France and mosquitoes this year

gypo

We are currently on a site near to Narbonne on the Mediterranean. The mosquitoes are so bad that we cant site outside even in the midday sun.
I’ve not know it this bad before. I usually get a few bits through out ours trips but I’ve been hammered this trip and still have 3 weeks to go!
I have read that the tiger mosquito is as active in the day as it is at dusk and dawn.
I also read that the tiger mosquito is now all over France.
As anyone else noticed they are worse this year?
D

We are currently on a site near to Narbonne on the Mediterranean. The mosquitoes are so bad that we cant site outside even in the midday sun.
I’ve not know it this bad before. I usually get a few bits through out ours trips but I’ve been hammered this trip and still have 3 weeks to go!
I have read that the tiger mosquito is as active in the day as it is at dusk and dawn.
I also read that the tiger mosquito is now all over France.
As anyone else noticed they are worse this year?
D
Not a problem where I was on the Algarve a few weeks ago, but people were arriving from coastal Spain south of Seville, complaining that it was un-liveable there, due to mozzies.

Last edited:
While new at getting away for longer periods to France and Spain, our choice is to arrive early in the year ( and hopefully the weather will be kind) then return north before the mozzies strike.

Last edited:
We moved up from the Costa brava area yesterday where it wasn’t bad, it was windy on the coast tho saying that.
We are literally confined to barracks today tho because of them. I’ve even overheard a French chap complaining about them!
Move on in the morning inland making our way across to the west coast somewhere over the next day or two I think.

I think it is possibly due to the unusual amounts of rain in Spain and France this spring. The people I met fleeing were 2 seperate lots of travellers back in early April/end March.

I hope it’s better inland and over on the Atlantic as it’s not good atm
We are currently here

Attachments

• IMG_4067.png
    IMG_4067.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
I’ve not been there I don’t think barry, I’ll have a look later see where this is to stay and what it’s like 👍

Well if I was down in Narbonne like Gypo I would be heading into the Grande Pyrenees. I would be heading there anyway! 😁 Everyone head for Gavarnie. If you you've not been you can thank me later!
Well we been at least 4 times first time 2002 with hire car and stayed in Hotel for a couple of nights stayed here with MH 42.73851 -0.01946
and drive up past to a wildspot https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7127256,-0.0514407,73a,35y,24.31h,45t/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

Last edited:
I’ve not been there I don’t think barry, I’ll have a look later see where this is to stay and what it’s like 👍
I have a guide on my laptop to the best bits of the Pyrenees. It's 2015 but probably still useful. I'll dig it out.

Had a problem with tiger mosquitoes in Antibes last year, told they are now common in parts of France.

Yes Barry thats great I remember a lot of those places think we might have followed You Lac Estaing an Artouse a nice rack train into the mountains reached by a cable car and from Laruns you can drive over Col d ' Aubisque overnight at the Col

I think the overnight bit are Lac Estang may have gone now but the little site at the top of the lake wasn't much I dont think.

I think we did the Col d ' Aubisque on the bike.

This happened to us a few years ago in our other van, boiled the brake fluid and fecked the discs, had to change it all when I got home

2nd and even 1st gear on the col du Tourmalet all way down and it should be fine. However if your just doing Gavarnie the easiest way in is from Lourdes 20 miles south of there. Dead easy road, not steep at all. Col du Tourmalet is fantastic though. We did it two up on the little Honda Vision as well as in the van.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:194)

runnach, guerdeval, Robmac, korky, campervanannie, 2cv, V1nny, SquirrellCook, NSY, Gadabout2, jacquigem, Jo001, RichardHelen262, Scotia, ajb70, witzend, pamjon, jeffmossy, ironman, Bouydog, colin, number14, Vivall, Val54, SuzieQ, ewen, oppy, carol, TJBi, VandA, barryd, alcam, mark61, Cass, Tonybvi, amcjam, petermotorhome, RegnVal, Greengrass, Wully, kevlakes, COCKY, Boris7, SimonM, cold, Fisherman, jann, TeamRienza, mike w, Canalsman, merl, marchie, Bigshug, 1807truckman, peejay, The laird, Drover, hmssnake, aross, zzr1400tim, Owen M, GinaRon, jeanette, keithlewis56, monxton, clarkpeacock, Wooie1958, Chip, GMJ, Elfit, Calianbay, Sue Paskins, Glandwr, Andys, Steve Dryden, AllanD, GLT, walpeter, Nickrock, Nomad Nelly, Budgie, Debroos, Makzine, Heppy, mariesnowgoose, hank, SApril, britcoms, Moocher, aderowswell, MrU, Jiwawa, JQB, Sharon the Cat, Tim120, cooperman, Glass man, BigEus, rjmurchie, Rob H, Livotlout, Windy6, andyt362, iampatman, Tezza33, belbri, andyjanet, bartman, kippaxblue, Mikecoo, Cosmicyoyo, JC-Wilts, Rumour, Pudsey Bear, jimmybanks41, The black dug, myvanwy, Faith shields, mygrassisblue, HurricaneSmith, Ianto999, suzesunflower, UFO, BigD003, bellars, trevskoda, BKCharles, gilsof31, linda1960, hellofriend, RJH, Wildrock, Alshymer, Owlsnest56, EllieM, davef, TrevandJenny, lefty107, Rong, KevinW, Ly085, boggie, denmar, bazzybabes, Amethyst, maingate, Lee, Biggarmac, Sheena, AndyJL, dvla3336, b0p, popeye1958, alca, barrypat, cornish hymer, denboy, barge1914, Caz, mike2222, Muddypuddler, Cheryl Harrison, Hobie, Dazzshw, helmit, Mikebike, AnneL, izwozral, azzoti, jas900, Gerry Attrick, Adriafan, GillC, knowledgeseeker, marchhare, roadroamer, Rutaria, Alun100, Martin1865, Ladyfreespirit, timatabsa, Rod, Dougbobbill, liz, Motoroamer, gabby82, GeoffL, groyne, yogibear, dianek08, Tartarus, outdoorellen, eriksleden, Silew,
Back