For cartophiles: Free 7-day os trial

bazzybabes

viewranger os maps.jpg

Walking Routes, Hiking & Cycling Trails, GPS & OS Maps | ViewRanger

All Explorer and Landranger 25,000 and 50,000 mapping 7-day trial to use with free Viewranger app.

If you like it, which you will, then its 24.99 a year.

Or you can buy individual map tiles, which cost only coppers, and last forever. I purchased 1:25,000 mapping of our local moors a few years back and I find it invaluable. But to have the whole country for 24.99 a year to carry on your phone or tablet - well.

Or try the free Lake District mapping on the app to get a feel for it.

Hope someone finds this interesting.

Been subscribing to this, OS service since it started.... And it's fab...
All OS maps in all the scales on phone/laptop/tablet and loads, of great features..
Bargain

Try the app Back Country Navigator for free access, via Bing, to all OS maps ...

Try the app Back Country Navigator for free access, via Bing, to all OS maps ...

Thanks Chris.

Trial version for 7 days, then £10.99 for pro version. Brilliant for world-wide mapping. Sadly only 1:50,00 OS mapping for UK.

Think I'll stick with Viewranger for walking and walklakes.co.uk for planning routes with 1:25,000 mapping on main pc.

Last edited:
I've been subscribing for two years now. I download maps to offline for an area I'm going to and use the recommended walks as well as making my own. The GPS on the phone keeps me on the right path.

I have long wanted to have the ViewRanger App, seems to do a lot more than plain mapping, but unfortunately they never got around to issuing a App on WindowsPhone.
I now use Geo GPS, this uses Bing to access full OS maps(25,000 and 50,000). It does quote that downloading offline maps are limited by cache size or to a tile, but I've never found the limits yet, it's a bit of a messy way of downloading, basically you open App go to area of map you want and 'scan' around till it's all downloaded (you have to do this zoomed in or out if you want 25,000 and 50,000). I'm very careful of how much data I use, and rarely switch data on, so I usually do this on WiFi, but you can just keep data on and it doesn't seem to use much.

I have long wanted to have the ViewRanger App, seems to do a lot more than plain mapping, but unfortunately they never got around to issuing a App on WindowsPhone.
I now use Geo GPS, this uses Bing to access full OS maps(25,000 and 50,000). It does quote that downloading offline maps are limited by cache size or to a tile, but I've never found the limits yet, it's a bit of a messy way of downloading, basically you open App go to area of map you want and 'scan' around till it's all downloaded (you have to do this zoomed in or out if you want 25,000 and 50,000). I'm very careful of how much data I use, and rarely switch data on, so I usually do this on WiFi, but you can just keep data on and it doesn't seem to use much.

Maybe better to ditch your Windows phone and buy a cheap Chinese Android one . . . you know it makes sense! ;-)

Thanks Chris.

Trial version for 7 days, then £10.99 for pro version. Brilliant for world-wide mapping. Sadly only 1:50,00 OS mapping for UK.

Think I'll stick with Viewranger for walking and walklakes.co.uk for planning routes with 1:25,000 mapping on main pc.

Sorry but that isn't correct.

You can use the demo version, with adverts, indefinitely. The OS maps are up to 1:25000 too!

It is however only available on Android.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back