Forced to change the way I motorhome!!!

Righthand controls actually :)

And it's absorption fridges that are often brought back to life by inverting them, not compressor fridges. Compressor fridges can be damaged permanently by doing this - be careful.

Ok, so we've established that my fridge is an absorption fridge. Here's what looks like an authoritative statement that my turning the fridge upside down was the cure.

Small domestic absorption fridge

I had no idea I could cause an argument just be publishing a picture of a fridge.

Now about that transmission of a radio signal from inside a metal cabinet . . . ?

Oh - Edit: If you don't read down this far, here's a recommendation that you don't use them in campervans

Re: Small domestic absorption fridge

" I just dont like the thought of them being used in small camper vans, hospitals etc where if there was a leak, especially in a camper van, could possibly kill you. I know normal refrigerants are bad - but the stuff used in these irritates your throat badly and possibly stop you from breathing, where-as HFC's/CFC's I think personally myself are much safer, unless released in huges qauntities.
"

Last edited:
Chris, I'm confused. How can you tell the difference between an absorption fridge and a compressor fridge?

If it can be run off gas, it's an absorbtion fridge ... A compressor can only be run off AC or DC power.

If it can be run off gas, it's an absorbtion fridge ... A compressor can only be run off AC or DC power.

Thanks for this Chris, I didn't know this. Now I'm even more confused as to why my previous fridge worked on slopes on my new fridge doesn't. Both are three way fridges, but the new one has AES?

when we had the old three way, it was ok to start, then after time it started to play up, i serviced it and turned it upside down for 24hrs regularly and for a while this treatment, worked, never lasted very long. couldnt find a reason for it. eventually gave up...................after reading lots about it had to accept that these fridges often do that........

Up side down

Hi Maureenandtom,

I had to laugh when I read about turning the fridge up side down, we were camping in our old classic camper van at a show and I one of the other campers had the same problem and we took out fridge out sat it upside down in the middle of a circle of campers drinking beer and wine, but the look on other peoples faces walking by and you could hear their brains ticking but no one asked. And just one more thing when I used to deliver fridges for Currys we had to tell customers to leave them for 24 hours for the freon gas to settel so it must help.

Regards Snowbirds.

I believe so. It's frustrating that I can't find the original documentation particularly since I remember downloading a service manual whe we got back to England. It's as three-way Dometic fridge and I've just popped out and taken this picture. (Maureen will be upset that I didn't clean it before taking the picture - but we've just been back from a trip less than a week. It's usually cleaner than this!)

pic0003mi.jpg

I've no idea why it worked and I'd not argue if somebody said I must have disturbed something else taking it out and putting it in again.

But it's worked perfectly since.

Edit: Replacement picture - I was sent out to wipe down the fridge and take it again.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back