankers for fuel deliveries to filling stations. In many départements, prefects have decreed rationing at filling stations.

D137 this afternoon between Saintes and Cubzac, one small Total station in a village was closed, all other filling stations that I saw were open, with vehicles being filled but no queues at the pumps.

Suffered delays getting past protesters at the dock in Ouistreham on Tuesday afternoon, extremely please we were some of the first off the ferry. Noticed fuel stations for the first 100 miles had cones out on the forecourts, no problems encountered further south.

Lots of Dutch leaving the site we are on in Benidorm today. It’s the end of their 6 month contract (lucky people) and one said that they need to return to the Netherlands else they lose some pension rights (the indexation element I believe). One or two are extending their stay for a few days to avoid the mass dutch and German exodus and paying normal site fees.

Without exception they are all worried about travelling through France as a tankful of diesel is not enough to get to Belgium.

They could take a long detour and do the Alpine route as as tankful of Spanish diesel will get you to Italy. Some have been thinking about doing this but it does add a minimum of a day to the trip.

Lots of Dutch leaving the site we are on in Benidorm today. It’s the end of their 6 month contract (lucky people) and one said that they need to return to the Netherlands else they lose some pension rights (the indexation element I believe). One or two are extending their stay for a few days to avoid the mass dutch and German exodus and paying normal site fees.

Without exception they are all worried about travelling through France as a tankful of diesel is not enough to get to Belgium.

They could take a long detour and do the Alpine route as as tankful of Spanish diesel will get you to Italy. Some have been thinking about doing this but it does add a minimum of a day to the trip.
I suspect that they are worrying unnecessarily. They would be well-advised to look to top up when down to half a tank. I have experienced no issues obtaining fuel when required (from Ouistreham and down the western side of France). One filling station was rationing to €60, another to 30 litres, but many with no queues and no rationing. There are specific areas that may pose more issues than others, such as the areas around Marseille and Saint-Nazaire and perhaps Greater Paris. I believe that the Haute-Garonne had some issues for a time but understand that these have been resolved.

No issues sourcing fuel either, to be fair, not ventured too far since landing at Calais. Heading to Chauvigny market tomorrow with the car, Intermarche in the town are selling 20 litre plastic fuel container for 10 Euro, will purchase one and fuel the container while there tomorrow, which will sit securely withing the garage as a back up before heading south down sometime next week.

Last edited:
No issues for us atm, we travelled up thru Spain over the last 10 days.
Cheapest I’ve seen it and that was today was €1.79 it’s usually around €1.90ish
Spain cheapest was $1.42

No issues for us atm, we travelled up thru Spain over the last 10 days.
Cheapest I’ve seen it and that was today was €1.79 it’s usually around €1.90ish
Spain cheapest was $1.42
Seems to be huge variations in prices in Spain .
Got diesel near Torrelavega a few days ago , €1.57 . Few miles away 3 petrol stations. 2 were €1.39 one in middle €1.57

Yes we were there for the last few weeks and seen the prices coming down just in time we were there.

I passed a number of petrol stations today between Le Lavandou and Sainte Maxime. All had fuel but I can't say whether any quantity restrictions were in effect.
I passed some petrol stations; strange thing is, I have no recollection of having eaten them ... I thought it was heartburn ... :D

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back